A little too close for comfort…

I'm on my phone but it appears to be a Northern Pacific Rattlesnake.

Motorhead & a previous poster both mentioned Diamondbacks being in Northern California but I'm fairly certain that is not correct. I believe they're only found in Southwest CA.

[Edit] Make that southeastern CA for the Western Diamondback. Southwest would be the Red Diamond Rattlesnake. My mistake.

Not that it really matters. A Rattlesnake whether a Diamondback or Northern Pacific is no joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty911
See the fat body and thin neck? Dead giveaway for a viper. Copperhead and cottonmouth same. Eyes will have vertical pupils if you see them. I assume y’all know they can still bite you for several hours after they’re dead. Even if the head is cut off, so be very careful disposing of one if you kill it.
Great, never liked them when they were alive. Now I find out they can even bite after they are decapitated. 😂

Just seeing the picture scares me. Supposedly we have timber rattlers here, but I have never seen one.
I've killed 4 in the last 2 years. If it's poisonous and I see it it's dead. I've lost 2 dogs to Mojave green rattlers and I'm not going to lose any more. Thankfully there aren't any Mojaves around where I live now. I've spent between 12k and 13k $ saving 2 other dogs that got bite. Just don't have that kind of money now since retirement. My last kill. Good ol'1377 to the head.

IMG_20210813_154426.jpg