A few groups of Altaros 60gr Queens

I recently got a AGT Vulcan 3 25 caliber from Derrick at Tenacious Airguns. He did his magic with the tuning. If you have any questions on what he did you'd have to call him because I asked him to do his best with it. All I know is I requested him to get close to 100 fpe with 49.5's but I left to his discretion as to where the gun shot best which turned out to be 92 fpe and 916fps ave.

As of yesterday I have a little over 100 slugs through the V3 which have been mostly Altaros 49.5gr. Those shoot the same as the 60gr Queens as far as I can tell with the little shooting I've done.

This one group on the cardboard is 7 shots at 57 yards. The shot on the right I wasn't ready for when it went off because I was still getting used to the 3-4oz trigger.

The other two 5 shot groups on the steel were at 101 yards.

I haven't chrono'd the 60gr Queens yet.

Queens = .245 G1 BC Wow . The gun combo should do well for XFT matches, especially when windy.

Just a quick preliminary test...All the groups were shot off a Harris bipod down prone off a Triad squeeze bag. Small vertical on the one group and considering the poor choice I made(uncomfortable) where I shot from I'm pretty happy with the results.

20230720_075509.jpg

20230720_075546.jpg

20230720_075642.jpg

20230630_080358 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a great option or winter XFT matches!

I hope so.

For the 60 grainers at 100Y when I looked at a full value 10 mph wind on my SHOOTER app it called for .5 mil of windage needed but for my 22rf it was .9 mil. That's just Crazy.

In contrast a 22 cal 25.4gr MRD needs 2.2 mils of windage.

Reactions: Dairyboy and qball
I hope so.

For the 60 grainers at 100Y when I looked at a full value 10 mph wind on my SHOOTER app it called for .5 mil of windage needed but for my 22rf it was .9 mil. That's just Crazy.

In contrast a 22 cal 25.4gr MRD needs 2.2 mils of windage.

That's wild!

I've said it before, the slugs SHOULD have been wiping the floor with the pellets all this time. Perhaps with these more recent high BC slugs, and the collective efforts to find slug success, well, maybe we'll start to see the slugs pull ahead more than they thus far have been able to do.

Gotta say, your 92fpe has me feeling a bit insecure with my dreams of XFT slug success with the .20/18.9NSA I've been playing with lately (at only 32fpe).

That's wild!

I've said it before, the slugs SHOULD have been wiping the floor with the pellets all this time. Perhaps with these more recent high BC slugs, and the collective efforts to find slug success, well, maybe we'll start to see the slugs pull ahead more than they thus far have been able to do.

Gotta say, your 92fpe has me feeling a bit insecure with my dreams of XFT slug success with the .20/18.9NSA I've been playing with lately (at only 32fpe).

I saw your groups and those NSA's shoot well! So all that's left is getting the wind right as long as you don't have POI shifts.

My problem has always been POI shifts, regardless of gun, that's even with my rimfire, which is extremely aggravating. Man I hope this one holds its zero.

I found out that I had thinned the scope mount down too much on SURELY which partially caused the POI shifts with it. Also part of the POI shifts might have been the wonky bedding previous to Bobby fixing that problem. All reasons why I shouldn't play gunsmith, LOL!
That's why I did better the last XFT match I shot with it compared to times past. Live and learn.... but I still want to shoot SURELY with 32.3gr 22 cal Altaros slugs at XFT.

You shot Derricks AGT slug gun well so that gives me additional hope.

Last edited:
Be careful if you are switching back and forth with Altaros and other slugs. The Altaros is affected by wind way less than the other slugs. I was stacking the Altaros and this last time they were not stacking them like they did before. So I decided to try some other brands I had. 😂 apparently the wind was worst than I thought because there wasn't anything that could be considered a group with the other slugs!

Allen

Reactions: Dairyboy and qball
Be careful if you are switching back and forth with Altaros and other slugs. The Altaros is affected by wind way less than the other slugs. I was stacking the Altaros and this last time they were not stacking them like they did before. So I decided to try some other brands I had. 😂 apparently the wind was worst than I thought because there wasn't anything that could be considered a group with the other slugs!

