7 y/o just exp seed ticks

Well just went on a nature trail hike with my 7 y/o and dog figuring it would be a nice day being cloudy and low 70s. Half way through he won't stop itching his ankles. Figured it was from walking through the tall grass along the trail rubbing against his ankles. Finally looked to see what the problem was and he was covered in seed ticks. Didn't even think about them since I haven't had a bad case of them in a while. Had to give him a motivational pep talk to keep him on task and to stop scratching. We powered through, alcohol wiped, showered everybody (including the dog) and are home safe and sound. My permethrin treated pants had tons of dead ticks and kept me relatively tick free. Definately a promoter of pretreating your clothes with the stuff. He didn't tell me till we were leaving that he saw a warning sign about ticks at the entrance. I missed it.

When we first bought our property in NE. Ohio it hadn't been used in 5 years and was covered with high weeds and woods (11 acres). We ended up covered in brown dog ticks every time we went there to cut down the weeds andclean it up. We then found out about Insect Shield clothes that are soaked in permethrin and can be washed up to 70 times before you have to retreat them. They were a Godsend! In the past two years we have not found one tick on either of us. I bought the property to build a range for my airguns and pest hunt and now I can go there and use it all year without worrying about Lymes and other tick borne diseases.

Reactions: fishing43 and mh
Check out this rare double butt mashroom we found

20230815_123046.jpg

When I was a kid some 60something years ago my Grandpa used to take me hunting with him and said to never hunt rabbits before the first hard frost because of ticks on the rabbit with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. We now have the Lone Star Tick in Ohio which can give you the disease that makes you very sick if you eat beef. I don't remember having a big problem with ticks when I was a kid and I spent morning till dark in the woods all Summer.

When I was a kid some 60something years ago my Grandpa used to take me hunting with him and said to never hunt rabbits before the first hard frost because of ticks on the rabbit with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. We now have the Lone Star Tick in Ohio which can give you the disease that makes you very sick if you eat beef. I don't remember having a big problem with ticks when I was a kid and I spent morning till dark in the woods all Summer.
They used DDT back then. Be careful with permethrin if you have cats. It will kill them.