• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

7 years ago, 615 yard 12 oz cola can shot, why don’t you guys try it.

Google “Roachcreek 615 yard shot on 12 oz cola can Haley 257 airgun utube video. Sorry I do not know how to post links.

We called it the Pepsi Challenge 7 years ago.

I did this 7 years ago with the last Haley 257 that Jack Haley made, Leupold 4.5x14 scope, my cast bullets, filmed with a Sony Handycam by my wife.

Doug and Cedric came damn close and Rifle 50 blew me out of the water, so how come you guys with these $2000-4000.00 rifles don’t at least match it?

I know the FX WC III Hype will not get you there, but someone still must have the equipment to do this besides Rifle50. Maybe one of Doug’s, DYOTAT100, rifles or a AF 257 Texan?

Regards,

Roachcreek

Reactions: Healthservices
In my mind, this is when the golden age of slug technology began, seems like 6-8 years ago. The amazing groups with the .257 (and other calibers) at ranges that would make your head spin. It was then I absolutely knew that slugs would take over the world of super long range air gunning one day. Hats off to the guys that started this whole thing. You should be getting royalty checks from FX and NSA.

Cheers,

Glenn in Texas

I can hit shotgun shells at just over 400 yards with my .22 Impact and 28 grain slugs. I've also hit soda sized rocks at 500 but that's the farthest I've shot so far. Looks like I still got some work to do!

download.png

1594869755_16937465145f0fc7fb39ff93.12926909.jpg
1594869870_6388571095f0fc86ee94888.75299278.jpg

When I see videos like the first one I see a bunch of luck involved. You can tell by the vertical, what I mean is if "any" rifle/projectile combo has vertical measured at X? times the size of the target then hitting the target has a large measure of luck to it.

This reminds me of attempting to hit smaller targets with my expensive 22rf using expensive ammo at 500Y. The vertical is at least a foot so I'm just sending rounds down range hoping I'll hit the steel. Yeah I hit it, sometimes I can hit it in a few shots and other times it takes many shots, I'm doing it for the novelty by that point. So I pretty much stay inside 300Y which is a reasonable distance to hit what I want to. 

Sure it's fun trying this kind of stuff, sure if this is your thing then knock yourself out. I'm not trying to diminish one's efforts with all the work put into what it takes to do so. But if I consider that long range BR shooters using custom rifles and cartridges like 6mmBRA can achieve sub 1" at 600Y for 5 shots, I just can't see the point in using a airgun at those distances with vertical that large.

14 years ago I used to engage a 4' steel at 2500 yards with a 375 Cheytac but that rifle and cartridge had an easy 3' vertical so that distance provided challenge for that system since it was hard getting the wind correct. I suppose I could have put a pop can out there but it would be luck if I hit it.

If the vertical was acceptable with AG's at extreme distances like 600Y, etc, then I'd be all in. For me I want challenge but don't like lobbing in a volley of rounds until I hit something that small. Just getting the wind right is plenty of challenge already to me within the vertical of what I shoot at. 

Nevertheless I enjoyed the video and it's always fun to see what others are up to.

Some good points steve123.

I've been blaming most of my vertical spread on the wind.

My brother has his Ruger Precision in 22LR set up for long range and we've both noticed the PCP to be much more consistent out to 500 yards. Even though he has heavier projectiles with a better BC. We're both are leaning toward the loads just not being consistent enough. This is where I believe airguns can actually have an edge. 

Some good points steve123.

I've been blaming most of my vertical spread on the wind.

My brother has his Ruger Precision in 22LR set up for long range and we've both noticed the PCP to be much more consistent out to 500 yards. Even though he has heavier projectiles with a better BC. We're both are leaning toward the loads just not being consistent enough. This is where I believe airguns can actually have an edge. 

22rf ammo has poor ES, even the expensive ammo isn't that good, 30 fps ES is considered fantastic for top shelf ammo. Cheap stuff can have 150 fps ES!!! You can look up Justinamateurs post on snipershide about his 50 rounds at 200Y tests where he documents many different types of 22 ammo over the crono and then the vertical also.

Get your bro out there and film him side by side with you, that would be an interesting comparison.

What scope do you use, are MRAD's correct at the mag you are using, reticle thickness?

The range is at my old mountain place, I could shoot to 1100 yards, the wind was always circulating, but I had shot there for 20 years with everything from a SAR 25 to an engraved Borshardt 45.100.

It was very easy to bust cans at 500 Yards, but it was never luck. It is easy to write it off as luck from your keyboard, if you think so drag your ass out and try it with your BB gun.

My Haley, if I was “ lucky” would hold 1 inch at 300 yards, 5 shots, I often posted such groups on the yellow and TAG forums.

regards,

“ Lucky” Roachcreek

Roachcreek

No disrespect but the below is why it's hard for me to believe there isn't a bunch of luck going on here.

It's not "very easy to bust cans at 500 yards" with my $3500 6mmBR with 105gr/.536BC bullets at 2900fps, that group .3's at 100Y and has an ES of 6 fps, and I might add that I'm a 2 time AZ state long range champion, so I'm slightly above "keyboard commando status". In calm conditions I could maybe pull off 3 for 5 at 500?? 1 or 2 for 5 at 615Y. Maybe none at all if it's windy enough.

I know a couple guys, the Wilkes brothers, both Black Powder Silhouette AAA AZ state champions, that don't consider keeping all their hits on a full size Ram at 550Y in the wind "easy" but especially on the Turkey which is 421Y, and they are sending 565gr slugs at 1150 fps. These guys are wind wizards BTW and have $4000 match rifles that are MOA capable at 100Y. They'd be giving me those funny grins they have if I told them to hit a pop can at 615Y. Sure they could do it but how many try's would it take??!!

