A pellet I would love to see produced

All the facts above. Just to show some real world use, I shot the 18 gr JTS wadcutter and 18 gr domes yesterday. They are going about 820 fps out of my Concept Lite. These were at 25 yards. I’ve tested wadcutters through my Huntman also. They don’t like the speed the rifles are shooting them.

I plan on shooting them more in my Concept with the different transport settings to see how they like slower speeds.

View attachment 436459
Now you are talking my language. The reality of wadcutters from sporter guns. Only shoot the JTS and drop the rest.

Reactions: Bandito
The problems with wadcutters have been mentioned in the previous posts. The detail design of the front of the pellet is critical to the extent of the problems, or more accurately, of the edges of the flat front. If the edges are square, i.e. the flat front goes right to the outer edge of the pellet face, then you have the maximum drag. Slightly rounding off the edges will reduce the drag significantly, the more the rounding, the less the drag will be. The drag is important as the lower the drag the higher the BC and the less the problems with wind and over stability at longer ranges.

The plot below shows how the drag varies with speed for different shaped edges. The numbers identifying each line refer to the ratio between the rounding diameter and the pellet calibre. Thus, 0 refers to a face with sharp edges, for a .25 pellet 0.1 has round edges of 0.0125 inches in radius, up to edges with a radius of .05 inches for the 0.4 line. The drag coefficients are derived from wind tunnel data for flat faces and some calibrated estimated data for pellets.

View attachment 436434
For those who do not like graphs, the values used are in the table below.

View attachment 436435

The 0.2 column values in the table were tested against the measured values for the Eley Match wadcutter pellet. The comparison is shown below.

View attachment 436438
The agreement from Mach 0.55 to 0.82 is relatively good, particularly as the 0.2 value is only a guess at a typical edge shape. The lines look to follow each other surprisingly well. The measured data below Mach 0.55 is more dubious, as it is the down range data.

With regard to the original post, the data is to show how sensitive small details of the shape of wadcutters are when it comes to drag, it will also affect the stability of the pellet.
Well yeah,...Wadcutters are never ment to be long range shooters for me is purely pistol hunting at short ranges going for the heart/lung shot that does no require the precision of a brain shot,
........If I'm going for the brain shot the standard domed pellet it's just perfect for me.

This is what I'm shooting now out my Huben pistol, Slightly modified EunJin 43gr,.....wish now when I had the machinist make the tool to cut the tip off I had him make it to cut out much more to give the pellet a bigger Meplat
SAM_0037.JPG
SAM_0036.JPG
SAM_0035.JPG

SAM_0038.JPG

For me is purely pistol hunting at short ranges going for the heart/lung shot that does no require the precision of a brain shot.

Manny,

thanks for clarifying that.

You are a very special hunter — with very special requirements.
Your request for such a heavy wadcutter makes more sense. 👍🏼

Matthias

All the facts above. Just to show some real world use, I shot the 18 gr JTS wadcutter and 18 gr domes yesterday. They are going about 820 fps out of my Concept Lite. These were at 25 yards. I’ve tested wadcutters through my Huntman also. They don’t like the speed the rifles are shooting them.

I plan on shooting them more in my Concept with the different transport settings to see how they like slower speeds.

View attachment 436459
This still seems to be VERY good results for a wad cutter going that fast at that distance.

I think the .25cal Eun Jin so-called "Domes" — rebranded Seneca (=Air Venturi) — are more of a WADCUTTER than the pointed version Manny showed above: At 35.80gr they have a respectable weight, too!

I just bought some to see how pigeons and rats "like them"....

Matthias

View attachment 458019
Wouldn't those be called a Semi-Wad Cutter?

Or the best of both worlds would be to just load the slugs backwards, Huge Metplat and you hollow point will seal due to the pressure of the shot.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Smitty

I think the .25cal Eun Jin so-called "Domes" — rebranded Seneca (=Air Venturi) — are more of a WADCUTTER than the pointed version Manny showed above: At 35.80gr they have a respectable weight, too!

Matthias

View attachment 458019
My kral 25 shoots these decent, but the point it'll shoot much better. Just have to hold over more than with the jsb 34s.

Wouldn't those be called a Semi-Wad Cutter?
Or the best of both worlds would be to just load them backwards.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Smitty

Smitty,

you're right! 👍🏼
I meant to write Semi-Wadcutter — but my brain had shut off before I was done typing.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks for the correction.
And your outrageous suggestion — well, I should try that with a number of pellets, actually!! 😆

Matthias

Smitty,

you're right! 👍🏼
I meant to write Semi-Wadcutter — but my brain had shut off before I was done typing.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks for the correction.
And your outrageous suggestion — well, I should try that with a number of pellets, actually!! 😆

Matthias
I seem to recall a guy on Youtube shooting a slug from a shotgun backwards and at the distance he was shooting it didn't appear to have any effect. IIRC

I do like the clean punch through paper with a wadcutter. I have a Redwolf in 22 and a Ghost in 25, I mostly shoot paper in the backyard, but I do have several raccoons that are hanging out, when they become a problem I may be trying them out.

Smitty

Round about 1990 I was shooting a Beeman R1 Lazerized, .20. This was recommended by them to kill ground squirrels. The Beeman store was local so I was in there all the time. The squirrels were a work issue so I was on them at least twice a week. Beeman would give me pellets to test on the squirrels. It was easy to see a difference in how they reacted. I do not remember which pellets worked the best, but I do remember ones advertised as a great hunting pellet were not that.

Matthias

View attachment 458019
I never had a gun that shot them well but has been many years since I stopped trying.......I might order a tin one of these days to test them on the Huben pistols

I never had a gun that shot them well but has been many years since I stopped trying.......I might order a tin one of these days to test them on the Huben pistols
My AF Condor shot them well until I 'de-tuned' it for my situation at the time. My SK-19 shoots them well, and yes, they fit the magazine!

GsT

Wadcutters .... the Flying Frying Pans = THWACK !!!!
Nothing like the WHACK of a Crow Magnum making contact. I'd line up for a heavy weight version with the hollow point filled in flat. Or have the front extended and get into the 34+ gr. range with a true semi wadcutter stepped profile.

ETA- until then the Crow Magnum is my go to pellet for pest birds.