• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A little help needed removing a very difficult to remove O Ring

I have a late model FX Crown that has a leaking O ring. It is item D29 in the FX Illustrated Parts Breakdown (IPB) on their website. Part number 19790. It is deep in the hole in the receiver for the pressure regulator. I own many various O ring tools and none will sufficiently grip the old O ring. I do not want to scratch any of the surfaces of course, so I'm looking for some advice. Perhaps there is a special tool or technique?

For those hard to reach orings you make your own tools. Stab them, then lift them out.

96CC4CE2-7DF5-42B8-9736-0F3FB51AFD27.jpeg

Brass oring picks are a good option too. The wouldn't damage the oring grove that easily
I'll be D@#^! , They do exist on and can be bought at amazon. A descent variety if your not picky,lol, and prices go from $13.oo for 1 basic looking pick to $20.oo for a 3pc set. This is my pick of the picks I'm going to order,(no I did'nt just do that,lol) It has a rating of 5 star - 53% / 4 star - 20% / 1 star- 14%.Only 1 tip has the pick feature,The stem or grip is a very thin dart-board dart(duh) like shaft minus the fletching. I also saw a set of 10 (the basic dental pick design) for $100.oo, and several like items in the $30.oo -$40.oo range as well. Thx Mr corny with avatar thumb (just kind of struck me funny,made me chuckle.no offense) A Really useful tip, Makes me wonder what other little nuggets like these you might drop. Thx again.(y)

Last edited:
On that o ring your not really trying to peel it from under the o ring off of its groove like you would say, off of a regulator held out on your hand in the open. On that inner tunnel inside the reg cavity no way you can do that cause you can’t lever sideways.

The tools that VETMX shows or even a long sewing needle works best. What you’re going to do is “take a stab at it”, or prick it, then pry it out in a fast pull. If you go pulling it slow you’ll just cut the o ring where you pricked it

Reactions: 2L8
Update. Thank you all. You were great help. I made my own tool as VETMX said and I ordered a set of dental picks as Patrick suggested. Both worked well, but I found the real secret to doing this easily was to puncture, pry out and push down, not pull up. Continue pushing down and then twisting the 90 degree end hooking the then stretched O ring. Then, simply pulling it out. Just to prove that was the best technique, I did it 3 times.

Reactions: Feinwerk
Using a metal tool, whether brass, steel or whatever to remove an O-ring is a bad idea. Plastic.
You are of course correct, but my plastic tools were not sharp or stiff enough to make that happen. This ring is only 1.5mm thick in a 10mm threaded hole and positioned right at the end of the 20mm long threads Pretty much a first class bitch!

Hi everyone
I have a similar problem as Steve-In but I have found that the O-ring in question has petrified and I can't stab it with a dental pick or a needle. I had a similar petrification o-ring problem on the brass pressure regulator and I eventually placed the brass regulator in acetone and after about two hours, the o-ring dissolved and came loose in small bits. This time because of the two holes inside the hole, I don't think the same method is advisable. Any suggestions?

Aluminum, someone here will know the exact variety …
Thank you Scotty1
Harbor Freight dental picks, nice selection and y can’t beat the price. Used them on my FX Crown getting a oring out below the regulator.
Thank you for the info. I do have dental picks. The problem is the O-ring has become rock-hard and the dental picks can't penetrate the O-ring to remove it and with a dental pick I risk scratching the surface
If you are trying to remove a Buna N o-ring that is located in / on a metal piece, you can use Brake Cleaner to soften the o-ring. You could use a Q-tip to apply it. Brake Cleaner attacks rubber making it soft and swell. Just make sure not to get it on areas that you do not want it on.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a try.