Let's say your slug has a G1 BC of .25 and is going 1000 fps. That is 6.7" drift per 1 mile an hour in a full value wind. Even DTubb couldn't guess 1/2 mph winds to achieve the 3.35" and he's won more long range matches than anyone I know of. A little brag here. I once finished 2nd place, one spot in the standings above 3rd place DTubb, at the Scorehigh challenge in NM about a decade ago. 

It's obvious your big BB guns can hit a can at 615Y but out of how many tries is the question?! 

I don't have a BB gun big enough, but certainly, I would love to come shoot "your slug spitters" with you and I'm sure I could learn some things from you. I'm not in the least bit kidding about learning from you, there's plenty I don't know about a lot of things. 

Reactions: Loren
There are guys continuing the long range tradition. Here’s Chris @upnorthairgunner hitting a golf ball at 600 yards with an AF Texan in Nov 2017. Very good video quality, you can actually see where his shots are landing as he zero’s in on the target. It would seem that he didn’t just match the coke can shot, he exceeded it with a golf ball. Great BB gun shooting! ;)

https://youtu.be/1z7uJwGZHfs

FYI, here’s another of Justin of Utah Airguns at 650 yards with an .25 FX Impact.

https://youtu.be/ozvvXPKYQHY

And yet one more of a ground squirrel shot at 563 yards with a .22 FX Impact (near the end of the video).

https://youtu.be/RzQbAYgyL4c

So Lucky, it looks like guys have been doing what you challenged them to do in your OP. There are many more similar videos on YouTube if you get lucky enough with a search engine...

Reactions: Ricochet
In my shooting career, I won the Oregon Practical rifle title in 81 and 85, the Sassb black powder title in 99 along with the 1000 yard BPC title and before that the chiefs Trophy in the PPB academy.

I took a early retirement with full pension at age 31 and went hunting commercially.

I lived and shot on that range for 20 years. from 400 yatrds to 1100 yards.

iIn preparation for the 500, 550 and 615 yard shot we took two trips up to that range making the videos.

For 6 or so months, every morning I shot on my 300 yard range after casting, sorting to plus or minus 1/10 th of a grainand sizing. After that I went to my daily work, shooting birds out of the tops of Doug Firs.

The gray patch is a mine tailing and is 12 feet wide and being on a hillside only gives you 6 feet in height. So at 500 to 615 yards I needed to know exactly where to dial my Leopolda, to do this I used Hornadays Ballistic chart and it got me to withIn 2 feet of the cans.

I first had to judge the wind, It swirls and I was shooting 300 feet above a canyon floor so no wind flags. I would shoot, then use the reticle for correction and try to get as many shots off before the wind changed.

At 500 yards it was easy, the 550 yard can was harder and I kept shooting around it for 10 minutes. You can see for yourself how tha went.

so to recap, I was very intimate with my rifle and scope, I had shot and lived on this range for 20 years, and knew now the wind fluctuated and how to deal with it.

I was never a weekend range shooter, I shot long range every day for almost 27 years. 
My father gave me many lessons in life, one of the best was about luck, He won the bronc riding at Calgary Stampede in 34 and Madison Square Garden in 36 and the Cheyenne Stampede in the 40’s, so he knew about luck, he told me a wise man needs no luck as he makes his own.

Regards,

Roachcreek

A little picture of my Commercial hunting days, before leaving Oregon’s SE Desert to bring my furs to market in 82.

1595905279_14107867495f1f94ff0f70c3.04051535.jpeg

In my shooting career, I won the Oregon Practical rifle title in 81 and 85, the Sassb black powder title in 99 along with the 1000 yard BPC title and before that the chiefs Trophy in the PPB academy.

I took a early retirement with full pension at age 31 and went hunting commercially.

I lived and shot on that range for 20 years. from 400 yards to 1100 yards.

iIn preparation for the 500, 550 and 615 yard shot we took two trips up to that range making the videos.

For 6 or so months, every morning I shot on my 300 yard range after casting, sorting to plus or minus 1/10 th of a grainand sizing. After that I went to my daily work, shooting birds out of the tops of Doug Firs.

The gray patch is a mine tailing and is 12 feet wide and being on a hillside only gives you 6 feet in height. So at 500 to 615 yards I needed to know exactly where to dial my Leopolda, to do this I used Hornadays Ballistic chart and it got me to withIn 2 feet of the cans.

I first had to judge the wind, It swirls and I was shooting 300 feet above a canyon floor so no wind flags. I would shoot, then use the reticle for correction and try to get as many shots off before the wind changed.

At 500 yards it was easy, the 550 yard can was harder and I kept shooting around it for 10 minutes. You can see for yourself how tha went.

so to recap, I was very intimate with my rifle and scope, I had shot and lived on this range for 20 years, and knew now the wind fluctuated and how to deal with it.

I was never a weekend range shooter, I shot long range every day for almost 27 years.
My father gave me many lessons in life, one of the best was about luck, He won the bronc riding at Calgary Stampede in 34 and Madison Square Garden in 36 and the Cheyenne Stampede in the 40’s, so he knew about luck, he told me a wise man needs no luck as he makes his own.

Regards,

Roachcreek

A little picture of my Commercial hunting days, before leaving Oregon’s SE Desert to bring my furs to market in 82.

View attachment 102118
Very impressive!