A pellet I would love to see produced

I would love to see a company ( preferably JSB ) come out with a heavy .25 pellet in the 38-40gr range and as a Wadcutter.

I know that Hollopoints are sexy, I know that slugs are sexy but unfortunately in the airgunning world the Meplat is completely overlooked
As a hunter I rather have a big Meplat then a Hollowpoint.

A nice heavy Wadcutter with a lot of the weight in the front ( maybe make it with narrow riding bands like the EunJin ) would really fill an empty spot in today's airgun world.

Last edited:
Manny,

that is a very interesting request.
Thanks for bringing this up. 👍🏼

JTS has come out with a heavy wadcutter in .22cal (18.80gr).

But in .25 and bigger, we have a big fat nothing....

❓️ Would you explain in more detail, what you expect a wadcutter to do — that a hollow point won't do (like H&N Crow Magnum or JSB UltraShock Heavy)?

I have, so far, no experience with wadcutters. But I'm interested. Help me understand, please.

Thanks! 😃

Matthias

417741047.jpg

Unless hollow points are traveling at high velocity they don’t really mushroom that much, wad cutter punch a wider hole over a wider range of velocities, the only down side to flat heads is, the don’t like high velocity and loose stability at longer ranges but for close up work they are devastating

Bb

Manny,

that is a very interesting request.
Thanks for bringing this up. 👍🏼

JTS has come out with a heavy wadcutter in .22cal (18.80gr).

But in .25 and bigger, we have a big fat nothing....

❓️ Would you explain in more detail, what you expect a wadcutter to do — that a hollow point won't do (like H&N Crow Magnum or JSB UltraShock Heavy)?

I have, so far, no experience with wadcutters. But I'm interested. Help me understand, please.

Thanks! 😃

Matthias

View attachment 436324
What @bucketboy said is exactly the reason, and since the 900 fps range is where we usually work the velocity aspect is fine

There's been a lot of discussion on hunting forums about Meplat vs Hollowpoint and the consensus is that a wide Meplat is more efficient then Hollowpoints, cuts a more defined hole and since the weight is more on the front and solid they work better if they hit bone,.......but of course hollowpoints are so much more sexy ;)

JTS has a semi wadcutter in 25 that's decently heavy.

I haven't tried them since I have plenty of 25 ammo that hits where I want it, but the itch will get me sooner than later.

I'm skeptical that the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages. Mostly because wadcutters have been around for a long, long, long time, yet hunters have never popularly adopted them for hunting purposes. History itself is very telling.

I would think the range/accuracy relationship would be the biggest drawback, followed closely by the range/retained velocity relationship. But I am open minded to learn more. Curious if any hunters have done any real-world comparisons on game at practical airgun hunting distances.

I'm skeptical that the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages.

I would think the range/accuracy relationship would be the biggest drawback, followed closely by the range/retained velocity relationship. But I am open minded to learn more. Curious if any hunters have done any real-world comparisons on game at practical airgun hunting distances.
Correct, there are both advantages and disadvantages, but for close range low power where over penetration can cause an issue (damage to building etc) then a wad cutter is worth serious consideration due to the fact they produce a large wound cavity and are able to dump all their energy.

I'm skeptical that the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages. Mostly because wadcutters have been around for a long, long, long time, yet hunters have never popularly adopted them for hunting purposes. History itself is very telling.

The advantage is that if you practice/target shoot and hunt with the same round, you wouldn't have to reset the sights every time you change ammo.

A Wadcutter will never be you long range hunting round,

The Keith bullet design is extremely popular for serious hunting in the firearm world, basically a very large Meplat bullet that can be almost considered a Wadcutter.

Plenty Wadcutters pellets in the smallest calibers but the .25 is a relatively new popular round in airgunning so the variety is considerably less then the smaller cousins.

If not a pellet I would love to see a trashcan style bullet being offered in .25 but it would have to be made with narrow riding bands ( cannot remember the name but someone used to make them many years ago )

Just check out Matt's Bullets .357 and .45 selection and there's a ton of semi-wadcutters and Wadcutters

Last edited:
And as usual, all about PCP's...lolol. Springer shooters using .25 and yes, there are plenty of us, have been asking/wanting pellet makers to come back out with a .25 cal wadcutter.
You could also just buy the molds and pour your own. Former member Wayne52 may he be resting peacefully, had a mold and used to make his own. Search here or GTA for his posts on them.

And as usual, all about PCP's...lolol. Springer shooters using .25 and yes, there are plenty of us, have been asking/wanting pellet makers to come back out with a .25 cal wadcutter.
You could also just buy the molds and pour your own. Former member Wayne52 may he be resting peacefully, had a mold and used to make his own. Search here or GTA for his posts on them.
H&N used to make what was theirs originally called Hollowpoint but was essentially a Wadcutter, I liked it a lot and was real cheap and if I remember correctly was 26gr, but in today's world of way more powerful Airguns ( yes talking PCPs ) an heavier version would be fantastic.

I will eventually cast ( already have one mold for a heavy .25 pellet ) but for now prefer buying pellets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandito
The problems with wadcutters have been mentioned in the previous posts. The detail design of the front of the pellet is critical to the extent of the problems, or more accurately, of the edges of the flat front. If the edges are square, i.e. the flat front goes right to the outer edge of the pellet face, then you have the maximum drag. Slightly rounding off the edges will reduce the drag significantly, the more the rounding, the less the drag will be. The drag is important as the lower the drag the higher the BC and the less the problems with wind and over stability at longer ranges.

The plot below shows how the drag varies with speed for different shaped edges. The numbers identifying each line refer to the ratio between the rounding diameter and the pellet calibre. Thus, 0 refers to a face with sharp edges, for a .25 pellet 0.1 has round edges of 0.0125 inches in radius, up to edges with a radius of .05 inches for the 0.4 line. The drag coefficients are derived from wind tunnel data for flat faces and some calibrated estimated data for pellets.

wadrag.jpg

For those who do not like graphs, the values used are in the table below.

wadrag2.jpg

The 0.2 column values in the table were tested against the measured values for the Eley Match wadcutter pellet. The comparison is shown below.

wadrag3.jpg

The agreement from Mach 0.55 to 0.82 is relatively good, particularly as the 0.2 value is only a guess at a typical edge shape. The lines look to follow each other surprisingly well. The measured data below Mach 0.55 is more dubious, as it is the down range data.

With regard to the original post, the data is to show how sensitive small details of the shape of wadcutters are when it comes to drag, it will also affect the stability of the pellet.

All the facts above. Just to show some real world use, I shot the 18 gr JTS wadcutter and 18 gr domes yesterday. They are going about 820 fps out of my Concept Lite. These were at 25 yards. I’ve tested wadcutters through my Huntman also. They don’t like the speed the rifles are shooting them.

I plan on shooting them more in my Concept with the different transport settings to see how they like slower speeds.

IMG_2726.jpeg