• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other 78G/79G value

I bought an un-boxed example in February for the equivalent of around $150 at current exchange rates, someone has just bought one on a UK forum for the equivalent of $315 (un-boxed). I thought the seller was having a laugh at that price, but it was snapped up with no haggling.

Even at such inflated prices, my 78G and 79G are not going anywhere! They are too valuable to me...

I've got a 78G with the 2-stage trigger and the Low/High selector. Condition is excellent and serial is around 0020000. I paid close to $300, but I believe that was eBay pricing. Very rare to find the Hi/Lo and 2-stage trigger. I also have a 79G that doesn't have either and I paid $100 for it in excellent condition - like @Septicdeath it needed a reseal.

Great little pistol, but I wouldn't get too bent on needing the adjustable trigger as the standard one on my 79G is nearly as good.

Get pictures. Ask if they attempted a reseal themselve - one 78/79G I got was just listed as "leaking" and needing a reseal. Once I opened it up I could clearly see someone has used a steel pick and gouged deep lines trying to get out the o-rings. Took me a few solid nights buffing those out to get a seal that holds.

Get pictures. Shoot it to prove it holds CO2.

Plenty of other good vintage pistols out there are well. The Crosman MarkI/II is an excellent pistol.
You are right about the around $100 price. Recent E-bay purchases Crosman Mark I for $93 and Mark II for $83. Both in good working order. Also picked up a Daisy 41 powerline for $125 but the trigger is heavy due to safety recall repair.
Happy shooting

You are right about the around $100 price. Recent E-bay purchases Crosman Mark I for $93 and Mark II for $83. Both in good working order. Also picked up a Daisy 41 powerline for $125 but the trigger is heavy due to safety recall repair.
Happy shooting
I think I was bidding against you for that Power Line 41! That heavy trigger wasn't a recall repair. All the 41s I've come across so far were manufactured in January, March, and April 1983. By that point in time, Daisy was installing the drop safe trigger on all 790 and 41 pistols. They do have the nice, crisp factory D marking on on the grip near the piercing assembly so people wouldn't request the recall be performed on a pistol that already had the new trigger.

Daisy 41 #3.jpg
Here's one of my 41s.

Dropsafe #5.png
This picture shows a June 1982 Daisy 790 and a S&W 78g that was sent in for the recall.

Reactions: Modski66
And here is a picture of the most valuable 78g on the planet:

Dad's 78g.jpg

It's the one my Dad bought back in February of 1976, and was the first "real" gun I ever got to fire as a kid. As such, it's priceless! The paperwork in the picture was required because my state viewed this as an actual handgun.

I inherited it after he passed a few years back, and found the seals were bad (as they are on most). It was the first one of these I resealed and started a bit of an obsession with the Smith pistols as well as the Daisy 780, 790, and 41. Just recently we found the original box along with the $36.99 price tag.

Well I bought a very early 78G, SN Q001115. I will have a lot of questions once I get it. Pretty sure it will need to be resealed, I was told it shoots but looses the Co2 after a few days.
Crosman600Repair on ebay sell reseal kits for most older CO2 pistols out there.

Benn happy with all the kits I've purchased.

Reactions: JimBentley
Well I bought a very early 78G, SN Q001115. I will have a lot of questions once I get it. Pretty sure it will need to be resealed, I was told it shoots but looses the Co2 after a few days.

I saw that one - it's in nice shape. When it arrives you'll see a small cardboard tab at the rear of the box. If you pull up on this you'll find a compartment under the pistol where paperwork may be stored. Sometimes sellers have no idea to even look there, so don't advertise some of the additional items that may come with a pistol. Yours originally came with a "Model 78g Owner's Manual", blue warranty card, and a pink paper that was wrapped around the barrel advertising the dangers of residual CO2 in the pistol. You may get lucky and find some of these papers stored in that compartment.

As for rebuild kits, I've also purchased a variety of them from Crosssman600Repair as mentioned above. I've started using rebuilt exhaust valves in my 78g/79g and Daisy copies rather than the white one that comes in most kits. JGAirguns.biz offers a valve rebuild service for $21, They're good people to deal with!

There are several good videos on Youtube that show the disassembly, seal replacement, and reassembly process. As for tools, only one special tool is required, and that is used to access the small seal in the piercing assembly. This can be made with a flat tip bit and a Dremel. Here's a pic of the one I use along with some of the seals that came out of my first rebuild.

Bit.jpg

I saw that one - it's in nice shape. When it arrives you'll see a small cardboard tab at the rear of the box. If you pull up on this you'll find a compartment under the pistol where paperwork may be stored. Sometimes sellers have no idea to even look there, so don't advertise some of the additional items that may come with a pistol. Yours originally came with a "Model 78g Owner's Manual", blue warranty card, and a pink paper that was wrapped around the barrel advertising the dangers of residual CO2 in the pistol. You may get lucky and find some of these papers stored in that compartment.

As for rebuild kits, I've also purchased a variety of them from Crosssman600Repair as mentioned above. I've started using rebuilt exhaust valves in my 78g/79g and Daisy copies rather than the white one that comes in most kits. JGAirguns.biz offers a valve rebuild service for $21, They're good people to deal with!

There are several good videos on Youtube that show the disassembly, seal replacement, and reassembly process. As for tools, only one special tool is required, and that is used to access the small seal in the piercing assembly. This can be made with a flat tip bit and a Dremel. Here's a pic of the one I use along with some of the seals that came out of my first rebuild.

View attachment 467080
Thanks for the information. I would like a valve that may give it a bit more velocity, love to have it shooting 475-500. Haven't decided if I'm going to tackle it myself or find someone to do it, it's a very early gun and I'd hate to screw it up.

Thanks for the information. I would like a valve that may give it a bit more velocity, love to have it shooting 475-500. Haven't decided if I'm going to tackle it myself or find someone to do it, it's a very early gun and I'd hate to screw it up.
I’ve found it takes a bit of modification to get that velocity range. It will also most like likely become a gas hog too.

I think I was bidding against you for that Power Line 41! That heavy trigger wasn't a recall repair. All the 41s I've come across so far were manufactured in January, March, and April 1983. By that point in time, Daisy was installing the drop safe trigger on all 790 and 41 pistols. They do have the nice, crisp factory D marking on on the grip near the piercing assembly so people wouldn't request the recall be performed on a pistol that already had the new trigger.

View attachment 466945
Here's one of my 41s.

View attachment 466947
This picture shows a June 1982 Daisy 790 and a S&W 78g that was sent in for the recall.
Thank you for the education about the "D" stamp. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I read somewhere about the "D" stamp, don t remember the publication. If can recall I will give the reference. Again , Thanks always trying to learn.

I have heard nothing but good things about Airgunwerks. I suggest giving him a call and see what he says.