• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

$500-$600 range entry PCP recommendations

Hi jaygrieg
I am using the Hatsan bullboss in .22 cal.bought it from air gun depot as a package including a bi pod and a really nice 2.5-10 x 50 E-SFT Side ranging knob scope for around or a little over $ 600.00. Then add another $200.00 for a hand pump or $350.00 for a 90cu. air bottle with a 2900 p.s.i. regulator. My bottle has a 3000 p.s.i. regulator, and then, the bottle, only if you live near a fill station that can fill to 4500 p.s.i. There are 2 paintball fields about 45 mins. to 1 hr away from me .You will get about 20 good shots using 18 grn. pellets before having to refill from 1000 p.s i . to 2900 p.s i that will give you about 5-6 fills with the 90cu. bottle {4500 p.s.i.}. The rifle is unregulated but for another $100.00 you can get a drop in 125 bar regulator. The 230 cc air resivoir is removable and extra cyliders can be had for $ 150.00. The gun itself is very well made ,side lever cocking that is snappy and easy without any slop during cocking. In .22 cal. you get 2- 10 shot { very well made } metal rotary mags. and anti double load protection. the power can be adjusted but not with a power knob . You will have to do some diss assembly to adjust the factory power setting. The trigger is 2 stage adjustable for l.o.p. break point and weight of pull using the incluced red handled tool. The gun is extremely accurate at 25,50,75,&100 yrds the barrel is button rifled and has a noise reducer that makes the gun almost whisper quiet and back yard friendly. The rifle is solid and every thing is attached firmly .But before you cock the gun make sure all the cocking handle screws are tightened [ THIS IS SOMETIMES A PROBLEM WITH THE BULLBOSS AND THE GLADIUS } For the price point this is a great gun and I would give it a 5 star rating in all areas .This is a very fine 1st. P.C.P but like all pc.ps they require a additional air supply to keep them going. As soon as I can afford it I am purchasing the air venture 110 volt 4500 p.s.i. compressor .Another $1300.00 I hope this helps

Bubbadog makes a good point. When it comes to costs, sky is the limit, and the gun isn't anything near the only component.

Gun $500
Pump 200
90 cu inch bottle $350
Scope 200 and up
Rings $ 10 to $100
refills whatever your shop charges

Options like: 
Regulator $125
extra resivoirs $150
ammunition $ 15 per tin of 500
compressors $300 and up
bipods / bags $whatever you want to spend

Ah, if I only had unlimited funds.

If the original goal was to buy the gun and support system for under $600, then the gun needs to be in the Maximus / Diana Storm Rider category, or Gauntlet saving $250 or so for a Hill pump. If you don't need an air supply and can spend the entire $600 on the gun, then a Hatsan bullboss or Marauder becomes available in the price point.

Honestly, were it to do it over again today, I'm not sure what I'd do.

For anyone interested, I have a new 25 Mrod Gen 2 wood stock, with 10 new tins of JSB and H&N's. UTG 3x12x44 SWAT and HILL MK3 pump for sale. The Benji was purchased at Mountain Air w/tuning. Less than 1 tin of 350 through the gun. I really like it but, like many the bullpup craze hit me. The scope will need dovetail 30MM rings. Gun will come in original box, 1 mag and single shot tray. Its like new. Trigger is really nice on this one. 
25 Mrod
10 Tins ammo
Scope and Hill MK3 pump.

$625 for the package. Split shipping from 67037.
Jake

Hate when posts vanish while typing, my slow.

I did mention we do have a classifieds section for selling, and perhaps good reasons to use that area for sale. Nice of folks to mention if they might have sosmething a poster can use ( hey I have an .177 and a.357) but think anything more than a mention should be handled either in a PM or the classifieds.

To the OP

100 to 150 will be the shooters ability not the rifle ( so much ) I have gotten decent 110 yard groups with a .177 at 18fpe but my oh my the wind DOES mess with you. Even a .25 when using diablo shapes at 90fpe the wind certainly is more affect than say a .22rf. Now using an airgun at 100+ WILL improve your shooting skills, wind doping esp but if practice for standing is your primary goal scale the distance to the airgun a bit and practice away.

And keep us posted what you get & how it does. ( esp. if you get the only airgun you will ever need the very first try)

John

edit- removed airgun model type

"TonyT"Hard to beat the 25 cal. Marauder for accuracy and reliability in that price range. Mine provides accuracy comparable to my 25 Airwolf and 25 Cricket.
Marauder, when paired with the right pellet and tuned properly is hard to beat in the price range. I have the .22 version, Gen 2, and with the 18.3 grain JSB's can routinely shoot 1 inch or so groups at 75 yards. Not much past that though. Still haven't found the 100 yard combination. Also, when increasing power for accuracy, I only get about 20 shots per fill. 30 shots with Crosman Premier Domes at 14.3 grain. Accurate at 25 and 50 yards, but the 14.3 grain gets pushed around easier by wind than the 18 grains.

Anyway, good luck