• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Events 7th and final National 50 benchrest match of our 2023 Season (Marion, OH)

Meeker Sportsman Club will be hosting our first N50 match of our 2023 season. It’s April 29, which is the same day as the “Toys That Shoot” Airgun Show in Findlay, OH. Therefore, we pushed our start time back until 2:00 so folks can attend the show in the morning and shoot the match with us in the afternoon. We are a little over an hour south of the show in Findlay.

Based on interest from last year we have added an additional (optional) 2 card 100 yard match to immediately follow the 50 yard match. We will shoot 3 N50 cards at 50 yards first and an optional 2 cards at 100 yards. You can shoot just the N50 or both. The cost is $20 for the N50 match and an additional $5 to shoot the 100 yard match.

9F8983B7-C5FB-440E-B015-4245BD433437.png

BTW, If you are not familiar with National 50 it's a relatively new 50 yard bench-rest league which is a LOT of fun to shoot. There is no cost to join N50. You can shoot any air rifle .177-.30 or any .22 rimfire rifle. The rules are more relaxed than the ARA rules. It's a great way to meet and shoot with others. Even though its a "competition" it's really only you competing against yourself so please don't feel any pressure to beat someone else because we have shooters from beginners to experts. After the match we will be handing out award certificates to the top 3 high scores in each class. That certificate and $5 might get you a cup of coffee or a Coke on your way home too
;)

https://www.national50.net/rules

BTW, If you are not familiar with National 50 it's a relatively new 50 yard bench-rest league which is a LOT of fun to shoot. There is no cost to join N50. You can shoot any air rifle .177-.30 or any .22 rimfire rifle. The rules are more relaxed than the ARA rules. It's a great way to meet and shoot with others. Even though its a "competition" it's really only you competing against yourself so please don't feel any pressure to beat someone else because we have shooters from beginners to experts. After the match we will be handing out award certificates to the top 3 high scores in each class. That certificate and $5 might get you a cup of coffee or a Coke on your way home too
;)

https://www.national50.net/rules

If I lived in Ohio, I would be there Tim. I have a shooting buddy that regularly competes in RF events. I need him to shoot a couple N50 cards with me at our local range. Good description above.

Tom

Just a reminder that we are hosting our 2nd N50 match this Saturday May 27. Registration begins at 11 and match starts promptly at noon. There will also be an optional 2 card 100 yard fun match immediately following if you want to test your skills at 100 yards?

Tim

I’m happy you are trying to get some 100y shooters to try their hand.

Please post any results with gun used, caliber, ammo used, target pics possibly… Some day, it would be very nice to see some N50 100 yard cards shot during N50 matches.

I know Mike N was experimenting with creating an N50 100 yard target quite a while back.

Best wishes for a good turnout.

Tom

What targets are used at 100Y?
Hi @Centercut (Mike),

We are using a 200 yard center fire target. It was suggested to me by Mike N. It’s a lot more forgiving and also cost effective as compared to the large EBR targets. We’ve used it on two prior matches and it has been well received. We score it with N50 plugs using best edge scoring. Each competitor must fire 5 shots into each bull. If there are 6 or more holes in a target then we score that bull as a zero. That may be wrong to score it as a zero but we were on the fence as which hole do we throw out? If we go down that path then what is to stop a shooter from firing a dozen or more holes? Therefore we just decided to limit each bull to 5 scoring holes.

Here is a link to the targets.

Tim

I’m happy you are trying to get some 100y shooters to try their hand.

Please post any results with gun used, caliber, ammo used, target pics possibly… Some day, it would be very nice to see some N50 100 yard cards shot during N50 matches.

I know Mike N was experimenting with creating an N50 100 yard target quite a while back.

Best wishes for a good turnout.

Tom
Hi Tom,
I will try to remember to get some additional pictures that you mentioned and post them after the match. I personally haven’t shot the 100Y match yet. I’m wearing lots of hats; such as match director, sign in guy, scorer, protest arbitrator and competitor as well as trying to get around to meet, greet and attend to all of our shooters. I’m not complaining because I thoroughly enjoy the day but as soon as I finish my 3rd N50 card I have to tally the scores and prep the award certificates to hand out immediately after the 100Y match is finished. Phew…

Hi @Centercut (Mike),

We are using a 200 yard center fire target. It was suggested to me by Mike N. It’s a lot more forgiving and also cost effective as compared to the large EBR targets. We’ve used it on two prior matches and it has been well received. We score it with N50 plugs using best edge scoring. Each competitor must fire 5 shots into each bull. If there are 6 or more holes in a target then we score that bull as a zero. That may be wrong to score it as a zero but we were on the fence as which hole do we throw out? If we go down that path then what is to stop a shooter from firing a dozen or more holes? Therefore we just decided to limit each bull to 5 scoring holes.

Here is a link to the targets.

So if I want Billy Bob to have his target thrown out all I have to do is ... ? Doesn't sound like a good way to handle it to me. Now a backing two or three feet behind the target that registers hits and direction... ;) It is more work to be sure but that's how the big boys play. Might as well start that now, I think you guys have a good thing going and it will only get bigger. If it (money) gets big enough, you are going to be forced to do it anyway.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,
I will try to remember to get some additional pictures that you mentioned and post them after the match. I personally haven’t shot the 100Y match yet. I’m wearing lots of hats; such as match director, sign in guy, scorer, protest arbitrator and competitor as well as trying to get around to meet, greet and attend to all of our shooters. I’m not complaining because I thoroughly enjoy the day but as soon as I finish my 3rd N50 card I have to tally the scores and prep the award certificates to hand out immediately after the 100Y match is finished. Phew…
Thanks. Do you shoot 5 shot groups or one shot in each target then repeat? It makes a difference.