• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

760 Pumpmaster VS groundhog

I'm not looking for a debate or to pick a fight. My only skin in this game is to promote this sport. I did not say it's not possible, but I do insist it's a poor choice. Indulge me if you will by doing some research on this topic. One great, and free resource is http://www.americanairgunhunter.com/2ndedition_PGAH.html

I'm all about thinking outside the box, but sometimes the box is there for a reason... 

Frankly I have an issue with all the "one shot one kill" guys... In an ideal world that would be the case, but hunting ain't target shooting. One shot, one kill is not realistic. To promote our sport we need to be "right tool for the right job" guys. Groundhogs are tough, .177 can't cut the mustard.

Debate is what these forums are for;), how else are we going to learn and promote the hobby?
KazooRichie: You make a good point, and I agree that you should use the right tool for the job. That said, a POWERFUL .177 can do the job. I have said this several times, and suppose that would put me in your "one shot one kill guy" category;) When I say what I say, I DON'T mean: "don't waste your money on better equipment." I DO mean: "run what you brung, but be smart about it." I would never try nor suggest trying to take an animal tough as a groundhog with a pumper, but our friend ninja did, and luckily it worked. 
In the last two years I have humanely taken five groundhogs with my .177 springer. Three more were taken "less humanely", one of those with a poorly placed shot from a powerful .22 airgun (with three more lights out shots from the .22...these buggers are trying to take over the world, it seems!). What I took away from that is learning the patience to wait for the right shot, regardless of the equipment you have access to. If anything I have said came across differently, then I have some editing to do. This is the essence of airgun hunting, I think: Knowing when to pass up on a less than ideal/"bad" shot, even when you don't want to. Often, we learn this through experimentation. "I've just got to see for myself," kinda thing. If I had a nickel for every time I had to pass on a shot...I'd have a lot of nickels. Every time I think: "ahhh, I can take it," I remind myself of the groundhog I had to move half my wood pile to deliver the "coup de grace." NOT A GOOD FEELING! Kudos to ninja for a success. Hopefully he realizes that his 760 pumper isn't the best choice of equipment for that job. My failures have led me to the point where I don't try to take groundhogs with a .177 anymore, but only because I have better equipment. If I didn't have it/couldn't get it...177 Trail it is (NOT my Benji 397).

all that said...I love this forum for it's debates and ideas, and apologize if I've hijacked this thread. Hijack over...