• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A Little Something I Designed

Howdy folks.

I am new here (just signed up a few days ago). I am a long time powder burner and have one PCP (Pardini K12).

I just ordered my first PCP rifle, a Taipan Veteran Long in .22. I figured as I am waiting on it to arrive, I'd design a small moderator for it, so tonight I fired up Fusion 360 and here's what I came up with in a few hours.

I designed this can to direct-thread onto the Veteran's barrel shroud. The diameter is the same as the should, so it will be a seamless fit. It is 30.5mm wide and 183mm (7.2") long. I designed it to be 3D printed in one piece.

This is mostly for fun. I enjoy design work and it was something to do to pass the time. Tomorrow I'll print one up. I can't wait for my Veteran to get here and do some testing. This is going to be fun!

Here is a quick render

Taipan-Veteran-Render.1619596562.jpg

And a cutaway showing the "K" baffles

Taipan-Veteran-Cutaway.1619596587.jpg

And one in clear to see how it is all designed

Taipan-Veteran-Clear,jpg.1619596617.jpg

Reactions: SHOMER
Does your machine have the resolution to print that fine thread?

Thanks everyone! I am extremely excited to get the rifle. I thought about getting into PCP for many years and bought a 10 meter Olympic pistol a couple years ago to get my feet wet. I attended a few 10 meter competitions and did all right, but never got into any PCP Rifles, until now.

Matt, yeah, I can print down to .05 mm layer height, so it has plenty of resolution. I am going to print this at .1 mm layer height though as it would just take too long printing any finer.

Does your machine have the resolution to print that fine thread?

Thanks everyone! I am extremely excited to get the rifle. I thought about getting into PCP for many years and bought a 10 meter Olympic pistol a couple years ago to get my feet wet. I attended a few 10 meter competitions and did all right, but never got into any PCP Rifles, until now.

Matt, yeah, I can print down to .05 mm layer height, so it has plenty of resolution. I am going to print this at .1 mm layer height though as it would just take too long printing any finer.

Awesome!

Finished product should look beautiful 👍

Interesting approach. It is a similar design that I have successfully designed and used many times sans the bleed holes in yours, they are not necessary and add no value in sound reduction. I build mine in AL6061 T6. I hope your moderator in plastic is strong enough and dimensionally stable enough to remain in line with the barrel. My experience with 3D plastic indicates it will fail. I suspect you are under estimating the force applied inside a moderator..I wish you luck. Please let up know the state of your moderator after 100 rounds.