A first for me

Saw a decent iguana. Was going to collect it so my daughter and boyfriend could try it for the first time.

He was about 25 yards from me. I hadn't shot the gun in months so I sighted it in using a brown spot on a coconut. Ok...I'm all good.

First shot JUST low. Second perfectly placed! He twitched slightly, then went limp....right on the frond of the palm tree. There He has Sat for 3 days...

Every one I've hit has twitched significantly enough to fall out of the tree. This one just went limp after a quick twitch.....

No chance at another....

20230115_150900.jpg

20230115_150853.jpg

20230115_150848.jpg

Saw a decent iguana. Was going to collect it so my daughter and boyfriend could try it for the first time.

He was about 25 yards from me. I hadn't shot the gun in months so I sighted it in using a brown spot on a coconut. Ok...I'm all good.

First shot JUST low. Second perfectly placed! He twitched slightly, then went limp....right on the frond of the palm tree. There He has Sat for 3 days...

Every one I've hit has twitched significantly enough to fall out of the tree. This one just went limp after a quick twitch.....

No chance at another....

View attachment 323386

View attachment 323387

View attachment 323388
He ain't dead, he's just playing desd so you'll leave him alone. These invasive species are very well at adapting to their new environments. They've learned that people are shooting them in droves and now they are practicing their subterfuge and possum skills!

I once spent an hour shooting a branch trying to get a squirrel down. The solution to getting most* of it wasn't ppretty.

Lol. I did that on e with my RC plane. Shot the plane, but also finally shot the branch to get it down..

I posted a thread here about that. I think I titled it something like "I shot a plane"

Last edited:
He ain't dead, he's just playing desd so you'll leave him alone. These invasive species are very well at adapting to their new environments. They've learned that people are shooting them in droves and now they are practicing their subterfuge and possum skills!
Lol. Well he's doing a great job! Been there now for 3 days and I can smell him from the ground!!

• Wow
Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
Im over on the West Coast in Tampa so we don't see may Iguana here, when I've been down in South Florida I've seen some monster Iguana, those things chase you away if your to close! Never eaten one but would love to hunt them.
They are fun to hunt. Once you start noticing them, you see them everywhere. Their camouflage is pretty darn good. They are also tough buggers to take down if your shot placement is less than ideal.

Reactions: ezmuzic
They are fun to hunt. Once you start noticing them, you see them everywhere. Their camouflage is pretty darn good. They are also tough buggers to take down if your shot placement is less than ideal.
I have a buddy who's sister lives in south Beach. We plan on going down there to iguana hunt some time. He said they're everywhere and get HUGE!

How do they taste? Like chicken? Lol

I have a buddy who's sister lives in south Beach. We plan on going down there to iguana hunt some time. He said they're everywhere and get HUGE!

How do they taste? Like chicken? Lol
Definitely take him up on that opportunity.

They do, more or less, taste like chicken
It's the consistency I'm having a difficult time perfecting. They're usually fairly tough/fibrous for my liking, and I have yet to find a great way to soften up the meat. So far the best I've prepared to date is 24 hours in Coca-Cola or beer followed by 24 hours in home made buttermilk. Then parbroiled followed by a home made rub. Then I cover them in BBQ sauce and barbecue them...

Last edited:
Reactions: jdanvers

It's the consistency I'm having a difficult time perfecting. They're usually fairly tough/fibrous for my liking, and I have yet to find a great way to soften up the meat. So far the best I've prepared to date is 24 hours in Coca-Cola or beer followed by 24 hours in home made buttermilk. Then parbroiled followed by a home made rub. Then I cover them in BBQ sauce and barbecue them...
Sounds like you need to slow smoke these critters.

Cooking tips from my wife...
Cook low and slow.
Before cooking marinate them(for 2hrs-2days) in a mix of 12oz of your favorite beer, Worcestershire sauce, spices (garlic, cumen, ancho, chipolte, salt, pepper(your choice really but she says don't skimp)) and brown mustard.
Cook them in the marinade, somewhere around 325º-340ºF, and check every 45min until the meat falls off the bone.

Just mix the beer and BBQ sauce and drink it. Tastes better and after a 'few' sips you'll be happy.

Reactions: Glenroiland