A coyote hunting for dinner!

Around where I live a coyote will run like heck if they spot a human but they are hunted around here. The yotos living in Huntington Beach aren't and aren't afraid. Same thing happened in orange county park 10 or 20 years ago with mountain lions. MTB riders were getting attacked and at least 1 was killed because hunting them was outlawed. 

Peoples lack of awareness is extremely discouraging. Don’t understand how people are so in their own little bubble that they don’t notice their child getting attacked by a coyote 10’ away, it’s disgusting.

I listened to a predator biologist and have a couple coyote books, Coyote America being the best read out of them. Very fascinating critter, the more you hunt them the faster their population grows. They actually come into estrous more often if their populations decline. Seems to explain the spread of coyotes over the last few decades. It all coincides with the huge increase in popularity of predator hunting. As desertsilver said hunting gives them a reason to fear humans though which is very valuable. Controlling population through hunting isn’t as useful as has been said forever, same with hogs. Don’t remember which state, I think Kentucky, banned hog hunting. They don’t experience the same problems with hogs that states around them experience. The biologist I listened to who is high up in his states DNR said it’s because hunters push them from hunting pressure, but the biggest problem is people moving them. I know some of these opinions may not sit well with everyone, but they come from real working biologists. Not to say they’re %100 correct, but it makes sense to me!

Beau

I did not used to mind coyotes, never had a reason to kill one. Don't get me wrong, I never held it against local farmers who killed coyotes, I just never had the need, even after coyotes ruined a deer I had shot.

But then the coyotes started using my wife's compost as bait for other critters (based on footage I have...coyotes are damn clever), and then came after my dog.

1.1651349616.JPG

download.png

So I had to take matters into my own hands. Bought a modified Benjamin bulldog, and dropped a lone coyote one night. Another night, I am pretty sure I got another lone coyote, but it ran off. But I guess there were at least 4 or 5 in my neighborhood based on other footage. Eventually the remaining coyotes seemed to grow afraid of my dog (even though my dog is a lovable but big wus who could not take a coyote but does okay against other big dogs when rough housing...she cowers when even a small dog attacks her), and seemed to stay clear of my yard. I guess the coyotes deduced that my dog killed them.

2.1651349870.jpg

Peoples lack of awareness is extremely discouraging. Don’t understand how people are so in their own little bubble that they don’t notice their child getting attacked by a coyote 10’ away, it’s disgusting.

I know some of these opinions may not sit well with everyone, but they come from real working biologists. Not to say they’re %100 correct, but it makes sense to me!

Beau

I've heard some say Coyotes won't try to lure pets out of yards, but I have seen videos, and I've seen them try to do it to my dog. I suspect some coyote groups adapt and learn new tricks, and you cannot judge one coyote based on the behavior of another. In the winter I've taken to walking around where I think they live just to harass them...I cannot shot them there but I like to make their life difficult. I heard one person who studies coyotes recount a story on a youtube video. He was live trapping them with foot restraints. Anyway, he caught a female, and a male was watching from a distance as he took his measurments etc. Anyway, long story short, after that, the coyotes would dig up his traps, and one time it even flipped one over and poop on it. Coyotes are too smart.

There’s no doubt they’re the smartest animal I’ve ever hunted. They’re actually cunning, you can see a coyote thinking as he’s going about his stalk on a predator call. They for sure can be pressured out of an area and I’m all for coyote hunting. I haven’t gotten one with an airgun yet, but I will. Dan Flores laid it out in Coyote America (I’m pretty sure I’m referencing the correct book, I’m checking into it to make sure) that the coyote is the one animal we haven’t been able to eradicate. He lays out all the reasons and it pretty much boils down to their pretty damn smart, and the more you kill the more they reproduce. Oh yeah they can live anywhere, eating anything. You can’t really limit their population, but you may be able to push them out of your area. Makes sense to me, there’s more now than there’s ever been.

I think the waves were making enough noise to drown out the sound of the attack for a while. I’m remembering an attack on a young woman in Maine years ago, if I remember correctly, she was a musician and hiking alone when attacked by a pack of bold coyotes and killed. Hopefully they will crack down on that population hard. Dirty thirty through the lights.

Looks like I got another young one coming back to my yard.

download.png

They also seem to recognize when the IR camera comes on. 

Clever animals.

