• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other A Little Webley

Birmingham longbow & tomahawk both in .22 .

IMG_8811.png

IMG_8810.png

IMG_8735.jpeg

IMG_8737.jpeg

Here's my British built Longbow. Custom work by Jan Kraner. ( spelling? ) Beautiful, hand checkered, walnut stock. A trigger that rivals any other piston powered gun's trigger. Shoots as smooth as silk and as straight as an arrow.View attachment 464671
That is a stunning example,I watched your video on YouTube. Did you find any background information on the rifle ? Because it looks like Steve pope v-Mach might of built the gun . The longbow is a bit shy on stroke 77mm and he did a stroke conversion +6 you could get 8 but sacrifice the auto safety. Made the rife more well mannered especially in 177 . If it is a pope gun it worth money and definitely a keeper. Rare as hens teeth . Keep up the good work on the channel it’s bloody marvellous.👍
Atb
Brummie Steve

Last edited:
That is a stunning example,I watched your video on YouTube. Did you find any background information on the rifle ? Because it looks like Steve pope v-Mach might of built the gun . The longbow is a bit shy on stroke 77mm and he did a stroke conversion +6 you could get 8 but sacrifice the auto safety. Made the rife more well mannered especially in 177 . If it is a pope gun it worth money and definitely a keeper. Rare as hens teeth . Keep up the good work on the channel it’s bloody marvellous.👍
Atb
Brummie Steve
How did he increase the stroke on the side latch piston? Shorten the piston or modify the latch slot?

Reactions: Steve 1974
I think both . Some were rotated 180 and a new slot milled along with the latching slot ,6mm removed from the skirt . 8mm required a modified tomahawk cocking link . The chap who did the development with Steve has passed away, both gone so much of the information is in owners rifles . I have seen stroked pistons but never measured them .an interesting one was how it was glided using a square block opposite the latch instead of buttons or rings .most transfer ports were enlarged to 3.2 . Made the 177 very smooth to shoot .venom did advise webley to make the stroke 83-84 but they ignored it and went with 77-78 mm . Bit daft really as when the factory introduced the short stroke tomahawk it was 85mm as I remember.

I’m running two stroked Longbows.. not for power but shot cycle. 6 mm is where it needs to be 4 will be ok but still snappy. Biggest issue is getting rid of the factory parachite seal and porting the gun.. much shorter spring and some weight.
it’s the best 12 ft lb gun I own. There ways about doing it. Two involve the factory piston. Third is new piston.

Here's my British built Longbow. Custom work by Jan Kraner. ( spelling? ) Beautiful, hand checkered, walnut stock. A trigger that rivals any other piston powered gun's trigger. Shoots as smooth as silk and as straight as an arrow.View attachment 464671
Beautiful rifle Kev. You are a lucky dog to have found it!!

I’m running two stroked Longbows.. not for power but shot cycle. 6 mm is where it needs to be 4 will be ok but still snappy. Biggest issue is getting rid of the factory parachite seal and porting the gun.. much shorter spring and some weight.
it’s the best 12 ft lb gun I own. There ways about doing it. Two involve the factory piston. Third is new piston.
Have you made your own or gone to o ring ?

Made my own pistons and modded factory ones. I make my own cup seals .. I DO NOT LIKE O RING SHOT CYCLE. BEEN THERE done that.

12 ft lbs is the sweet spot with stroked guns.. I’ve had them at 14 but why. No gain and cocking and cycle suffers.
Yes not keen on o rings . The red replacement seals from knibbs over here are pretty good . Believe you know of nick Simmons he’s got my tomahawk on the bench to shortstroke and glide he will probably use a red seal or modified Diana.

Atb
Brummie Steve
Thanks Steve. I'll have to do some research when time permits. Someone spent some time on this rifle. No question that they knew exactly what they were doing.

I haven't even really shot mine yet. Haven't pushed a pellet through it. The scope wasn't mounted straight. So what I wanted to do is straighten it. But it had sticky-goo rings and side clamps that just about always cant your scope off center. I didn't have any 30mm rings that actually center so I ordered some. Not too big a deal because I'm pretty busy and spare time, what little I have, has been trout fishing a rugged little mountain creek last few weeks.

Glad I started this post. I appreciate the gun pictures posted. And Some great information shared. Especially A.G.R. and Steve 1974. Thank you, all who posted. Keep it going. We don't hear enough about Webley.