5fpe enough for rats?

I seriously feel like Im 12 again, and the best part is my wife loves me to shoot rats they destroy vehicles here. I picked off one tonight right in the dome, and another body shot. Honestly, the gto pellets are kickin butt! But kinda pricey, so Im gonna shoot these up and go back to some wadcutters.

At the short distances and low velocities, probably most cheap pellets will do quite well.

F01937AF-1EEC-4D80-80BD-577D162E0757.1609642538.jpeg

As regard suitability for rats, i have routinely taken them with this pistol. It has been specially tuned to produce a damped 520 fps with 8 grain Domes. 500 fps is a realistic figure provided you can group tight and restrict the range. The above group has been deliberately shot with 2 clicks low of point of aim to show accuracy at my usual 8 to 12 paces. Aiming just behind the eye, i have found the pellet will often shoot clean through.

I prefer a Dome pellet like an AA express or Falcon because they retain almost all their energy at these ranges. Taken together, i feel this is a realistic proposition for such shooting.

People will often attack shooters that choose a pistol for such shooting but will usually lack the required pistol marksmanship.

Practise and discipline is required for sure, but 500 fps is enough. I have found that a Domed pellet from my rig above, will retain approx 480 fps at point of impact across the first 12 yards and will cleanly penetrate both sides of a household tin can, or approx 8 beer tinnies. I tend to set an absolute max range of 15 yards, after which accuracy and velocity starts to drop off rapidly.

F01937AF-1EEC-4D80-80BD-577D162E0757.1609642538.jpeg

As regard suitability for rats, i have routinely taken them with this pistol. It has been specially tuned to produce a damped 520 fps with 8 grain Domes. 500 fps is a realistic figure provided you can group tight and restrict the range. The above group has been deliberately shot with 2 clicks low of point of aim to show accuracy at my usual 8 to 12 paces. Aiming just behind the eye, i have found the pellet will often shoot clean through.

I prefer a Dome pellet like an AA express or Falcon because they retain almost all their energy at these ranges. Taken together, i feel this is a realistic proposition for such shooting.

People will often attack shooters that choose a pistol for such shooting but will usually lack the required pistol marksmanship.

Practise and discipline is required for sure, but 500 fps is enough. I have found that a Domed pellet from my rig above, will retain approx 480 fps at point of impact across the first 12 yards and will cleanly penetrate both sides of a household tin can, or approx 8 beer tinnies. I tend to set an absolute max range of 15 yards, after which accuracy and velocity starts to drop off rapidly.

Nice looking pistol and sound advice. I am still a .25 fan but your setup is cool and you are successful with it.

1BA960A4-5E15-4307-9CC0-74273C97024F.1609692053.jpeg

Cheers buddy, I did mod up a .22 version, keeping it with the std. opens but its 400 fps gave a much more loopy trajectory for those 5 - 7 yards past my regular 10 yards range...pretty much pinning it to an absolute max range of 10 yards if wanting the same accuracy as above.

Interestingly, I got no increased power from the TP reduction I did on the .177 which puzzled me. Some element of choking going on while trying to shift the bigger bore pellet along and so drilled it back out to its stock 4mm TP....Even so, still a good chunk of power for a 13.8 grain pellet out of one of these, massively out powering say a P17 converted to .22....blowing a hole clean through a soup can.