• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

A pine cone at 270 yards!

Hey Y'all. 

A few weeks ago, I took a slow walk around my property and spotted some new possibilities for long range shooting off my deck. I managed to add in two more 100 yard targets, a 115 yard, two 125 yard, three 150 yard targets, and one at ~270+ yards! I say 270+ because it's on the side of a hill so, I can get 260 at the bottom and probably 300 further up. The long range stuff was something I only toyed around with once in a while. But, that changed when I got some Howler slugs! 

A few days ago I was out with my Red Wold printing some very nice groups. So, I grabbed my Howlers and sent them down range. 100 was a joke, 125 was easy, and they were grouping very well out to 150. The wind had died down to a stand still so, I spun my DOA Shooting bench around to try the new lane. It's been a long time since I tried shooting anywhere near this far and never with the Red Wolf. I zoomed out the Hawke scope and sent a few down range but, couldn't tell where they were hitting. Finally, I saw the hit! It splashed right at the snow line. It was much higher than I expected. But, it also makes sense since I was shooting slugs. I clicked up a few clicks... ok a LOT of clicks, and took aim at an old dead tree stump. I heard a very faint smack a few seconds later. 

It didn't take long before I was aiming to hit the small ragged pieces of wood that were sticking up from when the tree fell, long ago. Whenever I find myself looking for progressively smaller targets so quickly, I take it as a sign that this is within the range and shooting capabilities of the rifle, ammo, and myself. In other words, It's not luck. 

I used to shoot the great big fat pine cones at my previous residence. I think they were out at 125 and they were a lot of fun to shoot in the calm Summer evenings, while relaxing on the back deck with my R400. I spotted some out there at ~270 and thought, "Why not?" These weren't the big 'ol fat ones though. These were normal size, a little bigger than a golf ball. I moved my rifle over to the right to see where I was hitting. I figured about 9, maybe 10, mils down. Saw the splash at about 8. So, I moved a little closer and sent another one to confirm my poi. Got it! 8.25. Then, I moved over for the shot and sent it. Off it went in a perfectly straight line. No wobble, no curving in the wind, just a nice straight line. BAP! NAILED IT!! First try! That little pine cone jumped up into the air and I jumped right up off the bench and let out a holler in celebration! 

Now... I'm calling it 270 but, when I got the MTC Rapier range finder out again, it read ~185. At that distance and, with the slope of the hill side, it could have hit off the wrong spot. I'll have to walk out there, after I get back from work, and range my deck from the target area for a more accurate reading. 

BF56B1B7-D281-4915-987E-14EC7663FACD.1614894786.jpeg

31E4EB0F-67CA-4B19-9582-0D4B1E04B01F.1614894893.jpeg

A36E1AC1-1973-44F1-A780-A7130D717551.1614895083.jpeg

My setup - Daystate Red Wolf .22, Hawke scope (discontinued 😕), Sportsmatch height adjustable rings, 0db silencer, Accu-Tac FC-G2 bipod, Howler slugs (unsorted, straight out of the tin), DOA shooting bench, Caldwell rear bag, MTC Rapier range finder. 

Happy Shooting! 

11743448-1F20-4D93-8C94-5543F5CD41C6.1614894925.jpeg

A ways back when I belonged to the Varmint Hunting Association, we read stories of prairie dogs being shot at ranges that seemed impossible. 1500 yards, 2000 yards, 3000 yards. In Nevada when there was no wind. Just so you know...I was an air traffic controller in Nevada for a number of years and the wind never stops. However...My son, who did not shoot at the time had a theory. He said the shooters (sic) would drive around the desert and when they came upon a dog town, they would place an orange traffic cone in the middle of the town. Then they would retreat to a high vantage point, a considerable distance away and start blasting away with their smoke-poles at the cone. A while later, they would drive down and see if any dogs ran into their bullets. 

