• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A new to me possible scam, what do you think?

I placed a wanted to buy ad. I received a PM response, saying contact this friend of mine he’s got one for sale. We negotiated a price and I sent him a PayPal payment immediately. He turned it down. And asked me to pay with Zelle. Then he claimed you could only take friends and family for PayPal.

I have course politely declined his offer. When I went back to the person who PMed me, and clicked on their name, nothing came up.

I’ve been burned before, what do you guys think?

mike

I placed a wanted to buy ad. I received a PM response, saying contact this friend of mine he’s got one for sale. We negotiated a price and I sent him a PayPal payment immediately. He turned it down. And asked me to pay with Zelle. Then he claimed you could only take friends and family for PayPal.

I have course politely declined his offer. When I went back to the person who PMed me, and clicked on their name, nothing came up.

I’ve been burned before, what do you guys think?

mike

The good news is it looks like you still have your money. There are several post on here with people being scammed out of their money with that exact phrase "contact this friend of mine he’s got one for sale". Even if it's not a scam the hassle and the not knowing for sure would make me move on. But it's likely a scam.

There is no reason in the universe not to accept PayPal with fees. F&F only is stupid. I would never buy from anyone who list that way. That being said, AGN classifieds is the only one I have bought from in many years. The other 2 or 3 are not options for me. Here are a few things that I avoid:

1. Poor grammar

2. No pics (Its the 21st century and you don't have pics?)

3. lack of knowledge of the item for sale (Did you steal it?)

4. Less than 100 post (Just my opinion)

5. Too high or too low price

6. PayPal F&F only (Why?)

7. Returns PM's 2 to 3 days later

8. Selling or listing for a friend

* I'm not saying those are scams, I'm just saying those are people in that last 20 years that I will not buy from ever. 

Why the hell are you paying FF with paypal? Anyone asking FF pp is a scamer. Yeah we got them tough guys in here will defend that by saying, we giving the buying the option not to pay the 3%. Wtf. Read pp policy. Seller pays the fee. Not buyer. Smh. Seller needs to pay all fee and stop asking for FF so they can scam. Never pay FF. FF is use as a gift to give money to friends and family. So if they aren't friends and family, why the hell are you using FF? Always pay as sale for good. So you can contact PP if anything goes bad. Pp will refund your money if you get scam. Use FF and you are FK. Lol 

Screenshot_20210506-145219_Chrome.1620330769.jpg

I have used F&F many times in both directions and I am not a scammer.

Buyer pays via PP and claims item was defective or not delivered, PP takes back the payment and refunds to the buyer. Seller is out the gun!

Seller asks for F&F and the buyer pays with no "protection", then buyer has no way to back out. The key is to talk to them on the phone. Careful conversation will usually reveal if it is legit or not. 

Basically using friends and family is like sending them a money order or cash. I have also used friends and family as both a buyer and a seller.

Obviously this guy did not have my best interest at heart.

I think it’s one of those deals, if you think it’s probably a scam, guess what - it is.

It was kind of funny, he also sent me a email saying quick send me your address so I can get it shipped while I’m on my way to work.

I also offered to pay the fees. I guess he didn’t like that idea.

mike

I have used F&F many times in both directions and I am not a scammer.

Buyer pays via PP and claims item was defective or not delivered, PP takes back the payment and refunds to the buyer. Seller is out the gun!

Seller asks for F&F and the buyer pays with no "protection", then buyer has no way to back out. The key is to talk to them on the phone. Careful conversation will usually reveal if it is legit or not.

Have you heard of tracking number? Also take photo of the item before shipping it out. They can claim they didn't get it all they want. If tracking said its delivered. Its delivered. Or you can pay a little for signature. 

By using FF. You are screw no matter what happens. Cause you are basically giving away free money lol. Again, if they ain't friends and family, why use that service? I would never send $2000 FF to a stranger. Lmao. No matter if they talked to you on the phone or not.

If I’m on an established auction site like eBay or GunBroker, I’m happy to pay for the goods friends and family if they demand it. I’ll give you an example, if my options are friends and family or a postal money order, or a cashiers check, and the guys in good standing and he’s been on that auction site for years with good feedback. I will usually send the friends and family. Saves me a trip to the post office or the bank, and it’s no more dangerous than sending out a cashiers check. I learned that from experience.

On the other hand if I don’t know the person I’m buying from at all, and they’re operating in the Wild Wild West..Like Airgun nation or the yellow forum, Where there is no contractual obligation, I want to pay the fees myself and make the payment on PayPal where I am protected.

mike

Venmo and Zelle are ways to take your money with nothing in return! The only way to pay nowadays is an invoice from Paypal originated from sellor to the buyer, as the sellor must give his personal info to xreate the invoice. Buyer must pay with a good credit card that garentees his purchase. This way if no gun is recieved he can cance his cc and paypal has someone to go after. I was scammed 3 times trying to buy a rifle, spent over 1500 dollars trying to arrainge the delivery from 3 different sellors. In the end it didnt cost me a dime as the cc company refunded all my scammed money. Once you ask for a personal invoice from a paypal seller, you will know if he is a scammer, then your second defense is your reputable CC to garantee your purchase!