🔴 50 Silencers! Comparing Specs + Loudness + Looks

50 Silencers! Comparing Specs + Loudness + Looks

● You don’t want to spook the other squirrels as you kill their mate?

● You have anti-gun neighbors who shouldn’t know what a gun nut like you is doing in the backyard?

● You like to increase the value of your gun and extend its size by economizing its loudness?

Read on!

🔴Here is a Silencer Specs Table comparing 50 silencers, mostly for PCPs, and usually silencer models that work with different gun brands. That’s the first PDF attachment.
A second PDF attachment shows photos of some of the silencers.

Table of Contents and Overview
• Silencer Specs Table – Sorted by Length
50 Silencers
9 Silencer Loudness Comparison Tests
From 0.88" (2.2cm) thin – to 2.0" (5.1cm) thick
From 2.9" (7.4cm) short – to 10.50" (26.7cm) long
From $26 to $270
In 6 calibers. From .177 to .50 (4.5mm to 12.7mm)

• Silencers – Limited to Certain Gun Brands or Models or Springers
• Makers of Custom Silencers
• Loudness Comparisons: Test Details
• Links to Some Sellers and Prices
• Photos of Some of the Silencers ➔ separate file!

Happy silencer shopping!

Matthias

❌ Attachment 1: [updated 21Oct20]
SILENCER Specs Table. 19. 2020-10. TABLE.pdf

download.png
View attachment SILENCER Specs Table. 19. 2020-10. TABLE.1603263959.pdf

❌ Attachment 2: [updated 21Oct20]
SILENCER Photos. 19. 2020-10. PHOTOS.pdf

download.png
View attachment SILENCER Photos. 19. 2020-10. PHOTOS.1603263983.pdf

Thanks Matthias, great!

Allow me to suggest the following also:

- Hogan decimeater (UK made, sold in Europe by Krale and Richtkijker.NL for around 50EUR). 1/2unf. Excellent silencing and build. Suitable up to .25cal

- SAK (Finnish made, sold by DB Schietsport also around 50Eur). Different models. All metal. Suitable for powder burners as well. 1/2unf. They are a few cm shorter/more compact than the 20cm Decimeaters. I put them onto my pistols.

- No name, sold by Balistas for 48eur. (Czech made, amazing build and silencing). 1/2unf. 90 degree angle makes this particularly suitable to add to a shrouded gun such as the Kral Puncher jumbo. 22cm long.

Also throwing in the best kept secret: aluminum conical baffles and spacer to silence an empty shroud. 7 baffles come as part of a Chinese oil filter from Aliexpress for around 8 usd. Need a table drill to make holes in function of your cal. I always manage to make them fit. Either as is, or by adding a piece of metal broomstick around them as a spacer if the shroud internal diameter is too large. (Pic only shows 6 baffles b/c one is already "on the job") 🐦

IMG_20201004_164229.1601836075.jpg

🔶Thank you, Jan/ Parrotculler,

for your suggestions. 👍🏼 

This Specs Table is mainly adjusted for US airgunners — and you and me are the odd ones.... 😄

Getting silencers from Europe is often a bit difficult for US airgunners.... For example, Krale explicitly does not ship silencers to the US.... 😟 

German AG silencers that are freely available are adjusted for 6FPE(!) super-low powered guns — anything higher and you need a gun license that will set you back a cool four digit dollar amount. 😖 

🔶 So, maybe US airgunner could chime in right here in this post and tell us WHICH sellers in Europe DO SEND airgun silencers to the US. I'd be glad to include that information in the next version of the Silencer Specs Table.

And then I can include the European silencers found on those sellers' websites in the Specs Table, since we know they can be purchased from the US.

🔶Scott/ Motorhead,

yes, you're talking about the other half of the equation...! Very good! 👍🏼👍🏼

I think this would warrant a separate post — maybe you can give us some instructional on how to lower the noise a PCP makes — apart from making it longer by adding a silencer. That'd be awesome! 👍🏼

Matthias

@Motorhead -- I think I get your subtle drift: TRUE PCP TUNERS please make yourselves heard.

