• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A Great Way to Get Conflicting Advice…

…just create post asking, ”what’s the best (enter an airgun related product here)?” Why will it yield potentially conflicting responses? Because it’s a pretty subjective question. And because people experience the same events and interactions with products differently and often under different circumstances. 

Maybe asking, “what’s your favorite (enter an airgun related product here?)” will garner a different sort of response. Or perhaps asking something more specific like, “which type of bipod has worked well for AGN benchrest shooters who own a .22 Redwolf?”

Just a thought after reading countless posts where seemingly newer members are asking similar questions and getting a bunch of miscellaneous answers which frequently turn out to be the same answers that become a somewhat standard response for some of us. I typically advocate for members to search the threads for answers before posting and posing questions, but I also realize that the search feature isn’t as efficient as say Google or Bing. Hopefully something I said or suggestions from other members help newer members get better answers to their questions. 

i think the general 'group' of information will point somebody new in a positive direction even if you think your super product is better than their super product .. theres just many aspects of skinning the proverbial cat lol .. lots of choices that you really cant make for others but you can give your opinion based on experience .. maybe your the guru maybe not .. we cant all be gurus lol ...

Unfortunately most posts of that sort also get the smarta$$ respones of - why don't you go search on Google, why should we pick a gun for you and other sundry insults.

But I agree that conflicting opinions are a good thing. If I ask what is the best gun for x, y and z that has features 1, 2 and 3, I'll take the input provided as one factor in the ultimate purchase decision.

Reactions: Farmplinker2
I usually shy away from telling others what model of something I think is best unless they have narrowed their choice down to a couple that I have experience with. On the occasion I just can't help responding to a wide open question from a newbie who has no idea where to start I am more inclined to describe characteristics or qualities to look for or stay away from rather than recommending Brand X.

Always find out their budget and what they intend to do with their air gun. If you have no experience with equipment in their price range, stay out of the conversation.

It also doesn't hurt to ask about family members before recommending mega-magnum Brand XXX. The inquirer may have kids or a wife who might want to try shooting in which case less may be more. I have PM'd a few people to go into those details and they were usually very appreciative.

If the inquirer is serious, find out if they are local and give them the opportunity to try your equipment. I recently came across a post where a new shooter who is also looking to upgrade his equipment inquired about meeting others to shoot with in his area. Turns out he lives 30 minutes from the gun range we hold monthly silhouette and field target matches at I invited him to a meet a greet. I'll be giving him the opportunity to shoot several of my air rifles on his next visit.

Reactions: Farmplinker2
In many, if not most cases, people "think" that there IS...just one "best" item or product out there in the world, that suits everyone.

In most all forums, pick the subject, people ask for the "best"...this or that. Yeah, I'm one that starts with, there is NO BEST that suits every one equally. That's why there are many items to choose from in most every thing that there is on the market.

What's the BEST oil for my car, what's the BEST tire for my truck/car, what's the BEST camera, what's the BEST vitamin, what's the BEST car, what's the BEST................

There IS NO best that suits everyone. People need to make up their own minds and stop putting "their" decisions off onto other people.

BUT...like another poster above, there is no harm in asking about a specific product. "I'm thinking about getting an xxxx gun. I'll be hunting field mice, is that a good choice. See the difference ? they have a direction, they have a target situation in mind. NOT just a general, open ended question of, what's.... It shows that they've done at least a little homework on their own, and they are not leaving the entire decision up to the masses.

Mike 

Ezana4CE,

Excellent point! Although some of those "What's the best...?" threads provide some very amusing opinions/comments/beliefs. LOL

When someone states that anything is the BEST, I like to ask them "Why do you think so?" or "Best compared to what?" or "For what REASONS do you think it is the BEST?"(to "weed out" erroneous, emotional, inexperienced, or unfounded opinions) Some are able to make a valid, well-founded explanation of the reasons for their opinions/beliefs, but I am usually underwhelmed by their responses to any of these questions.

I do kinda love it when a new shooter asks about a decent $200 Springer an two replies later someone is recommending a $1000+ PCP and a compressor! The question might better be phrased "what are some decent rifles/pistols/scopes in the $xxx price range?" We all started somewhere and hopefully got good advice along the way. I try not to comment on or recommend anything I have no experience with.

I'm getting tired of this thread not answering the ultimate question:

What is the best airgun?

(walking away very quickly, chuckling...)

Multi part Answer ...

One that allows hitting what shot at

What One can afford or simply satisfies your "Airgun" dabbling desires.

EACH is a VERY deep rabbit hole in it self. No debate required.

Reactions: swNCsw
I usually shy away from telling others what model of something I think is best unless they have narrowed their choice down to a couple that I have experience with. On the occasion I just can't help responding to a wide open question from a newbie who has no idea where to start I am more inclined to describe characteristics or qualities to look for or stay away from rather than recommending Brand X.

Always find out their budget and what they intend to do with their air gun. If you have no experience with equipment in their price range, stay out of the conversation.

It also doesn't hurt to ask about family members before recommending mega-magnum Brand XXX. The inquirer may have kids or a wife who might want to try shooting in which case less may be more. I have PM'd a few people to go into those details and they were usually very appreciative.

If the inquirer is serious, find out if they are local and give them the opportunity to try your equipment. I recently came across a post where a new shooter who is also looking to upgrade his equipment inquired about meeting others to shoot with in his area. Turns out he lives 30 minutes from the gun range we hold monthly silhouette and field target matches at I invited him to a meet a greet. I'll be giving him the opportunity to shoot several of my air rifles on his next visit.

Totally agree, if you're not knowledgeable in an area it's much better to just stay away. But if so, you can recommend asking a professional who knows people'll tell you thanks how the direction.

I'm as a professional marketer can tell you that it's one of the best strategies to allow customers to try a product. They feel the benefits of the product and are more likely to buy it. 

Considering asking about family, you should be really careful. So people really do not like to talk about it.