60 yd Benchmark group for .177 Polymag "Shorts" (JSB). Test posting method.

fbfcc13d6c880a927bfd1fc604ca4351.jpg

60 yards 0.60" ctc from RAW TM1000 at an overthetop 970 fps.
Pest shooters and hunters may find this of interest.
The little "short" .177 Polymags can do very well in reasonably stable air.
They should be deadly on those squrrels . They are my go-to 177 pellets for Indian Myna birds, a very invasive bird here in OZ.

Anyway, John's posting instructions are now working for me, thanks John, I gave you a + ! ... Best regards, Harry.

Hi Harry. Does that TM have a polygonal barrel or L&G's? Are those pellets shooting that good out of all of your .177's? I know you know your stuff, I'm just not sure if the magic is from the rifle, the pellets, or a needed combo of both to get that good of a group.
When you say reasonably stable air, were you shooting in dead calmness for this group? Holding off at all, or just squeezing them off when you see the flags drop, leaves stop moving, heat mirage rising straight up, and you don't feel a thing on your skin?
. Also, is 970fps the most accurate you've found these pellets to fly at?
I'm new to this forum. Did your Crown arrive yet?

"JamesD." Hi Harry. Does that TM have a polygonal barrel or L&G's? Are those pellets shooting that good out of all of your .177's? I know you know your stuff, I'm just not sure if the magic is from the rifle, the pellets, or a needed combo of both to get that good of a group.
When you say reasonably stable air, were you shooting in dead calmness for this group? Holding off at all, or just squeezing them off when you see the flags drop, leaves stop moving, heat mirage rising straight up, and you don't feel a thing on your skin?
. Also, is 970fps the most accurate you've found these pellets to fly at?
I'm new to this forum. Did your Crown arrive yet?
The TM 1000 was an early rifle with standard LW barrel James, not polygonal.
The .177 Polymag shorts shoot extremely well from my three .177 rifles, the TM1000, the FWB 124 D and the FWB 300 S. Of interest they also do well from a 100 yr old vintage BSA bell target rifle!
Stable but not dead calm - some. small amount of hold off from memory - late afternoon at the farm the air is often quite predictable as it sinks down from higher country. Sometimes I prefer that to "dead calm" which is a seldom known state. Release some scotch thistle down or feather down and it seldom falls directly to the ground but will climb and swirl about and float off. Pellets have to negotiate all of that. But when the air is just streaming by to a lower pressure zone, whether gently or even quite strongly, it is easier to predict and the pellets can settle in to a stable flight attitude with heads slightly into the wind.

I find all the Polymag pellets seem to like a bit of speed. Though their bc is lower than our best round nose JSB pellets and they drop a little more at longer ranges, I find particularly these .177 shorts and the .25 Polymags are some of my most accurate pellets. ... I would not be without them for certain "purposes". 

The Crown has been released from Customs at last and should be delivered to my firearms dealer tomorrow up near our farm 500 km north. We will be there for work the week after this coming week. So I guess I will be shooting it in about ten days time. ... It left Sweden with the first lot in July. Australia is indeed a fair way for anything but that suits me just fine!
Kind regards, Harry.

"Lewis"Shameless thread hijack!
Harry,
How common are the sulpher crested cockatoos where you live? I owned one as a pet for many years. He was a true member of the family.

And great shooting as well!
They are VERY common Lewis. Even here in the city the are about in numbers.
That pic was taken from my front verandah when there were perhaps twenty in the garden and on the footpath. They can be very destructive with that big powerful beak and are a real pest on some crops. They cost farmers untold millions throughout cropping seasons - but we love them just the same! ... Excellent talkers in captivity, but their call is HARSH ... Regards, Harry. (I just heard one over the house as I wrote that!).

Harry I concur throughly with your "harsh" comment on the cockies. We live in the bush half way between Gympie and Maryborough in Queensland and it's very disturbing to be woken up at sparrow fart by 15 to 20 cockies screeching their lungs out. They fly over in great numbers and if you have any type of fruit on your trees, except lemons it's gone.
Gary

"aa_limited"I have a raw 500 bm and I have a tin of those pellets too. I have both lw and poly barrels. I will be sure and give them the test with both barrels when the wind is dead still.
how did u get an fwb barrel?
I contacted FWB in Germany by email and arranged to have it sent to me in Australia.
It wasn't cheap and came as a sleeved barrel for fitting their own rifles. I had a mate turn up a brass sleeve for the chamber end to fit the TM1000 action and we drilled a tranfer port.
It all worked out well. ... Can't say if they would do this on a regular basis. I had to be patient waiting for one. ... Regards, Harry.