Allen
Ha, no plans to change to other brands right now.

I confess I shot at some of my steel out to 300Y with the 49.5's and the 60 grainers but it was windy. Even so I hit them a fair amount of the time once I figured out where to aim. The grass and other plants have grown up around the steel making it very hard to see where my misses are going. Those targets are way up a cinder hill and it's over 100 degrees by the time I get out there in the afternoon so I'm very opposed to making the hike right now.

If I were shooting my Uragan King 25 cal with the 29gr NSA's trying the same thing in the same wind it would have been a waist of time. Not because the gun doesn't shoot them well but because of the low .075 BC.

Last edited:
Good shooting Steve. I’d say the 60 grain Queens are shooting about 830 fps from your V3. Looking forward to seeing how it does at XFT.
So you feel the juice is worth the squeeze going from 49.5 to 60 grain Altaros, or 0.21 to 0.245 G1 BC?

Thanks Mike.

I chrono'ed the Queens today, only 3 shots, 862,862,863. This was across my Oehler 35P.

After a while I'll start to notice if one of the weights shows a tad more precision which will affect my choice.

Who knows at this point but it's a substantial increase in BC and at longer distances the 60gr at 862 fps might be the better choice because the Queens show .2 mils less wind drift by 200Y and pulling ahead slightly more from there.

The two slugs definitely don't exhibit the same zero at 50Y so I'd eventually like to choose one and stick with it.

Long range report.

Yesterday when I went to shoot at my friends shooting range the wind was low so I immediately set up my V3 to shoot at this 421Y Buffalo with the Queens. By the time we got in the side by side and went to it, repainted it, came back, etc, the wind had kicked up a lot, OF COURSE IT WOULD, RIGHT??!! Then I had to figure out where the heck I was missing with 26.8 Mils elelvation dialed on and finally saw the dust kick up out of the grass way left. It also looked low so I dialed a few more clicks up and held 3 Mils to the right for the rest of the shots. We could hear the faint clanks as the 60 grainers hit the steel but we couldn't see where exactly I was hitting which as you can see were low.

I drove back down to see what was up. Here's the pics I took. The white circle is around a foot in size. I was pretty happy with these results! I think it was 12 for 12 because although we didn't hear one of the shots make a clank it appears that upon further examination I nicked the end of the ole peepee, lol. I meant to do that JK :LOL:

A while back my friends and I shot our iron sighted lever action 357's and 30-30's at this same Buff with much less precision. Well I know at least for my 357 lever rifle it only does 4 MOA at best at 100Y but its more so my/our older eyes seeing the sights correctly that come standard on these guns which were the main reasons we didn't do better at the Buff but its at least some kind of a comparison although very apples to oranges.
20230726_141137.jpg
20230726_141102.jpg

I haven't tried the 60 Queen in my Panthera because Ondrej said that the 6.35 were slightly too lose in the Superior Heavy (slug) liner, and they made some 6.36 that shot much better, but I don't have any of those...
When I tried the larger dia 60gr in the 700 superior heavy 1:18, I had a hard time pushing them to 900 fps. (Actually i think i could only go 840) with my hopped up ernest gun with the titanium hammer. This same setup was able to push the standard 60 gr Queens over 1000 fps. So maybe a little too tight. So I put the 800mm barrel in and fire them again. I think they did better than the smaller 60 gr in the 800 mm barrel. I was able to push a little past 900 and backed it off to under but ran out of both to do a side by side. I have a 700mm superior heavy in 1:16 that are scheduled to be here today. Nope, so unfortunately I won't be taking that to the range Monday. . Hopefully I'll get some more Queens and they will fire better with the 1:16 in 2 weeks.

