• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

6k Nitrogen tank

Are there any FX owners currently using Nitrogen? What has your experience been. I’m currently looking to spend $2,000 on a compressor, Would take a lot of Nitrogen bottle and fill ups to equal that. Even considering the connecting valve.

Then again you could keep yopurself up at all times and fill for others to recoupe the costs of a good compressor!

This is an old thread, but since you've resurrected it.......

6k N2 tank valves are fairly high-flow, one just has to be very careful if not using a reg.

I use my regulator until the tank drops below 3kpsi. Once below 3kpsi I replace the regulator with a simple fill station with gauge and bleed valve. I normally keep 2 tanks and will exchange the lower pressure of the two once both are below 3kpsi.

Nitrogen's practicality all boils down to your local gas supplier. I am very fortunate that we have a well-run franchise in our area.

Unsolicited advice------- if you want to get good service/pricing----conduct yourself professionally, posture yourself as if you were purchasing consumables for your business. Don't go in there like a hobbyist......Have your act together with regards to loading/unloading tanks. Pay with a card, do not show up with cash. In other words, do not stand out nor require any special handling/service different than the rest of their customer base.

YMMV, but this is how I've remained a happy N2 customer for 6-7 years now.

Please pardon my ignorance, but why do you need a regulator. If you are going to dispense to a smaller 4500 or 3000 psi bottle, why can't you just carefully use the tank valve manually the same as you would fill your gun from a scba or scuba tank? All you would need would be an adaptor to fit the tank valve to either a Foster or directly attached 630 bar rated microbore hose. I would think you could rig something up for under $50. I know this setup might be a bit touchy to fill a small gun cylinder but it should be fine filling a larger bottle.
You absolutely do not need a regulator for the reasons you have just mentioned.A 97 cu ft 4500 psi carbon fiber and just watching the gages is all I’ve ever used.Would be dam near impossible to overfill the aforementioned carbon fiber using a 494 cu ft steel Nitrogen tank.I have been using this set up for 6 years now,and I do not own a regulator( other than the ones in my rifles)

I rent the 6k Nitrogen tanks and don't use a regulator. Just a valve and pressure gauge from Joe B. $189.
Just need to be very careful and slow with releasing the air from the 6k tank to your gun or CF tank. Been doing it about two years now and not even close to any problems.
Same here.I use a 494 cu ft steel Nitrogen cylinder,and I also utilize (2) 97 cu ft 4500 psi Great White carbon fiber.I have a booster pump from Extreme Big Bore to help me run that steel down low before its time for a swap

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Same here.I use a 494 cu ft steel Nitrogen cylinder,and I also utilize (2) 97 cu ft 4500 psi Great White carbon fiber.I have a booster pump from Extreme Big Bore to help me run that steel down low before its time for a swap
I will soon be adding a booster to my setup.

How low can you take your N2 tank before it is no longer practical to boost?

Agreed on the regulator being optional for many, especially if one is filling anything in excess of 300cc or so. I direct fill my guns and prefer to use a reg whenever the tank is above 3000-3500psi. The reg has a DIN300 connector so I can also connect it to my portable tanks for tethering.

I will soon be adding a booster to my setup.

How low can you take your N2 tank before it is no longer practical to boost?

Agreed on the regulator being optional for many, especially if one is filling anything in excess of 300cc or so. I direct fill my guns and prefer to use a reg whenever the tank is above 3000-3500psi. The reg has a DIN300 connector so I can also connect it to my portable tanks for tethering.
The truth is ,I cant tell you exactly how far down you can run before booster pump is no longer effective,because I havent been there yet.From everything I’ve read ,I’m expecting I will go down to 1500psi perhaps? I have only been using the extreme big bore booster since like 2021,and have been using 6000 psi 494 cu ft Nitrogen cyliner since 2018 or so. My local Airgas told me that they personally do not give a poop how I get the steel cylinder to them for a swap.They said bringing it in a car is just fine with them and thats exactly what intend to do next time ,but with the booster pump and my shooting needs,it could still be years before I need a swap.

Last edited:
The truth is ,I cant tell you exactly how far down you can run before booster pump is no longer effective,because I havent been there yet.From everything I’ve read ,I’m expecting I will go down to 1500psi perhaps? I have only been using the extreme big bore booster since like 2021,and have been using 6000 psi 494 cu ft Nitrogen cyliner since 2018 or so. My local Airgas told me that they personally do not give a poop how I get the steel cylinder to them for a swap.They said bringing it in a car is just fine with them and thats exactly what intend to do next time ,but with the booster pump and my shooting needs,it could still be years before I need a swap.
Sorry, I misunderstood your posts.

My cylinders are currently near the lower end of usefulness, one is 3200psi, the other is 2400psi. I was planning to exchange a cylinder this week, but today received word that my booster would ship either Friday or Monday. I plan to wait on the cylinder exchange and stretch these as far as I can. Typically I am filling 200-300cc tube guns from 1800psi back to 3500psi. If the booster enables me to wait until 2024 to exchange a cylinder I'll call that a win. Once I get to the point where I have to exchange a cylinder I'll be sure to update the thread.

• Love
Reactions: Steveguy

My cylinders are currently near the lower end of usefulness, one is 3200psi, the other is 2400psi. I was planning to exchange a cylinder this week, but today received word that my booster would ship either Friday or Monday. I plan to wait on the cylinder exchange and stretch these as far as I can. Typically I am filling 200-300cc tube guns from 1800psi back to 3500psi. If the booster enables me to wait until 2024 to exchange a cylinder I'll call that a win. Once I get to the point where I have to exchange a cylinder I'll be sure to update the thread.
What booster you got comin? Altaros?

