• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other 78G reseal kits

even though i buy from JG their price for these seals is absurd i would just send it to Phil
https://philsvintageairgunrepair.com/services
Orings all Urethane
11041 #006
11047 #012
11226 #113

probe buna can be used either 70 or 90 Dura
.177 #004 can be buna 004 in urethane
.22 #006 can be buna 003 in urethane

stem seal is 3mm or 1/8 thick has to be urethane but material is hard to find and not cheap use a 5/16 leather punch for the OD and 5/32 for the ID
stem has to be pressed apart and not pounded apart with a hammer
block of wood with a hole for the stem and a vice will work

the tube that holds the top and bottom together is a bitch to get out but take a drill bit the ID size and catch the metal a twist and pull and out it comes an easy out would do the same

you can see it take a few things to do it yourself and if you lack the tools it is not worth it but if you want to do it because you want to learn than go for it
just some info

mike

SW78-79(1974)small.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Who_needs_powder
As for doing the re-sealing, I’ve found it to be quite straightforward. Only difficulty I had was getting the upper and lower halves separated … there’s a hollow tube that needs to slide out the front after removing the screw, and sometimes it needs a bit of coaxing to budge

Getting that extension sleeve out can be the hardest part of the rebuild. A wall anchor can help with the removal, and the plastic won't mar the metal:

IMG_6093.jpg

Last edited:
even though i buy from JG their price for these seals is absurd i would just send it to Phil
https://philsvintageairgunrepair.com/services
Orings all Urethane
11041 #006
11047 #012
11226 #113

probe buna can be used either 70 or 90 Dura
.177 #004 can be buna 004 in urethane
.22 #006 can be buna 003 in urethane

stem seal is 3mm or 1/8 thick has to be urethane but material is hard to find and not cheap use a 5/16 leather punch for the OD and 5/32 for the ID
stem has to be pressed apart and not pounded apart with a hammer
block of wood with a hole for the stem and a vice will work

the tube that holds the top and bottom together is a bitch to get out but take a drill bit the ID size and catch the metal a twist and pull and out it comes an easy out would do the same

you can see it take a few things to do it yourself and if you lack the tools it is not worth it but if you want to do it because you want to learn than go for it
just some info

mike

View attachment 467407
Thanks Mike. Have you used Phil's service's before?

Mine is sitting partially apart for more than a year as I could not get the extension sleeve out and I pushed the project aside. I will be trying the drywall anchor hack.

I tried out different sizes before finding green ones at Home Depot that work well. The trick is to adjust the screw in the anchor to the point it needs to be lightly tapped into the sleeve with a hammer. Then tighten up the screw, which may require holding the end of the anchor so it doesn't just spin in the extension tube.

Reactions: JohnTaylor
i think if i were doing these pistols all the time the extractor would be my go-to tool to remove the tube
it is easy to use but the again you would have to own one
the rub of working on your own guns is the tools
if you treat buying tools as a needed part of the hobby than it is not a problem a man cannot have too many tools but if it is not your goal to collect tools and the expense that it entails than send them out
i for i have the skills that i can work on most of mine and the tool purchase is a onetime deal with each tool and of course some you select might not work
so, then the question is cheaper to do yourself or to send them out
and the answer is if you plan to own just one send it out, if you plan to collect many get the parts and tool up if needed
things have change over the last 10 years
the prices of old use guns has doubled and or tripled in some cases and the supply has gotten small because of the interest and or a younger group of hobbyists but at some point, many of us older collectors will be selling their collection and it starts all again
we are just caretakers at this point in time and a new one will be needed down the road