• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A Dab Will Do Ya

Brill cream commercial, No , an idea for those ruff barrels, dab of bees wax and dab of polish compound on pellet sponge.
20230211_130101.jpg
20230211_130101.jpg

an idea for those ruff barrels...

Kinda afraid to take too much off, whats your method.
In my experience, any bore that can be classified as rough needs something much, much coarser than Bore Bright. Even the standard J-B compound is far too fine to produce any appreciable smoothing if applied to pellets for fire lapping. Scrubbing with felts on a ball-bearing rod will be far more effective. Or better still, on a cast lap. These methods also allow one to monitor the progress and recognize potential trouble areas that need more attention.

Kinda afraid to take too much off, whats your method.
The bore polishing equipment I use is a ball bearing type of cleaning rod to rotate easily with the rifling, the 2" long cloth cleaning mops in the same bore diameter, silicone oil or the like, and 2" by 3" long strips of the quality 3M cloth fiber abrasive in the assorted grits from 600-6000 grit.

The process I do is to first spread oil evenly all over mop and on the pieces of abrasive cloth, then wrap the cloth tightly around the mop. Always starting at the breech end, I manipulate and force the tight fitting mop into the barrel, doing long full strokes to the muzzle. After a stroke or two I will exit the breech a little and rotate the mop 60° or so, doing this six times to ensure even pressure and strokes in the bore. I also flip the same cloth after these six rotations to use the clean wrapped end. Reapeating this process, going to a finer and finer grit cloth, making more and more passes to polish the bore as I go.

Several things to keep in mind, in no particular order... *Start with a clean lead-free bore. *"Feel out" the bore by pushing a slug or pellet through by hand to get an idea of the bore condition, the location of rough spots, and or the length of choke. *The first goal should be to polish the bore rather than remove a bunch of metal you can't get back. *Take far less passes with the rougher grit cloth than the finer grits. (The goal is usually to knock down the rough spots in the bore and polish it, not to make it oversized.). *Ensure that you are doing an even amount of cutting with the abrasive the whole length of the bore. (Unless the bore dictates something else. For example, if you are making or removing a choke.) *Be sure not to exit the muzzle crown too much as it can bell shape very end and ruin the accuracy that you are trying to get. *Don't stop too far back from the crown end as it will create a choke (unless making a choke is your goal). *Depending upon the conditions of the bore and what I am trying to accomplish dictates the grit level I start cutting with. (The 600 grit is fairly aggressive at removing metal and so I don't use that much at all.) *Be one with the bore, Grasshopper.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
In my experience, any bore that can be classified as rough needs something much, much coarser than Bore Bright. Even the standard J-B compound is far too fine to produce any appreciable smoothing if applied to pellets for fire lapping. Scrubbing with felts on a ball-bearing rod will be far more effective. Or better still, on a cast lap. These methods also allow one to monitor the progress and recognize potential trouble areas that need more attention.
Thank you for this info

The bore polishing equipment I use is a ball bearing type of cleaning rod to rotate easily with the rifling, the 2" long cloth cleaning mops in the same bore diameter, silicone oil or the like, and 2" by 3" long strips of the quality 3M cloth fiber abrasive in the assorted grits from 600-6000 grit.

The process I do is to first spread oil evenly all over mop and on the pieces of abrasive cloth, then wrap the cloth tightly around the mop. Always starting at the breech end, I manipulate and force the tight fitting mop into the barrel, doing long full strokes to the muzzle. After a stroke or two I will exit the breech a little and rotate the mop 60° or so, doing this six times to ensure even pressure and strokes in the bore. I also flip the same cloth after these six rotations to use the clean wrapped end. Reapeating this process, going to a finer and finer grit cloth, making more and more passes to polish the bore as I go.

Several things to keep in mind, in no particular order... *Start with a clean lead-free bore. *"Feel out" the bore by pushing a slug or pellet through by hand to get an idea of the bore condition, the location of rough spots, and or the length of choke. *The first goal should be to polish the bore rather than remove a bunch of metal you can't get back. *Take far less passes with the rougher grit cloth than the finer grits. (The goal is usually to knock down the rough spots in the bore and polish it, not to make it oversized.). *Ensure that you are doing an even amount of cutting with the abrasive the whole length of the bore. (Unless the bore dictates something else. For example, if you are making or removing a choke.) *Be sure not to exit the muzzle crown too much as it can bell shape very end and ruin the accuracy that you are trying to get. *Don't stop too far back from the crown end as it will create a choke (unless making a choke is your goal). *Depending upon the conditions of the bore and what I am trying to accomplish dictates the grit level I start cutting with. (The 600 grit is fairly aggressive at removing metal and so I don't use that much at all.) *Be one with the bore, Grasshopper.
Thank you for taking the time, I'm sure this will educate others also.

I have no idea what a pellet sponge is. Can you post a link or tell me where to get one?
I think he means the Felt Cleaning Pellets. You can find them on Pyramid Air site. Basically it's a Felt .25 or .22 call felt pellet that you can shoot through the gun. I have them and if you attempt to push them through by hand they will fall out at the air stripper and not come out the end of the barrel.

Smitty

Reactions: hdryden
I think he means the Felt Cleaning Pellets. You can find them on Pyramid Air site. Basically it's a Felt .25 or .22 call felt pellet that you can shoot through the gun. I have them and if you attempt to push them through by hand they will fall out at the air stripper and not come out the end of the barrel.

Smitty
Thanks for the reply!