• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airforce .50 cal Texan LSS advice needed

sorry my Texan is the .457, but it shoots practically any ball or slug accurately, you should be good, Id guess you would get about 900 Fps with those slugs, I use the same slug out of my Umarex Hammer, but I have never had a chance to get a Chrony on it, good for about 75 yards, close range is best.
Ty I have the .457 also that one shoots lights out 348 grain Nielsen at 845 FPS. Knocks the hogs right down.

Just got a .50 Texan LSS. I have Nielsen 388 grain slugs.
At what velocity are these slugs performing best?
Is there a better choice of slug or different weight of slug that performs well is this rifle?
Will use this setup for Hogs and deer.
Thank you for the advice
Frank
The Texan .510 will perform well with most any slug. I’ve personally found the neilsons fly straight, but the smallish hollow point and harder lead can cause the bullet to fail to expand. I personally use Mr. Hollow Point slugs and they are game stoppers. When your rifle is properly tuned, it will sling the 255gr Mr. H.P. at just over 1,000fps and easily stop a 400lb hog with no problem. Last time out I shot the Mr. H.P. 385gr micro as it bucks the wind better then the 255gr and I can personally vouch for just how deadly each of these slugs are. Now either of these slugs will shoot close to a 1” group at 100 yards. At distances beyond 200 yards the 255’s will not be as accurate as the 385’s. HOPE THIS HELPS!
If you have a good reliable chronograph, I can walk you through properly tuning your rifle, if you don’t have a good chrony, just shoot the thing and have fun!
The silhouette in the background is at 600 yards, and the circular 10’ gong in the lower right is at 400 yards, I was unable to hit either target with the 255 gr slugs, the 385gr micro slugs by Mr. HP leave the barrel at just over 950fps and will reach out and touch both the 400 and 600 with such authority that the lead bullets explode on the steel… undoubtedly very deadly at 400 and 600 yards. FYI; My AirForce Texan .510 is not stock, in its current configuration I’m tuning at just over 4,700 psi.

IMG_0331.png

IMG_0340.jpeg

IMG_0349.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0326.jpeg
    IMG_0326.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
Last edited: