Daisy 853 and backstop

Howdy all

With the winter months approaching, I got to thinking about being able to shoot my 853 indoors - it’s new to me, so don’t have any performance to point to yet. I was going to throw together a quick backstop - 1x4 frame, 3/4” ply back, filled with shot bags from my shot shell reloading. I got to wondering what the minimum size would be to ensure any “fliers” are caught. I’m guessing something around 18” square would be more than enough? Just wondering for those that own 853s….

Thanks!

Shoot it some more before deciding how big a backstop you need for indoors. As someone who would be extra-cautious for indoor shooting, I’d make a backstop bigger than anything I ever used outdoors, even if ALL the shots (thousands) in the last few months stayed within a small pellet trap.

Also, some posters have stated they have a 50’ indoor shooting alley. Others say theirs is 15’.

I don’t like repairing drywall, metal, wood, etc.

Reactions: mjb206
Well the worse I got was like 7" fliers at 10m using daisy pointed .177.. lol

I use a bucket trap at 32' indoor .

I got pillow stuffing fiber backfill with old folded blue jeans up front . Been working well at 500fps gun power.

For extra flier protection I used a cut plastic 55 gallon drum .

With that it's been just hang it and bang it
indoorbackstop.jpg
indoorbackstop3.jpg

Now this type is what I was going to build but that above worked so well I put it off for a later date 🤤
th-624859844.jpg

Yeah - I had seen that. I was more curious what others had seen with real world experience. I ended up using an old amazon box stuffed with material - I set a larger piece of ply behind it just in case - but thus far, I haven't had any fliers outside of the rings, and those were likely me and not actual fliers.

Yeah - I had seen that. I was more curious what others had seen with real world experience. I ended up using an old amazon box stuffed with material - I set a larger piece of ply behind it just in case - but thus far, I haven't had any fliers outside of the rings, and those were likely me and not actual fliers.
Ya......, but.

If like me and have one of them premature trigger pulls or discharge when not aimed at a target ..lol. oops

Ya......, but.

If like me and have one of them premature trigger pulls or discharge when not aimed at a target ..lol. oops
I had that happen with my IZH-46M the other day...and I'll be damned if I can find where it discharged to. I was in our master bedroom and the target was at the end of the hall. I can't find an errant hole or anything. I"m sure my wife will find it.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
I am looking to build a 3-5 position range for my AFJROTC students. Any thoughts on where to start?
I have a fairly large indoor range in my home. I built a cabinet with doors, storage below and range above. I bought a piece of 1/8" thick steel plate that is 4' x 8' set on a 45 degree angle to deflect pellets down. Backed up the steel plate with two pieces of 1/2" drywall to deaden sound ( no metal ringing) . I can have easy four shooters at a time. At the bottom is a bunch of old bed spreads, blankets and other heavy cloth items. Been there for almost 25 years, no issues. When I have a lot of shooting going on, I do open windows on each side of the room for venalation. Range is 10 meter/ 33 ft.

At our club, we made boxes 22x22 from 1x4 and cut a slot near the front edge to accept a piece of cardboard for easy changeout. The back was some scrap steel plate 1/8 thick followed by some hardboard (Masonite) to stop the ping. Worked just fine the pellets flattened out on the steel with no bounce back.
Wish I had a picture to send, but moved away and don’t shoot at the club anymore.