Diana 54’s and 56TH… What to do???

Hi Folks,
So I used to have a 48, which I owned for many years and loved very much. I had to sell it a few years ago, not by choice, and I’ve wanted another ever since.
So I put an add onto my local air rifle forum (much smaller then this one) asking if anyone wanted to sell a second hand 54 or even better, a 56TH 😳 the Rolls Royce of Diana’s, because if your going to go, go big right?

I wasn’t expecting to find a 56TH, but was hoping I might find a second hand 54.
Well, an old model 54 came to light. I hummed and haard and eventually decided to buy it, although it was a bit more then I wanted to pay. I’m still waiting to take delivery if it.

And now…. Another member has contacted me saying he has a 56TH that he’s willing to sell… 🙈🙈🙈
Oh what to do…

The old model 54 I’ve just bought.
IMG_7281.jpeg

The 56TH that’s now avalible
2d80a730-2ab1-47b6-8670-b9458bc41a6f.jpeg

The choices we have to make in life 😂
Oh what to do…???

Hi Folks,
So I used to have a 48, which I owned for many years and loved very much. I had to sell it a few years ago, not by choice, and I’ve wanted another ever since.
So I put an add onto my local air rifle forum (much smaller then this one) asking if anyone wanted to sell a second hand 54 or even better, a 56TH 😳 the Rolls Royce of Diana’s, because if your going to go, go big right?

I wasn’t expecting to find a 56TH, but was hoping I might find a second hand 54.
Well, an old model 54 came to light. I hummed and haard and eventually decided to buy it, although it was a bit more then I wanted to pay. I’m still waiting to take delivery if it.

And now…. Another member has contacted me saying he has a 56TH that he’s willing to sell… 🙈🙈🙈
Oh what to do…

View attachment 432756

View attachment 432757

Oh what to do…???
2 is better than 1 .

Hi Folks,

Oh what to do…

View attachment 432756

View attachment 432757

Oh what to do…???
Keep the accurate one.

Buy both. Shoot and compare groups. Then keep the accurate one and sell the other one.

If esthetics and ergonomics are also important...then find the more accurate action/barrel and if needed, switch stock (to I assume the 56). Then sell the other one.

Or as suggested...buy both and keep both. Cos if you are thinking of shooting FT with the RWS...it's always nice to have a backup. I use my back up to break in my next spring.

what is any difference besides the stock in the 54 VS 56 ? tried Google and didn't get anywhere .
The actions/internals are identical, both are on a sliding sled that makes them almost recoil-less.
54- sporter stock (which looks like walnut), open sights, no silencer(just front sight housing). It is a 1996 model, so TO1 trigger.
56TH- thumbhole stock (which looks like beech), no open sights, large silencer.
Not sure of the year model, but post 2012ish as it has the TO6 trigger.

Reactions: beerthief
Don't feel too bad for not getting the 56.

I have a D54, and wouldn't even consider getting a D56. The 56 is much heavier (and that's something when the comparison is the D54!), it is barrel-heavy, which the 54 isn't at all, and the muzzle weight has issues keeping in place and together, which erodes accuracy. The 56 doesn't have open sights, but the 54 does. All in all, the D54 is a better gun.

the 56 is listed at 11.1 lbs, whereas the 54 is list at somewhere between 9 and 10 lbs
the 54 is still being made and is priced at almost 900 bucks in red
the 56 was made for three years and has a Blue Book value of 750.00 in 100 %
the numbers of 54 will be vast and the numbers of 56 is very small and for that point i would also buy the 56 and the money you spend can or could be made back down the road
i have always liked owning thing that few others have the Diana 56 all the way

Reactions: Ievgen721
I love my 56TH. It will be in my estate sale. That said, what Toxylon posted above is true. The 54 and 56TH are the same mechanically but the shroud and MW architecture are different. That big muzzle weight on the end (it’s not a moderator) is too heavy and it won’t stay tight no matter what you try. It’s the reason the gun feels barrel heavy and why they only used 2 screws is beyond me. The barrel shroud has also been known to slip on the inner sleeve. You can fix that by flaring the end of inner sleeve but that won’t solve the MW issue. Couple options. You can use the 54 barrel shroud and go to the high performance muzzle weight (HPM) for the 54 from Diana. Or, you can buy the HPM that Hector Medina makes for the 56TH. That change saves you I believe it was almost 8 oz. All of the 56TH have the trigger with a dimple in the “upper” lever and you’ll feel some creep. It’s fixable. Hector can do that for you if you don’t want to tackle. Out of the box the 56TH is as accurate as a 54, but the 54 doesn’t have those nagging issues. In stock form mine would shoot 5 shots groups in the teens CTC at 30 yards. Once the issues are fixed the 56TH is equal to the 54 and then it’s just personal preference. For me, I prefer the look and the ergonomics of the 56 and I’d take it over the 54 if I had to choose. As others have said, both is the best answer. Pic of mine as it sits with Hector’s HPM and CF shroud and a Morgan recoil pad I added purely for looks.

20240110_170027_resized.jpeg