A nutter quartet this morning

The first one in the video has a balance issue. That may be my fault. Earlier in the year, when I had convinced myself that my HW30s has enough power for consistent, humane kills on squirrels, I shot a nutter in the head, and watched in disappointment as it hopped off like a tiny kangaroo; I knocked something out of wack in the ol' noodle, but didn't quite get the job done.

I saw her bumbling around a time or two in the past couple months, but didn't make the connection until today. So I left part her bumbling in the beginning of that video. It's kind of sad, and I'm glad I finally got to put her down. The first shot, you can see was a chest shot. She ran up the side of the tree and paused to see how things developed. I was 95% sure she'd lose hydraulic pressure, pass out, and plummet back to the ground. But I didn't risk it, and fed her another pill, which knocked her off the trunk. (off camera)

The second one, ran up the tree to finish her seed and bark at me. While the camera chose to focus on the branches in the foreground, you can make out the squirrel behind them, barking at me and eating at the same time. She took a round through the clockwork, and fell at least 25' down, before doing a little breakdance for us.

The third one was just a nice head shot: in just above the ear and out the back of the skull on the opposite side.

After #3 took a round, #4 scrambled up the tree to keep a wary eye on me. She presented only a head shot, so I took it.

I'm mightily impressed with the Baracuda Hunters. They fly like Baracudas, which is to say efficiently and accurately, but they hit like Crow Magnums. I recovered two of them, and they had mushroomed quite well. Not quite as uniformly as Crow Magnums, but quite well enough, for something that is shaped so much like a dome.

One squirrel had a pellet just under the skin on the ribcage. It was one that I'd head-shot, so I was very curious how it made the trip through the head, down the neck, and around the other side of the animal. It was one of those light, pointed Crosman pellets. It seems I've got some competition in the neighborhood, only he is not using a powerful enough airgun, so he's just driving them out of his own yard and into mine, where I will finish them properly. ;)

Without further ado:

Full video:
Slo-mo 1:
Slo-mo 2:
Slo-mo 3:
Slo-mo 4:

Reactions: Gunnertrones