• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A day at the range with a Slayer...

Does the Slayer prefer bullets sized to .356,.357,or .358. I already have 158gr moulds that drop at .358. I may have got myself a Christmas Slayer, just waiting for Santa to drop it off.
When you get it you should test it for what size slug that fits and what it likes for size also. I can run both sizes nearly as accurate, so the better option for me may be to size them at .3575 and see what happens. The bore diameter is somewhere closer to .358, as witnessed by marks on the larger slug's shank. But it has been worked and polished.

Save your money on the Lee molds for the Slayer. This NOE Mold shoots amazing

358-152-HP-CF4​

I have this mold as well and it produces real nice deer hunting slugs. I can't remember how they did at longer ranges in my Slayer because I use NSA's 142 grain swaged slugs almost exclusively, so the molded slug must not have been as tight of grouping.

I have this mold as well and it produces real nice deer hunting slugs. I can't remember how they did at longer ranges in my Slayer because I use NSA's 142 grain swaged slugs almost exclusively, so the molded slug must not have been as tight of grouping.
I size mine to .3575. My Slayer typically groups like this at 50 yards. Don't shoot much beyond that. The Accurate Mold is Hollowpointed and is identical to the NOE Mold listed above

20221228_093429.jpg

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
I size mine to .3575. My Slayer typically groups like this at 50 yards. Don't shoot much beyond that. The Accurate Mold is Hollowpointed and is identical to the NOE Mold listed above

View attachment 317647
That is really nice grouping put of those. When I tested those I sized them at the Lee 357 sizing die. I am going to polish out an additional 0.0005" on the die to re-size some .358 NSA's and see how that acts before molding any more.

Here's a link to the NOE mold that was originally designed for the 357. NOE currently has a good selection of these in stock, but they do tend to sell out because they are popular and work well.

Ordered this one last night, they were out of the 174 or I would have grabbed it also. Thanks for posting the mould number earlier.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
Has anyone tested accuracy difference in the same mold from with hollow point and without? I now have the the NOE mold mentioned above and definitely a bit of a learning curve with the NOE hollow point pins. I have done some research and think I can improve on my no go rate now that gets melted back down, but the hollow point pins add some time to the casting process.

Has anyone tested accuracy difference in the same mold from with hollow point and without? I now have the the NOE mold mentioned above and definitely a bit of a learning curve with the NOE hollow point pins. I have done some research and think I can improve on my no go rate now that gets melted back down, but the hollow point pins add some time to the casting process.
With a hot mold, and periodically when casting, try taking a piece of beeswax and touching it to each of the tips of those pins. It helps to prevent sticking. Only touch the pins with it though, and don't contaminate the mold with wax.

Reactions: jmeade1975
Does the slayer come with a cheek rest or do you just use the picatinny rail to rest your cheek?
This is how mine sits, with the picatinny rail covered in a hand-hold. It comes up and rests nicely on the cheek and centered on the scope like this for me, but any picatinny rail cover, higher or narrower, could be used to fit comfortably.

IMG_20230124_124759243~3.jpg