50 year old photo - My first and second airguns when I was a kid!

Man I wish I could’ve grown up in the 60’s-80’s. Seems like those times were the golden era. Most kids had airguns and their parents were OK with it. You had bunch of cool toys that are now deemed too dangerous for kids. The music was better too. The rock had more soul and the rap didn’t promote violence and opiod use. The dollar wasn’t that inflated. Not as much opposition against the second.
Yea I see why you guys call it the good ol’ days.

We felt more free back then. The list is long. So much more different than nowadays and the previous decade or two.

Cracks me up when Jeff Foxworthy talks about how you'd get your ass kicked if you wore a bike helmet back then. It was really like that, LOL!

My daughter was cataloging all the old family photos and I saw this one which I had totally forgot about.

Taken in 1970 or 71 while my Dad was stationed in Germany.

The one on the left is my first airgun which is a Daisy Field Master BB gun which my best friend Clay is holding. I was around 8-9 years old when I got it for my birthday so its a few years old by then.
The other I got when in Germany and is a Diana M27. I must have gotten the M27 shortly before the photo.

I looked pretty happy, lol!

View attachment 365951

What a great picture!!!!!!
Those boys look HAPPY.

Reactions: steve123
Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 1.11.31 PM.jpg

I grew up in the countryside in a college town. There were four of us in the neighborhood and we ran around all over the place shooting bottle rockets and bb/pellet guns. We knew better than to shoot at each other at the risk of having our rifles taken away. One of us had a Sheridan that so impressed me that I finally thought to buy one last year and still have the same rifles from the day. We’d ride our bikes a mile and a half to get bb’s when we ran low. These days I wouldn’t be surprised if the cops got called to deal with those 12 year old terrorists but I believe we are all better for what we learned.

Rick H.

Man I wish I could’ve grown up in the 60’s-80’s. Seems like those times were the golden era. Most kids had airguns and their parents were OK with it. You had bunch of cool toys that are now deemed too dangerous for kids. The music was better too. The rock had more soul and the rap didn’t promote violence and opiod use. The dollar wasn’t that inflated. Not as much opposition against the second.

I was born in 1961. I remember the good and the bad, but it was definitely a good era to grow up.

I got my NRA Safe Hunter as soon as I turned 12. My Dad immediately bought me a 12 gauge and we hunted pheasant together.

We did crazy sh_t. I recall one time towing a plastic kiddie car down a steep hill via a rope behind our banana seat bikes. We removed the front wheels from the car so that sparks would fly up from grinding on the asphalt. I was in the car when it exploded in half, my foot got caught and I was dragging down the asphalt face down until the bike driver realized.

I got some pretty good infections in the scrapes. My left knee area would explode puss when you pushed on it. My Mom was an RN at the main hospital. She didn’t “take me to the doctor“. She cleaned it up. I lived to fight another day doing stupid 12-year-old stuff.

We all had bb guns. We did more crazy sh_t... We would have shot up a bike helmet, lol.

I think the biggest loss for kids today is that overall freedoms have eroded... and surveillance has massively increased via electronic devices.

On the flip side, nowadays technology has improved so many aspects of life… airguns today kick the butt of what we had back in the day, lol.

I'm 66 and I remember those guns. I had that same Daisy Fieldmaster. I had so much fun living in the country, roaming around with my BB gun. I too would go back in a minute. Another place another time. It really was a great time to grow up.

Sure was back then!

It was a fun gun and it made me feel like I was on top of the world when I first got it at age 8 or 9. I'm sure you felt the same way.

Memory is foggy but I think I recall putting holes in tin cans?? Would yours do that?

My wife says that I was unsupervised as a child. Wrong. We were taught respect and right from wrong, and allowed to be the country boys that we were. Country boys raised by a country boy. It was a hell of a childhood. At ten-twelve years old I would saddle my horse, grab my .22 rifle, and go rabbit hunting all day long. Nobody gave it a second thought. A hell of a childhood!

I have a scar on the web between the thumb and index finger courtesy of a Diana break barrel owned by one of my fathers deer hunting buddies. He brought it back stateside after being stationed in Germany. He let me shoot it after the morning deer hunt when we were all back in camp. Might've been the same model as your pic.

We got bug the early on, didn't we??

Keep on slingin that lead!

Vines

I have a scar on the web between the thumb and index finger courtesy of a Diana break barrel owned by one of my fathers deer hunting buddies. He brought it back stateside after being stationed in Germany. He let me shoot it after the morning deer hunt when we were all back in camp. Might've been the same model as your pic.

We got bug the early on, didn't we??

Keep on slingin that lead!

Vines
Ha, I have that same scar! Though I can barely see it now because my hands are so old and dry.

Reactions: SteveV
I still have my first two Daisy bb guns. A Daisy Model 25 gold pump and a Daisy Ricochet Rifle that was basically a Red Rider that made a sound like a ricochet when it fired the bb. I got it when I was 8 or 9. I'm 71 now. We lived in the country growing up and spent all day HUNTING frogs snakes turtles mice, birds and other big game beasts! I really feel sorry for kids today. I got a 20ga. 3 shot bolt action clip fed shotgun when I turned 13 to go hunting with my Dad when I turned 13. Was not allowed to touch it unless my Dad was there and didn't even think about touching it either. Times were way different then.

I still have my first two Daisy bb guns. A Daisy Model 25 gold pump and a Daisy Ricochet Rifle that was basically a Red Rider that made a sound like a ricochet when it fired the bb. I got it when I was 8 or 9. I'm 71 now. We lived in the country growing up and spent all day HUNTING frogs snakes turtles mice, birds and other big game beasts! I really feel sorry for kids today. I got a 20ga. 3 shot bolt action clip fed shotgun when I turned 13 to go hunting with my Dad when I turned 13. Was not allowed to touch it unless my Dad was there and didn't even think about touching it either. Times were way different then.

I didn't know that the Ricochet existed, that would have been awesome back then.

You must take great care of your stuff to still have them!

I also found a pic of when I was a proud 14 year old with the Winchester M70 308 I got for my birthday.
Ha, I wanted a 25-06 back then.

20230627_093616.jpg

Last edited: