• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A Danes hunt for a larger caliber air rifle / permission to buy such a thing

Okay just got a mail RPLY from a club, the are not dismissive of me using air for power.
Now i just have to figure out which of the clubs the mail is from, and find out where their range are CUZ the guy mailing me said he will be there tomorrow from 09:00 to 13:00

So very cool, something not negative to look into,,,,, very exited.

@beerthief i know i have good fun shooting my .177 rifles too, though FAC, but at range, at least with no splatter target it get hard to see where the pellet land if it is on the cardboard backing, well at least if it is not fairly white backing, and i can only imagine moving out past 100 M and upwards of 200 M that will get harder to see, and i would hate to have to buy those HUGE splatter targets though at least for clicking in the scope it might be needed.

I will of course prefer to keep aiming at very small things, but at 200 M i realize i can forget my 2" splatter targets, and it would also be OK if i should get some 5" ones to make sure most of my shots are still on the target and not the backing cardboard.

Mind you this exercise is still primarily for me to acquire a larger than .177 rifle to shoot with,,,,, of course also the shorter distances i will probably shoot more often than airgun " ELR"
Fighting / working with wind, still interesting and a challenge, but i do prefer maximum control over where my shots land, but this being Denmark the land of the wind, well no wind days you can not rely on having very many of.
so something a bit heavier i think will be good for a longer flight, so i would prefer to buy a little larger caliber rifle VS buying one that bight shoot 16 and 20 gr slugs better than my Maverick which i just can not get to shoot those as well as the 13 gr ones.

If only my Maverick was good with heavier slugs, well then i would for sure have to try shooting it longer before going to the extreme and acquire a larger caliber rifle to do the same.

It is also a additional cost, maybe not so much getting a larger caliber rifle, but then i would have to get a rifle safe too to store it in at home, and those here have a starting price of about 500 USD
look up make your own splatter target . cardboard , two cans spray paint (black +orange or yellow . clear package tape . less cost for several targets 24x36 . or colored poster board instead of orange paint .

Makes me smile, 😊
A good time must always be the primary objective.

Well the late 80ties was my prime for that kind of stuff, by 1990 i had stopped drinking regularly and since then i have just been drinking alcohol on new years evening, and that even failed the past 3 years for me, so i am really behind on that now.

Okay then in summers i have been getting a glass or maybe two of single malt, when i have visited my friend, also as we both have a Texan living deep inside us we celebrate 4 of July too, so if the weather is good. all kind of good things go on mixing the Danish way of Hygge with a little US of A.

Bottom PIC is last new years evening i got alcohol, served by my M8 that in the background was on grill master duty.
Top pic might be a July 4 day or just a good summer day.

690b21dab27c71f8f7335bd8ee8bc939e3fec859.jpg

0c34c699a292bcda66247cc2e05e99bb010c4169.jpg

I second the hunter permit option.

For me it opened doors and locations.

The local guys laugh at me and my air rifles, toys they mumble under their breath. I'm no threat to the big boys.😉

Most important though, they leave me alone, show me good practice areas, old quarry, deserted water filtration site etc. I'm free, no permits, no range fees, freedom.

Good luck peashooter.
It's fun to go to the local range with an air gun, seen a few more of them too, I do want to do the 100 yard range just for giggles. I'd go more often but it costs and my permission lets me go as long as I want/can, well in excess of 250 yards for free and no loud pew-pews to annoy me,. It'll be intereesting.

Reactions: Spinach
It's fun to go to the local range with an air gun, seen a few more of them too, I do want to do the 100 yard range just for giggles. I'd go more often but it costs and my permission lets me go as long as I want/can, well in excess of 250 yards for free and no loud pew-pews to annoy me,. It'll be intereesting.
Yes, I also now avoid the loud pew pews, I like my shooting to be peaceful.
Occasionally I visit the practice area, just to see new toys and money go up in smoke.

