A meal for a hawk

Show of hands, how many of you have shot a pest bird and had a bird of prey fly down to feast on it?

I shot this pigeon off a telephone line and it dropped to the ground. After a moment this red tailed hawk flew in to grab it and carry it off. I was surprised and it was a beautiful thing to behold.

20201009_174737.1603872062.jpg

I had shot a ground squirrel last year from about 75 yards. It tumbled off of the very large boulder that it was upon and hitting the ground rolled downhill for about 15 yards or so and paused. Watching closely, I could see it moving, as I drew another bead on it, but after wriggling around, it continued to roll down the open bushed hill (long hill!). It finally came to rest so I just drew another bead on it when a VERY large brown wing came into view through my scope. I immediately stopped my trigger pull and moved the muzzle away to discover a large Golden Eagle sitting atop my squirrel, which was now about 40 yards out. Totally surprised, I stood in awe as the great bird flew off with the squirrel in its talons. That same eagle regularly visits that hillside and sits on a large boulder overlooking that hillside when ever it sees me shooting in the area. A truly magnificent, regal bird.

I also had what I believe to be a Prairie Falcon (It was definitely a Falcon), nab a downed barnyard pigeon just is it hit the ground from my shooting it from a light pole at my permission property. It immediately flew upon a large haybarn to munch its prize throwing feathers everywhere. What a beautiful bird of prey as I observed it through my scope (without a pellet in the chamber)! I had that exact same experience happen with a Cooper's Hawk at the same power pole and it too flew to the haybarn to enjoy its 'free' prize.

Lastly, after shooting a Starling from a tall bare Eucalyptus tree, a large Red Tail Hawk flew down from a tree behind me and grab the dead starling taking it back to 'his tree' to munch it. That Red Tail is a regular at that location that I see most every weekend that I go there. I try to provide it with a good diet of Starlings when I can.

Raptors are the most beautiful birds in the world in my opinion.

mike

I responded to this post earlier in the week, and ironically something somewhat similar just happened to me today. I like to keep the red squirrels at bay, they tend to destroy things. Like houses and decks. I saw one quite agitated up on a tree limb about 50 yards away this morning. He was shaking his tail Vigorously. They usually move so fast they’re almost impossible to shoot. This one was stationary. Big mistake.

I had a .177 Loaded and Handy, Not my first choice but very accurate. I popped him with it and he dropped like a rock. Then I saw him slowly pulling himself back up the tree with great effort, front legs only. He made it about 6 feet up the tree, I had the crosshairs on him and was just hitting the second stage on the trigger for the finish shot, and a huge black Blur jumped out of the brush beneath him and pulled him down out of sight. 

It was a big midnight black cat. We have a truce because he kills the mice. I know he also eats the stuff I leave lying around. But I’ve never seen him pull something down right in front of me. He just came out of nowhere, it was like a horror movie in real life for squirrels.

Very cool. 

mike