• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

A Close Call or Never Trust the Auto-Shutoff Feature of an Air Compressor!

Yesterday, I found out what it might be like to have a time bomb in your hands!

Never trust the auto-shutoff feature of an air compressor. I have the Vevor portable air compressor. I got it in October and it has never failed me, till yesterday.

After connecting the air rifle to the compressor and getting it started to fill up the air rifle, I went about my merry business, setting up targets, selecting pellets, making a nature call and looking at some notes. Then I checked the pressure.

The pressure indicating needle was up against the pressure limiting needle (2700 psi) with the compressor still running. However, the pressure gauge on the air rifle was at the top end of the red arc (4000 psi)! That’s when I almost had another nature call!

The compressor was turned off, bleed valve opened, and rifle disconnected.

I dry-fired the rifle to get the pressure back down then investigated the matter with the compressor.

I put a test plug in the hose and ran the compressor. Each time the auto-shutoff failed. 

I called Vevor customer service today and they asked me to text them a video showing the malfunction. However, I could not duplicate the problem.

The only difference between today and yesterday is the humidity. The weather app said yesterday’s humidity was at 100%. There was condensation on everything.

So, I’m guessing that there was moisture accumulating on the circuit board or other circuitry causing problems. With the lack of condensation today, there isn't any moisture to cause the electronics problems.

The big lesson learned, for me at least, is to never trust the auto-shutoff feature. Even though it’s working fine now, I will be watching the pressure on the air gun and making sure the compressor is shut off in time to prevent an accident.

BTW, I know there is a pressure relief disk on the air rifle's tank but with my luck that might have failed as well if I didn't catch the problem in time.

I don't think any replacement parts can help.

I say that because I cannot duplicate the malfunction. In addition, I think the excessive moisture and condensation could have been the root cause of yesterday's problem.

I'd have to put the compressor in the same environmental condition that was in existence yesterday in order to see where the problem stems from.

So the only thing that would be prudent is to not rely on the auto-shutoff feature and be prepared to turn the pump off if it doesn't work.

Do you know how your pump is measuring pressure, for the purpose of the auto-off feature? 

I'm building a cheap little auto on/off circuit for a small (cheap) pump, to ensure the pump does not overheat, or over pressurize the tank. I was thinking of measuring pressure via the amperage the pump is eating.

No I don't. I'm guessing that when the pressure indication needle makes contact with the pressure limiting needle, that an electrical connection is made which signals the control board to stop the motor.

Like I said, that is a guess. Perhaps someone in the know could enlighten us.

Sorry that wasn't much help.

High pressure air is very dangerous and deserves a lot more respect than many of us offers. Good parts costs serious money. My pressure control switch cost $150, but even that high dollar switch cannot handle motor current. You must use a relay in between. In addition, you should never run a pressure system without a separate over pressure valve. It is common sense. My over pressure valve came from Australia and cost $115 US. Even your common water heater has a safety over pressure valve, why are we even allowing these cheap, dangerous Chinese compressors to be sold. Even scuba tanks have safety wafers that blow out under over pressure conditions.These cheap compressors have nothing. there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Just a thought…my Nardi had a mechanical valve that opens at mechanically set pressure. It’s never failed…when 4450psi is reached, it starts bleeding off.
The compressor just keeps on rock’n 

initailly I didn’t prefer it…but right now I kinda like it. It very fool proof, no messing with any setting. Close the hose valve, bleed, hook up the next bottle and keep pumping. 

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I installed my compressor in a 10' steel shipping container and I NEVER charge guns or bottles unattended. I have had several mishaps, like pressure wafer failures, fill whip ruptures and quick connect fitting failures and I can assure you every one of them was exciting enough for all the safety measures. Short cuts hurt people.

High pressure air is very dangerous and deserves a lot more respect than many of us offers. Good parts costs serious money. My pressure control switch cost $150, but even that high dollar switch cannot handle motor current. You must use a relay in between. In addition, you should never run a pressure system without a separate over pressure valve. It is common sense. My over pressure valve came from Australia and cost $115 US. Even your common water heater has a safety over pressure valve, why are we even allowing these cheap, dangerous Chinese compressors to be sold. Even scuba tanks have safety wafers that blow out under over pressure conditions.These cheap compressors have nothing. there is no such thing as a free lunch.

As far as I know pretty much all of the compressors have a burst disc installed. Most blow somewhere around 4500psi. Often a little earlier than that which really sucks.

Nope never trust the auto shutoff feature and lesson learned. 

Even though I normally stand close by my compressor when filling, never leaving it for more than a minute, I still bought the set pressure model just in case I space out and ferget what I am doing. Next in line in case I forget and the auto shutoff feature fails then the burst disc will blow, somewhere near 4500psi, before any serious problems occur. So, the compressors are actually pretty safe so long as you pay attention to the wear and fit of the fittings and hoses on them.

Many of the guns, on the other hand, are not made to take the full output pressure of the compressors. Still the guns reservoir needs to pass some pretty stringent tests that take them to near twice their operating pressures and beyond. Although that may not be enough to stop catastrophic failure in a lower fill pressure gun so pay attention and never leave them alone fer long.