A little experiment using my HW44

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I decided to shoot 2 groups of 5 shots each for all the better quality 177 pellets I currently have in stock. I shot straight from the tin/box with no sorting, except the JSB Match S100 which were already all sorted. I then took the average of each pair and documented those.

First the pellets I am shooting
IMG_2975.jpeg

Here are the target pairs.

IMG_2976.jpeg

The overall group size averages are:

Tied for smallest = JSB Exact 8.44 and H&N Baracuda FT 9.57 at 4.5mm
Second = FX 10.3 gn at 5.3mm
Third = RWS Superpoint 8.2 gn at 6.71mm
Fourth = JSB Match Premium Heavy 8.26 gn wadcutter at 7.1mm
Fifth = QYS green box wadcutters 8.18 gn at 7.58mm
Sixth = QYS red box Olympic wadcutters 8.18 gn at 8.16mm
Seventh = H&N Finale Match wadcutters 8.18 gn at 8.29mm
Eighth = JSB Match S100 wadcutters 8.18 gn at 9.64mm (Largest average group size and only batch that were sorted).

Take away from this experiment is that my particular HW44 prefers domed or pointed pellets over wadcutters. I doesn't seem to be fussy about weight or head size or sorting.

This was a fun exercise for me and helped me sort my pellet stash in my mind — stick with the three that give the smallest average sized groups. These have been my go-to pellets in the various challenges.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I decided to shoot 2 groups of 5 shots each for all the better quality 177 pellets I currently have in stock. I shot straight from the tin/box with no sorting, except the JSB Match S100 which were already all sorted. I then took the average of each pair and documented those.

View attachment 401353

View attachment 401354

Eighth = JSB Match S100 wadcutters 8.18 gn at 9.64mm (Largest average group size and only batch that were sorted).

Take away from this experiment is that my particular HW44 prefers domed or pointed pellets over wadcutters. I doesn't seem to be fussy about weight or head size or sorting.

This was a fun exercise for me and helped me sort my pellet stash in my mind — stick with the three that give the smallest average sized groups. These have been my go-to pellets in the various challenges.
Hello @rsfrid

Thank you Ross that is some very good information. However :ROFLMAO: , man you shot all the targets too good :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Coming in eighth place is still dog-gone good. Surely surprised that the QYS were not at the top or very near the top of the list. Just goes to show you that some guns like one pellet and not an another :unsure:. Not surprised to see the H&N up there, I found them in .177 to be excellent.

Thanks for sharing,
ThomasT

Reactions: rsfrid
7 yds indoors. No I don't own Crosman in 177. I do have them in 22 cal, however.
I said Crossman's because most shooters refer to them as inferior . I am going to shoot another 30 yard challenge target using Crosman in the same FWB 600 at the same distance . We shall see ! Not today / 44 degrees misty rain and 10 mile winds Burrrrr

I said Crossman's because most shooters refer to them as inferior . I am going to shoot another 30 yard challenge target using Crosman in the same FWB 600 at the same distance . We shall see ! Not today / 44 degrees misty rain and 10 mile winds Burrrrr
I'm not sure "inferior" is fair. They are good pellets if your gun shoots them well. My Weihrauch seems to no be fussy, but I haven't found Crosman in 177 here, so I'm unable to test.

Last edited:
I'm not sure "inferior" is fair. They are good pellets if your gun shoots them well. My Weihrauch seems to no be fussy, but I haven't found Crosman in 177 here, so Inammunable to test.
i agree Crossmans are good pellets just depends on the gun . find them @ Walmart usually or Tractor supply

View attachment 401353

View attachment 401354

Great information