A new take on steel resettable targets

Michael

Administrator
Staff member
One of our forum members (wlbryce) has been working on a simple low maintenance resettable target. This is a prototype of a life size sparrow. When hit the entire target falls over then springs back to life..... but there are no springs involved. Logan uses high powered magnets. I shot the sparrow with a .22 caliber 30 FPE air rifle. Again this is just a prototype, but I thought you all might want to check it out and give him some feedback.

Cleaver idea, looks neat and well made.

I'd keep negs to myself if not asked, but.... how is this an improvement over a spinner? There is a lot more into this than a simple spinner, presumably a lot more cost as well. 

Wylbryce, if you're looking to market these. (Assuming I'm correct) What do we get out of the extra cost? Also, the legs and tail look like misses would trash um. Best of luck!

Awesome target, looks beautifully made.
The only thing is that it pops back up to fast, if you don't hear the impact you don't know if you hit it.
IMHO: If it could be made so that when the target is nocked down it would slowly pop back up after a couple of seconds it would be better. My .02¢ 

Definitely a lot better than anything I could of made.

That is a really cool action target, with a clever use of "earth magnets?" Concern: doesn't repeated impact weaken the magnet? If so, I wonder how many hits the target can take before needing a rebuild? KzooRichie: I'd say "better" than a spinner if only that it returns to the same position instantly, without "sway" (sway not being a big deal, really). Nicely done, just keep a can of spray paint with you for touching up, once it gets so shot up it becomes difficult to tell if or where you hit.

I like the idea. I'm thinking it might be nice to have the legs become counter weight and the magnets hold the target vertically. Hitting the target makes it rotate horizontally and the counter wright would bring it back a bit slower until it get into the magnets field and snaps it into position and holds it there. It appears the target does not go down enough to disappear and you see more of the pellet impact. If the target rotated a full 90 degs it would appear to flash and be more obvious that you made a hit. I hope this was constructive.

I did not know for sure that blows ie dropping a magnet could damage it. I heard it enough to believe it. Google fu confirms it's true, but the risk is with permanent magnets, not rare earth magnets which I presume this target uses. "And the reason is this: In a magnet the electrons in the atoms are spinning in the same direction, which gives a magnet its magnetic domain-north or south-and creates a magnetic field. 
If the electrons are spinning every which way, the domains are scattered and the magnet is not magnetized. 
Dropping, hitting, or heating a magnet will disturb the magnetic field-the spin of the electrons goes out of alignment and becomes random. (If you heat the magnet, the electrons start moving more quickly and can vibrate out of alignment with the domain.)"
Source. http://www.answers.com/Q/Why_does_a_permanent_magnet_weaken_when_you_drop_or_heat_it