• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A Murder of Crows

1598665988_16650765295f49b504308d95.55392574.jpeg
Having a crow nuisance lately near one of the properties I manage. Literally about 50 of them going insane. Anyone ever deal with crows? From what I hear if you shoot one and the others see it, they will leave you alone...

I have a permit to take them out under a business located on the property. Problem is, I like crows. Dang they are loud though.

Crows are super smart animals. If they see you take one of them down they will break out into a frenzy and begin squawking and circling. Afterwards they will likely avoid the area entirely. My uncle used to have a problem with them around his house. Only took 1 blast of a shotgun to make them disappear for good. That was about 3 years ago, and since then he claims to have only seen a couple on the property.

I like them too. I like things that are clever. We get a flock of 70, easily, at around dusk, settling in around the pond. It's kind of awe-inspiring even though they are not huge threatening birds. But they might think they are. They smack our skylights with their beaks, trying to get in. They drill a corner of the house for I know not what reason. They strut and flit and if we stay away from the window, they hang out; if we come close, they beat it sooner or later. They try to eat the suet we leave out and they take a bath. They seem to know they're in charge and like it, and I'm kind of charmed by it.

We are not allowed to shoot them here, at least now, if I recall. Didn't pay much attention since I rarely saw them in such force before. I've read that they don't harm songbirds, but I'm inclined to call baloney on that, as they are smart and opportunistic, and far smaller birds kill songbird babies etc. all the time. I know crows eat meat when offered.

Even their being kind of creepy is okay with me. I chuckle and watch in awe at their atmosphere of grim collusion and dread.

I rarely shoot animals. A lot of times I see something in my crosshairs and don’t pull the trigger but just enjoy the animal by sight

same here......mostly. Will not hesitate to pull the trigger when an invasive house sparrow or starling shows up at my bird feeder! I have a gang of mourning Doves At my feeder everyday and I won’t shoot them even if it is the season, too little meat to be worth while anyways. Crows aren’t welcomed either as they are simply too smart for their own good and they have no natural predator anymore, they are known to kill and eat anything they can get their beaks on. They will watch and stalk birds nest and raid them.

I figured out what to do. I talked to a farmer down the st this morning, and he said they just use shotgun blanks and it scares them for a year or two.

Bull Butter.... ^^^

2nd smarest animal in North America. Easiest bird to call in and shoot if not educated. If educated then you will only kill him with a rife. I know this is a airgun forum so I’ll not post pics of firearm hunting. 

So much information out there about crow hunting it’s silly and plain wrong. 

I heard crows will purposely drop(place)a nut not only in the middle of a two lane road, but with strategic precision and in a tires path. By the tire cracking the nut open the driver has made snacking easy for a crow. I myself have witnessed this. Drove on a country road, and I pass a crow off to the side. I look in my rear view mirror and see him hop out and pick something up and fly off.

there was no road kill or anything visible that I drove over, so it must have been something that needed cracking open, lol

I figured out what to do. I talked to a farmer down the st this morning, and he said they just use shotgun blanks and it scares them for a year or two.

Bull Butter.... ^^^

2nd smarest animal in North America. Easiest bird to call in and shoot if not educated. If educated then you will only kill him with a rife. I know this is a airgun forum so I’ll not post pics of firearm hunting. 

So much information out there about crow hunting it’s silly and plain wrong.

Will this not work? Or are you saying that not shooting them is the wrong move? Do you think they would not learn?

Thanks for the clarification.

I google searched it and it seems like shotgun blanks have been used widely: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dispatch.com/article/20081220/news/312209751%3ftemplate=ampart

And yes, moving back to airguns, I know of one person that shot a crow with a .22 Marauder at a pretty good distance on a golf course. The other crows that had been perching near by didn’t come back. Interesting that they are that smart. How long do they live in general?

Amazing about that 🥜 nut story ^

Crazy