• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A pigeon at 100yards is similar to a deer at how many yards? A moose?

Hello Everyone,

I have a few hunter friends that think I'm loopy because i get excited about hitting targets at 100yards with my .22 and .25. Then I get an earful of their long shots of 200, 300 yards etc.

So how to calculate equivalents of target and distance with different size targets? A pigeon at 100yards is similar to a deer at how many yards? A moose?

Take care,
K

A pigeon is about 30cm tall.

A deer is about 100cm tall.

Of course, numbers will vary depending on particular species, individuals, etc.

So if you want comparables to be the rough MOA of the shot (not taking into account what in particular you're aiming for on the target), it's a little more than 3 times harder to hit a pigeon than a deer. So 100 yard pigeon is like a 300-350yard shot for deer.

If rather than using length you use weight as a comparison, you'd be using the cube root of the ratio of weights. For similar-density objects that usually would give you the same comparable. The thing is, birds are far less dense (i.e. larger for their mass) than deer, so this comparison would make pigeon hunting seem harder than it is. With this comparable, you have deer in the 110kg range, and pigeon in the 0.338kg range, the cube root of (110/0.338) is about 6.87, i.e. this is like saying a 100 yard pigeon shot is a 687-yard deer shot. Presumably the above length comparison is better.

Last edited:
That's funny I give people crap when they show me there 300 yards rifle groups with a 308 and all the holes aren't just one big hole! They say, well I hit the 8 inch steel so it would be a kill shot on a deer.

Get back to me when you can deliberately place a 177 or 22 pellet into the eye of a squirrel 75 yards out REPEATEDLY.

Airguns are my most accurate rifles I own, even my match grade ammo shooters.

Just show him this and say a physicist did a very simplistic calculation especially for him to comprehend:

Velocity / Mass = Momentum (Linear)
Momentum indexed with target

Airgun and Pigeon

Velocity = 950fps
Mass = 25Gr
Distance 100y
Target size (Kill Zone) = 1” sq

950 X 25 = 23750
23750 / 100 = 237.50
237.5 X 1 = 237.50 Index

Centre Fire Rifle and Deer

Velocity = 2500fps
Mass = 120Gr
Distance = 400y
Target Size (Kill Zone) = 20” sq

2500 X 120 = 300 000
300 000 / 400 = 750
750 X 20 = 15000 Index

Comparison (Indexed)
15000 / 237.50 = 63.15 Times more difficult to hit a Pigeon at 100yards than a deer at 400yards.

;)

We all know scoring on pigeons in the KZ from the opposing end zone with an air gun is good shooting. 👍 so keep it up.
As for the OPs friends, there were a lot of assumptions thrown out there but the OP didn’t share any details about what his friends are shooting so we don’t know what we’re comparing to. Could be what ever they are shooting at 300 could be equally or even more impressive. We don’t know what we’re comparing to and obviously neither do the OPs friends.
The above formula is an interesting spin but again it’s based on the assumption that the OPs friends are shooting deer KZ sized targets. If they’re shootings MOA or ground squirrel KZ size targets with their .223s at 300 I don’t think it’d be anything to turn your nose up to

Reactions: UCChris
It is a kill zone and ballistics review. Look at the kill zone for each quarry. Then use the ballistics charts to look at drop and wind drift. 5 mph 90° wind. When drop and/or drift exceed kill zone the shooter becomes the most important even if the rifle is perfect (none are). Add the group size each ammo/rifle is capable of at that range and it layers on the added luck factor.

So using my TX200 as an example. Sighted in at 50 yards. Average group .75" (.40 to 1.0 common range). Kill zone is a head shot 1". So for drop... under 40 or over 60 requires shooter skill.

Screenshot_20221227_110918_ChairGun.jpg

With a 5 mph wind... anything over 35 yards is shooter skill.

Screenshot_20221227_110934_ChairGun.jpg

As 1" is about the group size at 50 yards... a good deal of luck plays a role anything over 50 yards.