• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

700mm impact barrel on the Crown

I saw in a video from the impact 700mm from airgun Depot. The reason they didn't make the 700mm on the crown is it would be too long and it's not needed, cause it's already accurate as it is. They put it on the impact cause it's a bullpup and the impact have a few place in the breech to support the longer barrel. The crown doesn't, it only hold the barrel like couple of inches so longer barrel will surely be top heavy, and easily be bump and change poi. Would you want to carry around a 50" gun during your hunt? Not sure how long it is with a 700mm barrel, but will be close to 48-50in I think.

I think it is going to happen. Fx USA posted this on instagram. 

1553159840_618459575c9356a08596d5.07368724_DBEADF48-F912-40CE-B1BA-C8BEB31E8B54.png

Has anyone heard if this new barrel fastening system/breach block is going to be on all Crowns?

I’ve watched all the IWA videos and they only showed it on the new compact. I’m ready to buy a new Crown in .25 and then the IWA show throws this wrench in the works. First it was the new AMP regs so I held off buying. 

I’ve heard a few people recommend not leaning the Crown on it’s barrel or you my see POI issues maybe this would help stiffen things up.

"I’ve watched all the IWA videos and they only showed it on the new compact. I’m ready to buy a new Crown in .25 and then the IWA show throws this wrench in the works. First it was the new AMP regs so I held off buying"

My friend if you hold off buying FX products until the new ones hit the shelves you will never own an FX!

The F in FX actually stands for FLUX as in the product range is in a constant state of FLUX, nothing to do with the owners Christian name as many presume it is!

No matter how many fasteners you add it's still drooping from the same point. The only way to make it work is to design a barrel band that clamps rigidly onto the end of the bottle.

Good solution . I would think that would work.

I'd be surprised if this worked well.

The bottle expands slightly when filled and coupled with the lack of STX barrel rigidity I suspect this would just replace droop/fragility with wandering POI thanks to force from the bottle expansion being directly applied to the barrel though the band.

No matter how many fasteners you add it's still drooping from the same point. The only way to make it work is to design a barrel band that clamps rigidly onto the end of the bottle.

Good solution . I would think that would work.

I'd be surprised if this worked well.

The bottle expands slightly when filled and coupled with the lack of STX barrel rigidity I suspect this would just replace droop/fragility with wandering POI thanks to force from the bottle expansion being directly applied to the barrel though the band.

Would the 500cc bottle they’re using on the Impact Mk11 bench work? I think it’s steel. The “Crown Bench”

Pretty much all of the tanks on guns would expand enough to potentially cause issues when attached to a barrel. If you get a chance try wrapping masking tape tightly around an empty cylinder before filling it- gives a pretty good visual indication of the degree of expansion. I suspect the steel cylinders might actually 'bulge' a bit more than the carbon wrapped ones.

Guns like the AA S400/500 get away with bands by attaching them to the very end of the cylinder at the fill port, where they can avoid the circumferential expansion exerting upward and downward force.

The Weihrauch HW100 has a thick steel barrel and a very thick steel cylinder and even they attach the band to the stock, with no support provided by the cylinder itself. Even so they put an oring in the hole for the barrel as well as cylinder to help alleviate any strain that may occur. 

Unfortunately with FX bottle guns it is much harder to put a band onto the end, for obvious reasons, and again the STX system's structural weakness vs other barrels man that relatively minor forces would have a bigger effect vs the above mentioned systems/guns. 

Perhaps one could make a low profile support 'bracket' of sorts attached to the front of the scope rail or to a stock attached picatinny rail (again, wood vs metal expansion with temp can cause issues) and extending forward to support the barrel, but that would look pretty frankstein 😜 Goodness only knows if that would work either.

I do recall the Evanix windy city rifle has some sort of barrel band/support attached to the very end of the carbon fiber cylinder - don't know how it's attached (?epoxy) though and if it's really doing anything or for show?

Might cause issues removing the cylinder from a crown tried on one. Would basically necessitate removing the barrel every time you wanted to turn down the reg.

1553238995_19018524285c948bd3ac4af4.87802850_D12EECBA-AFC2-49C3-9945-C6D6ED052931.png

for accuracy and consistency you shouldn't want a barrel band of some sort, for rigidity you could say it works. Barrel bands in almost all cases cause trouble in consistency over wider temperature ranges if there is contact with the barrel. Attaching it to the very end of the cylinder is indeed an option but during (de)pressurizing the end of the cylinder also moves around because the sidewalls expand and contract differently.

At the IWA show they said they were working on something to make the barrel with the shroud a more rigid system and it will arrive soon. Just wait and see because something is coming ;)

Their new breeches most probably will end up in the new crowns after some time but as far as I know there is no date announced yet. For now it is used in the super lite version of the crown (a light woods walker version basically). I like the new picatinny rails on top, only downside for me is there is still no 20 MOA cant included yet. Makes the use of most scopes a lot easier and you don't have to use adjustable mounts anymore :)