Yes the OP was shooting up hill and that angle would offset the affects of gravity ( a constant ) somewhat, but the time of flight was still in excess of one to two seconds and the pellet would have fallen to the ground before that-had the shot been made with the rifle level and parallel to the ground.

Don’t believe me? Try it yourself. Hold a pellet next to your rifle and drop it at the same exact time as you squeeze the trigger. They will both hit the ground at the same time.

My son shoots competitively at one mile. The shooters have to be shooting from an elevated location..

BTW..The shooters claiming the shots at the ranges stated above could not win the VHA annual balloon shooting contest in Pierre, SD at.....600 yards!

A ways back when I belonged to the Varmint Hunting Association, we read stories of prairie dogs being shot at ranges that seemed impossible. 1500 yards, 2000 yards, 3000 yards. In Nevada when there was no wind. Just so you know...I was an air traffic controller in Nevada for a number of years and the wind never stops. However...My son, who did not shoot at the time had a theory. He said the shooters (sic) would drive around the desert and when they came upon a dog town, they would place an orange traffic cone in the middle of the town. Then they would retreat to a high vantage point, a considerable distance away and start blasting away with their smoke-poles at the cone. A while later, they would drive down and see if any dogs ran into their bullets. 

Yes the OP was shooting up hill and that angle would offset the affects of gravity ( a constant ) somewhat, but the time of flight was still in excess of one to two seconds and the pellet would have fallen to the ground before that-had the shot been made with the rifle level and parallel to the ground.

Don’t believe me? Try it yourself. Hold a pellet next to your rifle and drop it at the same exact time as you squeeze the trigger. They will both hit the ground at the same time.

My son shoots competitively at one mile. The shooters have to be shooting from an elevated location..

BTW..The shooters claiming the shots at the ranges stated above could not win the VHA annual balloon shooting contest in Pierre, SD at.....600 yards!

This is a legitimate, honest question. What are you saying? That the OP is lying? There are tons of videos showing airgunners hitting targets at these ranges. I re-read the post and couldn't find where he said the rifle was level, so wouldn't it be prudent to assume it was canted upwards to compensate for the drop of the slug? Tominco is an above-average shooter, and I think he's familiar with the process of adjusting for long range shots. Again, just curious to what the point of your comment is?

James

Reactions: JimNM
I never stated that I was shooting in an uphill direction. The target was on a hillside which affected my ability to get a precise hit on the distance with the range finder. My rifle's location was higher than the target. In effect, I was shooting down. 

Furthermore, I was not using a stop watch to record the time. So, what seemed like a few seconds later could well have been much less considering that I'm anxiously waiting for audible feedback from the time the bullet is shot. Speed of sound ~1000 fps. Travel time to target with a rough overall speed of 750 fps is 1.08 seconds. Speed of sound back to my location is around .81 seconds. Again, rough estimates. That makes almost 2 seconds. 

BTW... This shooter has had multiple top 10 finishes at major competitions, and multiple podium finishes throughout the years. 

frankenfunk. 

There are people who are trying to understand what can be done with today’s modern air guns. It’s fun when people push the limits, and see what the results are.

why would you come in and mess up someone’s post with your stupid accusations, and you’re even more ridiculous video?I think I now understand what a troll is.

I too used to read Varmint hunter magazine, And was a member of the 500 yard club. The people on this forum are way better shots than the average guy who read that magazine.

mike

Great shooting Tom. With almost all of us here on AGN, you don’t need to justify your skill. We ALL know you have it, and have done it in competition at the highest level. Not only can you talk the talk, you can (and have) walked the walk. See you this year at RMAC and EBR, and hopefully at a few Extreme FT events in Phoenix. 

Nice shooting Tom. No need to explain yourself to anybody! It’s pretty sad when good shooters, that are very capable and willing to test the limits of air guns have to explain themselves to those that haven’t done it or aren’t willing to try. That’s too bad! Most that shoot air guns very frequently know what’s real and what isn’t. Alex and Coop said to say hello and tell you, “great shot”.

Have a great weekend. 

Stoti