A pellet I would love to see produced

Nothing like the WHACK of a Crow Magnum making contact. I'd line up for a heavy weight version with the hollow point filled in flat. Or have the front extended and get into the 34+ gr. range with a true semi wadcutter stepped profile.

ETA- until then the Crow Magnum is my go to pellet for pest birds.
What I used to do back in the day with the Crow Magnums is :

With a leather punch choose the right punch that would fit into the hollowpoint then either use tough leather or plastic of the right thickness, punch out a bunch of holes, collect the pieces and glue them into the hollopoints, tedious but was a fun exercise ;)

Reactions: Bandito

With a leather punch choose the right punch that would fit into the hollowpoint then either use tough leather or plastic of the right thickness, punch out a bunch of holes, collect the pieces and glue them into the hollopoints, tedious but was a fun exercise ;)

That's interesting, Manny! 👍🏼

Help me understand:
What were you hoping the leather-filled hollow-point would do better than the factory hollow point of the Crow Magnum?

Matthias

Manny,

that is a very interesting request.
Thanks for bringing this up. 👍🏼

JTS has come out with a heavy wadcutter in .22cal (18.80gr).

But in .25 and bigger, we have a big fat nothing....

❓️ Would you explain in more detail, what you expect a wadcutter to do — that a hollow point won't do (like H&N Crow Magnum or JSB UltraShock Heavy)?

I have, so far, no experience with wadcutters. But I'm interested. Help me understand, please.

Thanks! 😃

Matthias

View attachment 436324
Matthias you just made my day!

I have been wanting another option in 22wc, and this fits the bill.
Most of my pesting is inside 30 yards. Wadcutters are hammers.

Thank you

Pic of said tool? I've got a lot of those Eun-Jins laying around...
GsT
Here is the jig ;

SAM_0075.JPG

So you put the pellets in nose first

SAM_0076.JPG

Lock in the back plate

SAM_0078.JPG

I don't have any untouched pellets here but the tip sticks out and you just remove it with a box cutter

SAM_0080.JPG

Matthias you just made my day!
I have been wanting another option in 22wc, and this fits the bill.
Most of my pesting is inside 30 yards. Wadcutters are hammers.
Thank you

So glad to help!! 😃

I have been helped so many times by others on this forum! 🤝🏼

🟠 Here are two more economic options of (fairly) heavy wadcutters (same brand, different quality):

● Air Boss: Match Competition. (Air Boss is an Apolo brand.)
Xxx.jpg

● Same brand, lesser quality:
Apolo Champion
Xxx.jpg

🟠 And here is a hollow point that could also be defined as a wadcutter with a small (but deep) hole in it.
This particular pellet is special because if you have a gun with a high power tune you usually can't shoot wadcutters, they'll go at warp speed due to their typically low weight.

But the JSB UltraShock Heavy weighs 25.39gr in .22cal (also available in .177) — and promises ultimate destruction.... 😆

Xxx.jpg

I just ordered the JTS wadcutter a couple of days ago. In a couple of weeks I'll have them in Peru. The pigeons will NOT like it, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Matthias

That's what the pb ammo manufacturers are doing with their high velocity hunting rounds. Helps with BC.

Here is the jig ;

View attachment 458236

So you put the pellets in nose first

View attachment 458237

Lock in the back plate

View attachment 458238

I don't have any untouched pellets here but the tip sticks out and you just remove it with a box cutter

View attachment 458240

Very cool, Manny, thanks for the detailed pics! 🤝🏼

❓ So, how is the cutting off of the head accomplished?

Because your system could be used for any caliber and any shape of ammo. 👏🏼

Matthias

So glad to help!! 😃

I have been helped so many times by others on this forum! 🤝🏼

🟠 Here are two more economic options of (fairly) heavy wadcutters (same brand, different quality):

● Air Boss: Match Competition. (Air Boss is an Apolo brand.)
View attachment 458261

● Same brand, lesser quality:
Apolo Champion
View attachment 458262

🟠 And here is a hollow point that could also be defined as a wadcutter with a small (but deep) hole in it.
This particular pellet is special because if you have a gun with a high power tune you usually can't shoot wadcutters, they'll go at warp speed due to their typically low weight.

But the JSB UltraShock Heavy weighs 25.39gr in .22cal (also available in .177) — and promises ultimate destruction.... 😆

View attachment 458264

I just ordered the JTS wadcutter a couple of days ago. In a couple of weeks I'll have them in Peru. The pigeons will NOT like it, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Matthias
Back when I was using .22s to hunt those Ultra shock where called Skenko hollowpoint or something and where my favorite round,....they are basically a wadcutter never seen one expand like a hollowpoint.

How about .25 cal springer shooters? Seen any number of owners, me being one, that would love to see a wadcutter in .25 again for short range pesting.
By all means make some very heavy rounds like Manny would like to see but for springers, say something between 22-24gr??
H&N used to make the Beeman H&N Match pellets that had a listed weight of 21.6gr and why I figure something in that 22-24gr weight range would be just about right out of a 17-20fpe springer out to 30ish yards and make for a quite nice hammer on small pests.

All the facts above. Just to show some real world use, I shot the 18 gr JTS wadcutter and 18 gr domes yesterday. They are going about 820 fps out of my Concept Lite. These were at 25 yards. I’ve tested wadcutters through my Huntman also. They don’t like the speed the rifles are shooting them.

I plan on shooting them more in my Concept with the different transport settings to see how they like slower speeds.

View attachment 436459
Try knocking the speed down, you may fine accuracy improves,

Here is a 10 shot group from one of my .177 at 825fps

CB944A49-41E5-466C-B7E8-69094B44A9A3.jpeg

A Wadcutter will never be you long range hunting round,

The Keith bullet design is extremely popular for serious hunting in the firearm world, basically a very large Meplat bullet that can be almost considered a Wadcutter.

Plenty Wadcutters pellets in the smallest calibers but the .25 is a relatively new popular round in airgunning so the variety is considerably less then the smaller cousins.

If not a pellet I would love to see a trashcan style bullet being offered in .25 but it would have to be made with narrow riding bands ( cannot remember the name but someone used to make them many years ago )

Just check out Matt's Bullets .357 and .45 selection and there's a ton of semi-wadcutters and Wadcutters

This is my fav .38 boolit, tumble lube, any alloy, its such a great target round!

It would be very interesting to see it in .25 for airguns. There is a LOT of friction on those lube bands.