A day of firsts with the Air Arms S510 .22 cal

Today was the first day I have been able to really take some time shooting the new S510. Today was the first time I filled my 74 CuFt tank with the YH. It was also the first day that I shot the S510 over the chronograph. I am pretty pleased with the results from all of the above. First off the YH filled the tank from about 2800 psi to right at 4500 psi three times with no issue this afternoon. The tank seems to fill the S510 from approximately 125-150 bar to 250 bar 4-5 times. I lost count of that actually. But it does what I need it to do. Very pleased with it. 

The chronograph results were I think very good. I shot 6 strings of ten shots each using the Air Arms Diabolo Field Heavy 18 gn. 

String #1 Hi - 927, Low - 917, Av - 921, ES - 10, SD - 3

String #2 Hi - 926, Low - 914, Av - 920, ES - 12, SD - 3

String #3 Hi - 923, Low - 916, Av - 919, ES - 7, SD - 2

String #4 Hi - 928, Low - 920, Av - 923, ES - 8, SD - 2

String #5 Hi - 925, Low - 919, Av - 922, ES - 6, SD - 2

String #6 Hi - 918, Low - 885, Av - 902, ES - 33, SD - 10

I'm pretty happy with these results. It's obvious that I get right at 50 really good shots at an average of around 34 Ft Lbs before it starts to drop off. Now, the most important part is the accuracy. Today was a beautiful sunny day with a temperature of around 50 degrees. Unfortunately, it was a rather windy day. There seemed to be a constant wind blowing all afternoon. I am certain that the accuracy is much better than todays results. But, it is, what it is. I don't shoot in a controlled environment. My range is outside.....real world conditions, and today was the day for me to run it through some paces regardless of conditions. Below are some pics from the day.......

I know the filtration should be vertical, not horizontal. But I haven't sorted all that out yet.

3.1644195360.jpg

YH filled the tank just fine.

5.1644195444.jpg

6.1644195524.jpg

1.1644195564.jpg

2.1644195592.jpg

4.1644195618.jpg

Not bad grouping at 50 yards taking in a count the wind today. The action on this S510 is really smooth and I really like the magazines that it uses. Very good design. 

Thanks for looking.........TR

Nice performance ......!!!!! I am curious though, is that barrel really long or just the way the picture looks ?? As a spring gun guy, I have often thought of getting an AA pcp, wish my TX had a shorter barrel, so my curiosity on your 510 is the long barrel....

AirShot,

The barrel is 19.75" long. Not a short barrel, but the picture really makes it look longer than it really is. I am really a springer guy as well. I love them, but I am delving more into pcps than I ever have in the past. The Air Arms pcps are really top shelf. They are very well built , very accurate, and really beautiful as well. But they kinda get overlooked somewhat I think because they are very traditionally styled and the trend today is "black guns"......kinda like the AR trend in the firearms world.

Interesting results. My 510 produced only 38 full power shots at about 880-890 fps using the 18 grain JSBs. I also noticed that accuracy beyond 50 yards was much better if I turned power down one notch, and I got 7 more shots on a fill. I refill at 150 bar. Temps on the day I "tested" were in the mid 30's so I am curious if my shot count and accuracy will improve in warmer temps.

Hey TiredRooster, is your s510 regulated? very nice grouping. i'd be tickled pink if mine would group and string like that AA S510. Congrats

Yes, 55squirrel. My S510 is regulated. This was the first time to shoot over the chrono and it produced some exceptional shot string consistency. In my opinion anyway. Im super happy with it and it's shooting like this right outa the box. Only a good barrel cleaning before. I still want to do some more chronograph testing and what not to find the sweet spots. Its really a great rifle and I don't regret spending the money on it at all. Wasn't cheap! But, top shelf quality all the way........looks, build and performance. 

Interesting results. My 510 produced only 38 full power shots at about 880-890 fps using the 18 grain JSBs. I also noticed that accuracy beyond 50 yards was much better if I turned power down one notch, and I got 7 more shots on a fill. I refill at 150 bar. Temps on the day I "tested" were in the mid 30's so I am curious if my shot count and accuracy will improve in warmer temps.

Hey CLWhite67. I had no idea how this S510 would perform. I was kinda nervous about it due to the fact it was (to me) an expensive purchase. But after I shot my strings and groups, I went inside and started reviewing the data from the chronograph. As I was writing it down in my note book, I realized how well it performed and was quite happy. I don't really know how the temperature differential would effect the accuracy and shot count on a pcp? I am curious and am going to chronograph it using the lower power settings next time out. I also refill at around 150 bar. It's not too far below 150 bar that it really starts dropping off. But the shot count I appear to be getting is pretty darn good I think. I kinda wasn't expecting that much......but hey! I'm happy with it!!

hello All
i can not get mine to group over 30 yards. i am shooting jsb exact jumbo heavy 18.13 gr. at 20 yards the rifle is dead on however i can not get this rifle to group at 40 yards or more. i do not know what i am doing wrong. please advise

I don't really know what to tell you. If it is shooting a ragged hole at 20 yards, it should do the same on out to 30-40 and 50 yards no problem. Now, if you are not getting really tight groups at 20-25 yards, your groups will simply spread out with greater distance. The greater the distance, the more poor shooting fundamentals will reveal themselves.

Now having said all that....try another pellet brand and or weight. My S510 loves the Air Arm pellets. It will shoot JSB's fine, but not nearly with the same consistency as with AA pellets. Try the Air Arms 18 and even the 16 grains and see what happens. Your 510 should kill it at 50 yards no issue. Let us know what happens and if you figure anything out.