• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A little too close for comfort…

Wow, you were lucky, lucky, lucky!

Once, on a brisk walk in the desert with air rifle in hand, I suddenly heard a snake rattle behind me. Turning and looking back I saw a small 18 - 20 inch rattler coiled under a tiny bush exactly 9 inches from my footprint in the dirt. The snake's eyes were clouded and the skin had a faded appearance indicating it was in shed. I'm no snake expert but maybe that saved me from being bitten.

Well guys, for those of you that said, “good for you for giving him a pass”, that’s not quite how it went down and now I sort of feel bad. He took a .30, 54gr slug to the head. I’m just too leery about having one near our shooting benches. Anywhere else, I would have let him go. The fact that my heart almost stopped and I had to check my shorts might have had something to do with it too. We’ve never seen a rattlesnake here before and that’s the way I like it! We rarely if ever eat here, never seen a mouse, but for whatever reason he like this spot. 

Michael, I’ve heard anti venom and the related expenses are out of control expensive. Although that would be a huge burden, I was thinking about him almost ruining my six day holiday weekend…With no Honey-Do-List! All shooting, all day, every day!😜

Everyone have a great holiday and don’t forget those who have given everything for the freedoms we enjoy! Like my favorite cousin!

Jason Buzzard, KIA-Baghdad, Iraq, 6-21-2006.

Stoti

@stoti
I faced the same problem how do you fix it
526F5A37-D42A-4349-B8B3-978947A3DC8A.png

ANY poisonous snake that tried to bite me would be a DEAD snake.....
There, I fixed your post for you LOL. We're in a severe drought and it's a bad snake year. Shot a water moccasin with a CO2 pistol July 4. Was in one of our gardens and we never see them anywhere near the house. Told my wife she needs to wear her snakeproof boots when gardening. Y'all keep your eyes peeled and ALWAYS look before you pick anything off the ground.

Reactions: Kraemer99
Stoti, Last summer or the one before I was hunting with Centercut. We split up to go in different directions & all of a sudden I see him jump BACKWARDS about 3 ft. Rattler sitting on the rocks he was headed to! Close call. Since then I've been VERY careful during the summers to watch the ground when I'm moving to different spots & especially moving by piles of rocks. Can make for a very bad day should one connect!!! Glad you're OK.

Here in Northern California's warmer and drier interior, Diamond back rattlers are a fact. We don't see them often and they don't go after you or seek a confrontation either. Quite the contrary actually !!!
Glad your quicker than a Mongoose in avoiding a strike attempt .... Be well and listen for what sounds like a air leak when out in the wilds, They really don't make a rattling sound LOL.

Here in Northern California's warmer and drier interior, Diamond back rattlers are a fact. We don't see them often and they don't go after you or seek a confrontation either. Quite the contrary actually !!!
Glad your quicker than a Mongoose in avoiding a strike attempt .... Be well and listen for what sounds like a air leak when out in the wilds, They really don't make a rattling sound LOL.
You mean, like the air leaks I unfortunately hear occasionally with some airguns? 😀

Just teasing, but I did not know about the “air leak” sound. Watched too many TV Westerns.