Some IR cameras have 850nm illuminators, which have a visible emission that can be seen by humans and some animals. 930nm is s better wavelength if you want to be completely invisible. Additionally, some devices use a mechanical relay to turn on the illuminating LEDs when motion is detected instead of a transistor, and this can make an audible sound which can be heard by animals.

here’s the book, if anyones interested. It’s a very good read. I’ve got a hardcover and I’ve listened to it on audible. Both are good.

https://www.amazon.com/Coyote-America-Natural-Supernatural-History/dp/0465052991

Mostly through the book. The author is a competent writer but also seems to be left leaning in his characterization of the reasons for different pronunciations of the word coyote. But he has a good narrative, and after his initial political jabs, seemed to be down the middle. Whether the narrative he weaves is true or not I cannot tell, but the story he weaves sounds feasible. 

All I know is in my area we had coyotes one year, no rabbits the next summer (a good thing for our garden). But then the missing "do not chase" dog signs with phone numbers started popping up. I still didn't mind the coyotes. Until they started messing with my dog.

On the whole, I think I agree that if you have coyotes in an area, and they are not causing problems with pets and livestock, let them be. Better coyotes that aren't causing trouble than killing them and having other less well behaved coyotes moving in.

The part about coyotes having larger litters when there is a lot of pressure, as during the times when the federal government was using strychnine laced bait by the millions to kill them, wolves, and mountain lions, is something I am still trying to wrap my head around, specifically, the mechanism. Maybe when they howl at night, and hear no return howls from other coyotes, it triggers some sort of hormonal release in the coyote bitches to produce larger litters.

Anyway, good book, but due to politics of author, its hard to tell how much of it is true.

One thing he did not cover is the left's wildification of urban parks giving coyotes places to live in the city. On the one hand, they might keep rat populations down, but on the other, they kill dogs that they perceive to be competitors. 

Looks like I got another young one coming back to my yard.

download.png

They also seem to recognize when the IR camera comes on. 

Clever animals.

Some IR cameras have 850nm illuminators, which have a visible emission that can be seen by humans and some animals. 930nm is s better wavelength if you want to be completely invisible. Additionally, some devices use a mechanical relay to turn on the illuminating LEDs when motion is detected instead of a transistor, and this can make an audible sound which can be heard by animals.

Yes, I think they are seeing or hearing something. I think I am going to do some research into a better camera, or maybe just some wireless sensors.

here’s the book, if anyones interested. It’s a very good read. I’ve got a hardcover and I’ve listened to it on audible. Both are good.

https://www.amazon.com/Coyote-America-Natural-Supernatural-History/dp/0465052991

Mostly through the book. The author is a competent writer but also seems to be left leaning in his characterization of the reasons for different pronunciations of the word coyote. But he has a good narrative, and after his initial political jabs, seemed to be down the middle. Whether the narrative he weaves is true or not I cannot tell, but the story he weaves sounds feasible. 

All I know is in my area we had coyotes one year, no rabbits the next summer (a good thing for our garden). But then the missing "do not chase" dog signs with phone numbers started popping up. I still didn't mind the coyotes. Until they started messing with my dog.

On the whole, I think I agree that if you have coyotes in an area, and they are not causing problems with pets and livestock, let them be. Better coyotes that aren't causing trouble than killing them and having other less well behaved coyotes moving in.

The part about coyotes having larger litters when there is a lot of pressure, as during the times when the federal government was using strychnine laced bait by the millions to kill them, wolves, and mountain lions, is something I am still trying to wrap my head around, specifically, the mechanism. Maybe when they howl at night, and hear no return howls from other coyotes, it triggers some sort of hormonal release in the coyote bitches to produce larger litters.

Anyway, good book, but due to politics of author, its hard to tell how much of it is true.

One thing he did not cover is the left's wildification of urban parks giving coyotes places to live in the city. On the one hand, they might keep rat populations down, but on the other, they kill dogs that they perceive to be competitors.

I noticed the same shortcomings. I’m with you also on whose to say if it’s actually true, that’s an ever more increasing case with everything in our world today or we’re just realizing it. I listened to Dan on a couple podcasts though, and he doesn’t seem to have much of an agenda. I don’t know if the mechanism he laid out for them reproducing more holds water, but something caused their population to explode. Most likely a number of things, but seems like it correlates with the popularity explosion of coyote hunting. Odd thing to have more of a species killed while having a huge increase at the same time. Regardless it is a very interesting read, I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it.

Beau