Allen

Reactions: qball
These slugs are game changers! Can’t wait to see how you guys do with it, there is no doubt the Queen slugs is the way to go even with a litttle lower speed. BC increase of 20% or wind drift reduction of 20% is definitely worth squeezing.
Yes…. And No. There’s more to it than just wind resistance. Here’s why I’m sticking with the 49.5 grain Altaros ATP Smooth

- Efficiency. If I bump up my power to shoot the Queens at a reasonable speed, my Panthera 600mm won’t get enough shots for a long NRL22 stage. I get 20 to 22 shots now at 86 fpe. I I bump it up to shoot Queens at 860 or 98 fpe I’ll be lucky to get 12 or 13 shots per fill.
- Accuracy. The gun is much easier to shoot at 86 than 98 fpe. Those little 1/4 inch KYLs at 50 yards are hard enough to hit without a jumpier gun.
- History. I’ve already done really well shooting long range at the Oregon event the end of April 2023. Hard to get much better than 25/25 and that was in windy conditions.
Just my two cents, but I did think about the Queens before deciding for me, the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze.

Reactions: qball
Yes…. And No. There’s more to it than just wind resistance. Here’s why I’m sticking with the 49.5 grain Altaros ATP Smooth

- Efficiency. If I bump up my power to shoot the Queens at a reasonable speed, my Panthera 600mm won’t get enough shots for a long NRL22 stage. I get 20 to 22 shots now at 86 fpe. I I bump it up to shoot Queens at 860 or 98 fpe I’ll be lucky to get 12 or 13 shots per fill.
- Accuracy. The gun is much easier to shoot at 86 than 98 fpe. Those little 1/4 inch KYLs at 50 yards are hard enough to hit without a jumpier gun.
- History. I’ve already done really well shooting long range at the Oregon event the end of April 2023. Hard to get much better than 25/25 and that was in windy conditions.
Just my two cents, but I did think about the Queens before deciding for me, the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze.

Yes, it all depends on the shooting style and distances. For out to 100 yards/meters I’m not sure even smooth is worth the squeeze since even the lowly 34.9 grain NSA @ 8 cents a pop is plenty good. with a little wind hold I can easily hit 1 inch target even in windy conditions.

Obviously the queens are for long range bombing especially when the wind kicks up. I ordered 700mm barrel for the queens and dont plan on shooting it closer than 200 yards. Under 200 yard in reasonable wind my impact gets to play with 35 grain .22 NSAs with BC of 0.12. Hard to justify shooting 20 cents slugs under 100 or even 150 yards when NSAs are phenomenal!

Last edited:
Reactions: Healthservices
I think I'm currently out of the 60 gr or very low supply but have plenty of the 22 kings in 40 gr. So if I can go to the range I will fire those. I will keep the 49 gr atp smooth and the remainder of the 60 gr if I still have any for the 1:16 700mm 25 when it comes in. Maybe order some more 60 gr Queens for the next time. Let's see how much leftover I have for my allowance tomorrow. 🙏

Allen

I ordered more Queens so when they arrive I'll measure to see if 6.35 or 6.36. Hopefully they'll shoot well in my gun no matter the size.

Really windy yesterday/probably 12-17 mph and not wanting to shoot the rest of the Queens I shot the 49.5's instead on steel from 50Y to 391Y.
On the KYL rack at 50Y I went 7/7 but missed the 8th 1/4" spinner. I tried a few more times to hit it but didn't connect.
At 100Y I hit the 1" spinner on the first attempt with a .3 mil holdoff then after airing up again(went off reg) I sent two through the 1" hole on the bell target.
Amazing that it wasn't hard hitting most of the rest of my steel once I figured out the windage needed and also hit the small rock a few times at 391Y. I'm having a LOT OF FUN WITH THIS GUN AND SLUGS!:D

I've shot my Anschutz 22rf enough times on this steel that I can definitely see the advantage in wind drift these slugs give over 22rf ammo. Also the vertical seems better. Well its much better vertical than using a not so good lot# of the medium quality ammo. Last week it was hard for my friend to hit the 200Y donkey which is 4.5" across the back with his $6 a box 22rf ammo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Healthservices