IMG_0559.jpeg

IMG_0560.jpeg

[IMG alt="Steveguy"]https://www.airgunnation.com/data/avatars/s/29/29415.jpg?1694935329[/IMG]

1700689541231.jpeg

Definitely wait on swapping or filling your cylinders until after you get the booster pump.My booster can make Nitrogen last much,much longer .My steel tank still has 4000 psi in it.With the booster,I get so many fills its scary

Definitely wait on swapping or filling your cylinders until after you get the booster pump.My booster can make Nitrogen last much,much longer .My steel tank still has 4000 psi in it.With the booster,I get so many fills its scary
I am using this to drive the piston of the booster pump,so I save way more of my Nitrogen this way
1700690423652.jpeg

Thanks for sharing those details. In this area all of our 6KN2 cylinders are green, I have never seen a black one over here. Initially plans are to both feed and drive the booster with nitrogen. Depending on how much nitrogen this consumes will dictate if I change over to my shop compressor driving the booster.

I ordered the booster manufactured by XP Airguns under the Ayrtekk name and distributed by Maddog Stocks. Nothing against the folks at Altaros, they have always been great to work with. There were several instances where if the Altaros bottle to bottle setup was available I would have ordered it. I inquired a couple of times and Altaros could not even estimate when the b2b setup would be in stock.

If anyone is looking for a booster right now, call Doug at Maddog, current leadtimes are about 1/3-1/2 of what is posted on his site.

Reactions: Steveguy
Thanks for sharing those details. In this area all of our 6KN2 cylinders are green, I have never seen a black one over here. Initially plans are to both feed and drive the booster with nitrogen. Depending on how much nitrogen this consumes will dictate if I change over to my shop compressor driving the booster.

I ordered the booster manufactured by XP Airguns under the Ayrtekk name and distributed by Maddog Stocks. Nothing against the folks at Altaros, they have always been great to work with. There were several instances where if the Altaros bottle to bottle setup was available I would have ordered it. I inquired a couple of times and Altaros could not even estimate when the b2b setup would be in stock.

If anyone is looking for a booster right now, call Doug at Maddog, current leadtimes are about 1/3-1/2 of what is posted on his site.
I wish i would have gone aryytek too,I’m thinking , being that Extreme Big Bore and the warranty to my booster are dying,although ,this thing will most likely work fine for a long time especially given how little I have to work it.They tell me if you dont use a shop compressor and just use your N2 to drive booster,it eats up ALOT MORE gas.I may order an Arrytek booster still just to have a back up.These things are amazing if you’re either shoooting big bores or else shooting small bores with N2 like me.The idea of ordering these pumps in the USA is appealing to me.But Extreme Big Bore was up for sale ,other than that their booster dies.Altaros has been around for a minute and they say have excellent service( but in Czech Republic) and are aboutnthe same price as the one you’re getting.The one I have cost about what the Maddogg stock pump costs by the time I bought extra whips and gages. Its a pain in the but to hook up shop compressor and booster just to fill rifles,but its soooo fast and efficient its crazy.Those Nitrogen cylinders are heavy when the time comesMan,those things are a ball bust.This 494 cu ft steel cylinder is a total ball bust

Last edited:
I wish i would have gone aryytek too,I’m thinking , being that Extreme Big Bore and the warranty to my booster are dying,although ,this thing will most likely work fine for a long time especially given how little I have to work it.They tell me if you dont use a shop compressor and just use your N2 to drive booster,it eats up ALOT MORE gas.I may order an Arrytek booster still just to have a back up.These things are amazing if you’re either shoooting big bores or else shooting small bores with N2 like me.The idea of ordering these pumps in the USA is appealing to me.But Extreme Big Bore was up for sale ,other than that their booster dies.Altaros has been around for a minute and they say have excellent service( but in Czech Republic) and are aboutnthe same price as the one you’re getting.The one I have cost about what the Maddogg stock pump costs by the time I bought extra whips and gages. Its a pain in the but to hook up shop compressor and booster just to fill rifles,but its soooo fast and efficient its crazy.Those Nitrogen cylinders are heavy when the time comesMan,those things are a ball bust.This 494 cu ft steel cylinder is a total ball bust
1700725768462.jpeg

What you're looking for is a "Ninja High Pressure Fill Station" or Ninja HPFS. This fill station is designer to connect to nitrogen tanks with a CGA 677 fitting.

Here's a video of it on a 6k nitrogen bulk tank:

Mfg site where you might be able to order directly if you get in contact with them:
http://www.ninjapaintball.com/fillstations

Few retailers I found in a quick search:
https://blackopswebstore.com/products/copy-of-48-cubic-inch-3000-psi-aluminum-ninja-tank-1

https://airtanksplus.com/product/ninja-high-pressure-fill-station/
This is the one I was referring to.

This is an interesting thread. I have a high dollar Bauer 4 cyl compressor, so I will not be doing this nitrogen thing, but I see the attractiveness of its use. I am also a user of industrial gasses like Helium, Argon, Oxygen, Acetylene and CO2. I used to lease my tanks, but I made a deal with my supplier that allowed me to buy new tanks and exchange them with him for full ones as if they were his leased tanks and I just pay for the refill and delivery cost. The supplier takes care of all the tank testing costs as if the tanks were his. Effectively, this one time purchase relieved me of the annual demurrage costs forever. I'm pretty sure other industrial gas houses will make a similar arrangement for you if you ask nicely.

Reactions: JCarlin2778