Yes, I also now avoid the loud pew pews, I like my shooting to be peaceful.
Occasionally I visit the practice area, just to see new toys and money go up in smoke.
What I find fun is that airguns may be as accurate at 100 yards as some of the expensive pew-pews people use, yeah we can't do 500 yards easily but I'm not sure how many hunters shoot those ranges.

Reactions: Spinach
Anyway passing a 40 question written test ( need 36 correct ) and then a practical exam in weapon handling and discharge + range evaluation / safety, that is still a lot i feel to be able to procure a air rifle to shoot paper.
If one is sound minded it isn`t a whole lot. But for you who just want to shoot an airgun thats 1mm larger in caliber it would make no sence. There is no "magic" found in 5,5mm over the 4,5mm. Had your ambitions been more serious like hunting deer with an airgun or going abroad then it would be a different matter. Go find someone who has a 5,5mm airgun and shoot it. Pay for the pellets and thats it!. And economy apparently mean something to you since you keep mention it in many of your posts, so the suggestion here won`t squeeze the budget...even on disabillity pension.

I have a 5.5, but as its first gen ST barrel it can not shoot slugs, so i cant really compare it to my 4.5 mm endeavours.
I think 5.5 mm will tie me over good for what i do, i assume it could be a little better at my friends place and the range there, and i might reach a bit further elsewhere if / when i got a option to shoot that.
But i thin primarily my main place to shoot would still be my friends place, no matter how lucky i could get with a club or a private range.
If say i got my act together and took that hunting license.

I would love to shoot .30 cal. but the ammo cost would kill me, unless i somehow learned to moderate my shooting, i am not quite into the prices of the large stuff but a recon 400 .30 slugs cost more than 800 in .177.
Just looked 128 .30 Zan cost about the same as 400 .177 slugs, so no restrictions in shot count my ammo cost would go up 3 X.

During the height of summer i recon i at least shoot 1000 shots on every outing, and i shoot 2 days a week ( at least ) so even in .177 it is already expensive, at least during peak season.

Also if i had a .30 i think i would want to shoot a little longer than 200 M, and clubs with a 300 M range or longer are far in between i think.

I have a 5.5, but as its first gen ST barrel it can not shoot slugs, so i cant really compare it to my 4.5 mm endeavours.
I think 5.5 mm will tie me over good for what i do, i assume it could be a little better at my friends place and the range there, and i might reach a bit further elsewhere if / when i got a option to shoot that.
But i thin primarily my main place to shoot would still be my friends place, no matter how lucky i could get with a club or a private range.
If say i got my act together and took that hunting license.

I would love to shoot .30 cal. but the ammo cost would kill me, unless i somehow learned to moderate my shooting, i am not quite into the prices of the large stuff but a recon 400 .30 slugs cost more than 800 in .177.
Just looked 128 .30 Zan cost about the same as 400 .177 slugs, so no restrictions in shot count my ammo cost would go up 3 X.

During the height of summer i recon i at least shoot 1000 shots on every outing, and i shoot 2 days a week ( at least ) so even in .177 it is already expensive, at least during peak season.

Also if i had a .30 i think i would want to shoot a little longer than 200 M, and clubs with a 300 M range or longer are far in between i think.
Realistic reasoning never really works in our hobby.
Scratch that itch. Just don't get frustrated later. I'm on a pension also.

I have a .30, it stays in the toy room, ammo is expensive. Hate to go home after shooting one small tin.

.22, all day shooting and not feeling robbed or mugged. Plenty of options, ammo and power.

.177, keeps me busy, the brain ticking and the budget happy. Stimulation without a nagging from the missus. Always looking for the next step.

Don't get hung up on calibre, experiment with what you have. Sometimes it's therapeutic.

I was reading something on the interweb yesterday, this if i understand it correct, well to me it seem like i just have to apply for a permit for a larger caliber rifle.
It could be i misunderstand it and this was just to cover people that got in a pinch when the new " .177 " law was made in 2013

I will have to contact the police one of these days and ask if its really that simple.

Reactions: Treefrog