My modest contribution to that debate, as I still consider myself a first year student in that esoteric craft dominated by B Sterne and some on this forum (nudge, wink 😉):

- action noise is hard to remediate. Just let the gun tell you how hard you can crank it up. Too hard, and stress + avoidable noise are the result.

- properly regulated guns are typically quieter. Ensure the ports are in line with the caliber (80% throughout) otherwise you need to force the power with a higher setpoint, creating stress. But the golden 80% rule typically also applies to unregulated guns. My .25 Kral and even my reviled Gamo became a lot more civilized after port adjustment.

- air waste is the big noisemaker. Counteract it with a balanced tune. The holy fivesome need to be made to sing in harmony: hammer weight, hammer spring tension, reg set point, port size, and valve spring tension. I have noticed that the right mix, especially focused on valve spring length & tension, makes for a wholesome dry snap. In addition to the holy 5, an SSG also makes an amazing contribution as I have learned recently -- refer to that topic elsewhere on this site.

A lot of experimentation is needed to reach nirvana because no 2 guns are the same.

BUT HAVING SAID ALL THAT (sorry for the long tangent): a nice silencer also has a place in the package. Not only for less noise but also for greater accuracy. 🐦

That's a nice start, Parrotculler, thank you! 👍🏼👍🏼

Here's a possible outline, organized according to the types of shooting noises:

🔶How to Make Your Shooting ¡QUIET!🔶

(1) Barrel Noises (the noises emitted from the barrel)

(1a) Barrel Noises of a PCP
(1b) Barrel Noises of a Springer

(2) Action Noises
(2a) Action Noises of a Springer
(2b) Action Noises of a PCP

(3) Impact Noises
(3a) Impact Noises when Hunting
(3b) Impact Noises when Plinking and Target Shooting

(4) Projectile Flight Noises

(5) Shooter's Noises
(5a) Excitement Noises — when making a first shot kill/ scoring a bulls
(5b) Disgustment Noises — when missing for the third time in a row
(5c) Cellphone Noises
(5d) Shooter's Air Expulsion Noises

What am I missing yet?

Matthias

... Suggest to add food expulsion noises, when a perfectly accurate and expensive PCP suddenly decides to reinvent itself as a scattergun and nothing helps.

Briefly coming back to that Ali oil filter (which should be available Stateside for that same 8 bucks). Some on a low budget (or just being creative) have finagled it into a low-cost and rather effective silencer. The only trouble is the thread. It is not entirely the same as 1/2unf, but close. It worked on my Flashpup, parrots have expired at its hands. It also silences my Artemis pr900w quite effectively (attached with a plumbing connector).

I also saw recently that one Ali vendor is now selling this oil filter (powder coated in black) for around 10 bucks with an 1/2unf adapter included. 🐦

The specific dynamics / tune / parts used / port specs to power ratio ALL CHANGE with power one is after within a caliber.

Those AG's that offer the broadest range of output power more times than not won't be very efficient air use wise except in a narrow window where the PRESSURE, HAMMER WEIGHT, SPRING RATE & PORTING sending a particular weight projectile happen to fall in close sync. This point changes based up the specifics of the parts/spec currently being utilized.

The most efficiency generally happen when a PCP is fine tuned operating with ALL the system optimized using the lowest hammer weight for a specific pressure making the wanted power. Port specs, spring rate being adjusted accordingly. DONE ..... dwell is low and muzzle report will be low even before entering a silencing devise. 

Silencers ( Noise amplitude attenuation ) become far more able to be controlled / mitigated. No longer are you dealing with such mass flow masking a little via silencer, having the ratio become greater via the silencing devise because the air flow threw said devise has been greatly reduced.

Excessive Valve DWELL greater than is what required to make the power really needed is at the heart of residual noise emanating from muzzle. Proper tuning for efficiency is one thing and fairly in depth to get right. LOW NOISE is the bonus / side effect one gains when done correctly. 

I'm not going to get into a major tuning tutorial for it would be a small book that looked more like a ladder chart ... SO MANY variables ever shifting one would easily get lost.

By in large Gone are the days of JUST DO THIS ... because our PCP's are becoming more and more refined as delivered and inking more from them has become more complex.

Scott S

Reactions: Parrotculler