A few more thoughts on the Brocock Atomic XR Pistol

Its a great concept at a too high price point. I wouldn't use it as a pistol, so I see no value in the power adjuster. As a mini carbine it's awesome... But again way too high in price. I already own two Brococks, really like this one, but will wait until they price it sanely. Or, buy something else. Where it shines in my opinion is as a mini carbine, as a pistol? No so much.

Its a great concept at a too high price point. I wouldn't use it as a pistol, so I see no value in the power adjuster. As a mini carbine it's awesome... But again way too high in price. I already own two Brococks, really like this one, but will wait until they price it sanely. Or, buy something else. Where it shines in my opinion is as a mini carbine, as a pistol? No so much.

Completely agree on the pistol part, utterly useless and stupid as a pistol with the mag really in the way of having even a red dot let along an open sight! It is a very cool little carbine though, a bit high in price compared to the rest of the compact carbines. then for that kind of money I might as well get a Leshiy 2 and I’m very happy with my dreamtac compact at 1200 dollars. Then there are other new entries in the compact carbine market so it is very competitive space now which is awesome for us as consumer! 

and then the lack of picatinny rails in year 2021 is rather weak sauce. 

I sure love my wood-stock .22 Brocock Bantam HiLite semi-bullpup, and that Atomic XR does everything but cook biscuits! However the 'black-gun' look and features offend my overdeveloped sense of old-school aesthetics; mind you, not as much as some other PCP pistols of similar ilk. But given the functionality and anticipated performance, I would not consider it overpriced.

I said the same about my Ataman AP16 in feedback posted on PA's site, in response to some that think it overpriced. The AP not only doesn't offend my old-school aesthetic sensibilities, it sets them a-tinglin'! Even has wood grips, and not a sliver of plastic to be found anywhere on the gun!

The Brocock is apparently a bit more powerful than the Ataman and gets more shots per charge; but my AP16 sets a pretty high bar at 2/3 the price. The accuracy results below were achieved shooting the pistol off sandbags, the AP scoped with a 4-12X rifle scope.

.22 Ataman AP16 side-lever PCP repeater

15.9 grain Air Arms, 7 shots- Low= 664, Hi= 667, ES= 3, SD= 1.4, Average= 664 FPS/15.6 FP

18.1 grain JSB, 250 BAR fill, 23 shot powerband- Low= 626, High= 631, ES= 5, SD= 1.5, Average= 628 FPS/15.9 FP

5/3/2021- Three consecutive 5-shot groups at 50 yards with 18.1 gr. JSBs averaged 1.12” c-t-c.

5/18/21- Three consecutive 5-shot groups at 50 yards with 15.9 gr. JSBs averaged .81” c-t-c.

AP16 sub inch at 50.1621746766.jpg

Considering all the features, quality and performance of the Atomic XR, probably a good thing it offends my aesthetics... and doesn't cook biscuits! Because I don't believe it's over-priced. Was I of a more 'modern' aesthetic bent, I'd have to have one.

Completely agree on the pistol part, utterly useless and stupid as a pistol with the mag really in the way of having even a red dot let along an open sight! It is a very cool little carbine though, a bit high in price compared to the rest of the compact carbines. then for that kind of money I might as well get a Leshiy 2 and I’m very happy with my dreamtac compact at 1200 dollars. Then there are other new entries in the compact carbine market so it is very competitive space now which is awesome for us as consumer! 

I had hit some airgun fatigue for a bit, but saw this come out and at first really intrigued me. I think the market could use more high end pcp pistol's, and was really hoping for some good things. But after watching the video's, I really don't know how one can label this as a pistol...Maybe a stormtrooper pistol lol. In this price point, you're competing in premium gun territory, and a little bit more or little bit less can get you some nice guns. Value-wise, I don't see how this beats a prod. Aesthetic-wise, it doesn't even compete with the ap16, and for around the same price as an ataman you can get the hw44. So mostly this is trying to compete in carbine territory, and it's not innovative enough to keep up with fx or edgun's line of bullpups. 

I was hoping for some good things, but this was kind of a letdown. I'd like to see more serious pistol configurations as there's alot of pistol shooters out there interested in the airgun world. A practical pistol that can hunt small game ethically and be used as target practice would draw alot of shooters in. 

More like a stupid comment (underlined/bold above)

I don't see this as any more "stupid" (as you say) as many of the other pistols on the market. Removing the rail under the air cylinder would go a long way in making the gun...look...better. Though it does need one on the top for the addition of a sighting instrument..! Overall, as compared to many on the market today, it looks just fine.

And for those that want to make a pistol into a rifle...well...I'll take the pistol as a...pistol.

Mike

Whether this gun will be useful/capable is yet to be determined as there really aren't any out in the wild yet.

But we all have to acknowledge that the days of 'reasonably priced' (or at least priced as we have grown used to) imported airguns which is well made, and has a usable warranty and in-country support by the manufacturer are gone for the moment, and perhaps for a long time to come.

With the U.S. Government spending money like a drunken sailor, and just printing more when it runs out, U.S. currency values are plummeting worldwide. Therefore anything imported is costing more.

By the end of this year folks may well be saying 'I sure wish I had bought one of those Atomic XRs when AOA was only charging $1,500 for them.'

Crazy money for somewhat of a bland looking heavy pistol. The Ataman is a much much nicer looking pistol for less money, even the HW44 is IMO.

I think Brocock needs to step up their game for this kind of money. Looks like a Hatsan product to me.

Advertising shot count at 250fps, like honestly who's going to shoot at those speeds? My PP 700 has a bigger cylinder from the looks of it. 1/6th the price and much nicer looking.

Some, myself included, might find the Brocock's mass hard to still consider a pistol. But even with a 2-7X pistol scope it's no stretch for me to not only still consider the (long-barrel) lightweight AP16 a pistol, but use it as such. Clean, uncluttered lines help.

AP w 2-7X.1621801002.jpg

However, Ataman does offer a carbine conversion kit to warm the hearts of the most 'tactical'ly-minded.

AP carbine.1621801242.jpg

UGHHHHH!!! 👎

Some, myself included, might find the Brocock's mass hard to still consider a pistol. But even with a 2-7X pistol scope it's no stretch for me to not only still consider the (long-barrel) lightweight AP16 a pistol, but use it as such. Clean, uncluttered lines help.

AP w 2-7X.1621801002.jpg

However, Ataman does offer a carbine conversion kit to warm the hearts of the most 'tactical'ly-minded.

AP carbine.1621801242.jpg

UGHHHHH!!! 
1f44e.svg

Worst carbine conversion ever !!

More like a stupid comment (underlined/bold above)

I don't see this as any more "stupid" (as you say) as many of the other pistols on the market. Removing the rail under the air cylinder would go a long way in making the gun...look...better. Though it does need one on the top for the addition of a sighting instrument..! Overall, as compared to many on the market today, it looks just fine.

And for those that want to make a pistol into a rifle...well...I'll take the pistol as a...pistol.

Mike

Let's be more specific shall we?

weight: 4lbs, how many people can hold that one handed for more than couple of shots?

Pistol sights: none! Can't put even a red dot on with going to single loading pellets, really? Sure, you can add an adapter but how many has a pistol with sight/dot 2 inches above the barrel?

Pistol form milti-shot: NOPE! the mag is IN YOUR FACE!

Pistol ergonomics: terrible! AR grip are NOT made to be used as pistol because they are made for.....well, an AR! And don't forget the COCKING LEVER IS ON THE WRONG SIDE!!! unless if you are left handed.

Price: TOO HIGH! AP16 is a night and day better pistol for 500 less and multishot as a pistol, $500 more you can get the Styr LP50 match winning semi auto target pistol which is in a completely different league. My $300 dollar 1701P has match grade LW barrel too. 

Value as a pistol=GARBAGE! At pistol distance it certainly wont out shoot my PP700($250) or 1701P($300) from how heavy it is alone. And I can buy 6 PP700 pistols which single loads just like the $1500 XR "pistol", let's see who would love to buy a $1,500 single load, 4lb, AR rifle grip, non-target/match winning pistol with cocking lever on the wrong side? Add insult to injury I have cranked up my PP700 to shoot at about the same speed/power as the XR "pistol". Only "Pistol" that's somewhat similar is the AEA pistol but that's 1000 bucks cheaper, semi auto, can use a red dot sight with mag and still lighter, best of all it can actually be shot as a pistol and comes in .25.

Sorry brocock, this "pistol" is the worst product I've seem from them and a big fail! Better go back to the drawing board and/or change your marketing and sell it as a compact carbine only. I certainly don't know of any pistol at any price range even come close to how ill conceived this thing is as a pistol. Even with all that, it still doesn't deserve to be called stupid in pistol form? 

Your own words: "And for those that want to make a pistol into a rifle...well...I'll take the pistol as a...pistol." Guess what, same is 100% true the other way around and why this "pistol" is stupid.