A historical first in the airgun world!

I have not read through all of the responses my, questions are below:

1. How many competitors to this point have won contests like this with airguns shooting against professional rimfire shooters and their incredible equipment and $50 ammo? One (I know attendance was light because of Covid).

2. How many competitors build their own rifles from scratch. From chunks of metal and larger chunks of wood (btw Mike I was tickled by the stock)? One

3. How many competitors made their own bullets? One

4. How many competitors pulled the winning trigger at the right time, time again and again. A Few. 

This is a science-fiction stuff. He designed and built his own Airgun. And kicked everyone’s butt with it.

mike

Congrats to Mike, but I have some questions being ignorant of the rules of this competition.

Is that a remote trigger release? And the gun is in a rest that is fully adjustable, so... does the shooter *simply* (chuckle) sight in the target and then, without even touching the gun, *pull* the trigger using a remote device?

Again, excuse my ignorance, but it seems that the shooter has been taken almost completely out of the equation if what I said above is true and all that is really being tested is the accuracy of the gun, not the shooter?

Once again, please excuse my ignorance. I am not trying to start anything negative here or dump on this thread.

I am simply curious and ignorant.

Thanks!

Exactly! That was my first impression as well it sure looks that way. More like launch control than marksmanship. While it is a milestone in Airgun power I just don’t get the execution as a milestone in marksmanship

Is the shooter even touching the gun???

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words.

I’ll answer the last question as well as I can.

There is often a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to Benchrest competition. Benchrest is about achieving ultimate accuracy of equipment and the shooters ability to read the wind and make as perfect as possible use of the equipment. Many people believe that the only reason an accurate rifle misses its mark is because it wasn’t held steady. This could be true if the target was large enough or the gun was shot in a completely windless environment. These rifles are capable of hitting a .030” dot nearly every time at 50y with no air movement, but once the wind is blowing it becomes very difficult and It’s the shooters job to “see” the air movement in his flags and compensate properly by holding off so the wind will blow the bullet into the center. As for equipment…It’s one thing to get a gun to shoot well for a time…but it’s an entirely different matter to get a gun to shoot well all the time. It’s far more difficult than most people think to make 25 good shots in the wind. Benchrest is not a test of anyone’s ability to hold still or pull the trigger properly….It’s about getting machine and man as close to perfection as possible and as often as possible.

Thanks again, 

Mike

Thanks for that explanation Mike. It makes sense to me, but took a little while to sink in. Benchrest is not for everyone. However, even though all I do is shoot pests in my backyard, I almost always use some sort of rest. They are all improvised, but the gun is rested. I simply can't shoot off-hand like I could when I was younger and I REALLY like to be accurate to make good clean kills.

Accuracy/precision is everything!

I am interested in benchrest shooting, but I simply don't have the funds to really get into it properly. So... pesting in my backyard it is. (smile)

Thanks again for the explanation and CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!

Thanks again.

BackStop….I was in the same situation 8 years ago and began scheming about how to build my own gun and equipment. It used to be that Rimfire and centerfire BR was all guys with homemade guns and a lot of passion for accuracy. Over time, the guys that built successful rifles began to offer them for sale.

For me, the challenge of building a good BR gun is more alluring than the shooting. It’s really all I think about. Many of the commonly available gun platforms can be made to shoot well. If that sort of thing interests you, then there is a lot that can be done. It’s best to not worry about what you don’t know and simply get busy doing something. We learn from our mistakes and as long as you view things in the right way…your mistakes will add up to progress. There is no education needed to make rifles accurate. You will learn as you go and the most important part is to get going. 😀

Mike 

Heavens to Mergatroid ... we did it ... I said ... WE DID IT ... exit stage left

IMG_6315.1632859007.jpg

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!