• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

5 shots inside 2in @ 326 Yards?!?!

I know little about long range shooting...but pretty amazing to achieve that much consistency from an air powered rifle. How is it regulated? Even with a firearm that has a precise charge behind every bullet, this would be good. I am assuming that he is using a bullet shaped projectile to get that much consistency and a usable trajectory. I guess if you launch a bullet shaped aerodynamic projectile at high enough speed and put consistent repeatable power behind it...the sky is the limit. 

"ashes5"I don't know the report of the gun and the hit of the bullet was awful close. At that distance the bullet would be traveling pretty slow.

i figured I would get some controversy going. Nice shooting

No controversy there mate, I think the microphone on the camera was picking up the air disturbance as the bullet went past but that it is one excellent group whether it was shot with a powderburner or air rifle, I wonder if he knocked those turkey silhouettes behind his target over first,lol

Last year he was shooting at over 1000 yards. It wasn't very accurate though. He stated that he was intending to spend the winter rebuilding the gun to improve the accuracy.

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=100182.0

900+ yards

1000+ yards:

I don't think that these images will load in-line. They're behind a protected wall at GTA, but the link should work.
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=100182.0;attach=141834;image
index.php

"ashes5"I don't know the report of the gun and the hit of the bullet was awful close. At that distance the bullet would be traveling pretty slow.

i figured I would get some controversy going. Nice shooting
=) I thought about that. Let's do a thought experiment. His muzzle velocity is nearly supersonic. The sound leaves the muzzle at the same time the bullet leaves the muzzle. Since the bullet is never supersonic you will always hear the shot before you see the splash. How much before is a function of the race between the bullet and the sound and how much the bullet falls off. We could do the math but that would take calculus. It takes the sound about 3/4 of a second to travel that distance. It probably takes the bullet about a second and a half to cover that distance. This is just a sloppy model but you can see that it should sound like he is closer than he is when you look at it like a race between the sound and the bullet.

Fair dinkum straight to the point statement there, AZ, no beating around the bush, but ease up on the " kangaroo territory " bit or I will send one around to box ya ears,lol,
I have only ventured into airguns in the last 5 years, with my first air rifle I was happy with 1 inch groups at 50yds then after researching on the net realised it could be better and being a tinkerer have tuned ( a reasonably easy process, Daystates are not all that complicated) that air rifle to be consistently 1/2 inch or better at that distance but will it outshoot my Annie64 or Sako rimfires with their preferred ammo, No. I don't disagree with you as a tuned benchrest rifle whether it is RF,CF or Air is always going to outperform what the average shooter with an off the shelf rifle can expect, if anyone has the opportunity to attend a benchrest match it will open their eyes to what accurate rifles are, although I am constantly amazed at what people are able to achieve with air power at some incredible distances such as ol' mate in the video, I am still chasing that 1MOA group at 100yds and that is about all I expect in reality from my air rifles.

Cheers from Downunder

"azuaro"I am always amazed about what people believe their air guns are capable of shooting! 

2 inches at 326 yards is the equivalent to much less than 1/2 inch at 100 yards...If you consider and add the fact that THERE ARE NO WIND FLAGS in this test, these claims become exponentially amazing and I am geometrically impressed ! Consider that a 1/2 a MOA gun at 100 is in theory a 2 MOA at 300 but this never happens, wind and other get into the equation and the gap widens much more as distance increases...
So 1/2 MOA at 100 becomes more like 3 MOA at 300 yards and the same works backwards, in this case a 2 MOA at 300 becomes sub 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. 

If you add in this test that the velocities seem to be SUPERSONIC or near Supersonic where all projectiles are not very stable nor accurate, this really blows my mind! 

No airgun is capable of beating a Benchrest .22 RF as we speak...This is a fact, PERIOD!, there is no room for discussion about this topic...This issue has been proven over and over at BR ranges, and if it were possible, we would be seeing airguns competing at the BR big leagues...

There is a guy in kangaroo territory who has claimed around airgun forums and even in magazines that he has regularly beaten Benchrest RF guns and shooters and that he "Gives them a run for their money". Well, the truth of the matter is that all of these claims and other of his fascinating long distance groups (also with no flags) are only fictitious, mere fabrications and the product of a senile imagination of a wannabe 80 year old mind in search of glory and notoriety...While this subject is allowed to shoot in some club BR competitions as a sign of camaraderie and respect for an old timer (or so I am being told), there is no record of him ever winning a registered shot or a serious competition using his airguns vs. dedicated .22 RF Benchrest rifles. 

A different story would be someone beating that rusty Mossberg or JC. Higgings .22 RF inherited from our great-great grandfather...Yes, that can be done, but again: Nobody has ever beaten a Turbo or similar .22 RF action with a Shilen Ratchet or an equivalent top of the line BR gun combination with any kind of airgun...

if you take a look at what a Bleiker gun can do at 100 yards using ELEY"S TENEX $25.00 ammo (per box of 50 rounds), it is not difficult to understand that many of these fabulous airgun claims over the internet are not what they seem to be...The Bleiker is a Swiss gun that has been winning most of the world championships and Olympic competitions in recent years, and Eley Tenex is the most or one of the most accurate RF ammunition ever manufactured...The shooter who did the testing is also a champion, so the combination of gun, ammo and shooter is pure dynamite...
Note that this Bleiker barely shoots 1/2 inch at 100 and you can see the results of the ammo testing at: 
http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

The fact that any gun may have shot a very tiny group, or two, at 50 or 100 yards one day DOES NOT MEAN NOR SHOW the capabilities of the gun...If anyone shoots hundreds of groups at any distance, this person will undoubtedly shoot one, two or a few very small groups...But for claiming that this gun shoots shoots those very little groups, those little tiny groups would have to be replicated time and again to ve valid...Show us the rest of the groups and not only those amazingly little ones!

For anyone wanting to know what kinds of groups his gun shoots (at any distance), then shoot 40 pellets and measure the size of the group...There have been many studies and statistical analysis done by labs and ammo manufacturers (ELEY and LAPUA) and they all coincide and have determined that 40 shots is about the statistical fair number...So, our 3-5 and even 10 shot groups are not representative of what our guns shoot.

To finalize, it is a fact that all of these super claims only FRUSTRATE honest shooters who believe their guns are not up to par with the rest of the guns out there...Worse when these bogus claims have an echo of shooters full of wishful thinking. Forums become decadent when wishful thinking and fabrication of facts take over reality, don't echo BS.

Understand and tattoo this fact on your brain:
YOUR AIRGUN IS SIMPLY NOT CAPABLE OF SHOOTING .500 INCH OR LESS GROUPS AT 100...Not even close!...So don't suffer if it doesn't shot this well because there are no other guns doing it anywhere else but on the internet !!! 

Does anyone still believe an airgun is capable of repetitive 2 MOA at 300 yards or sub 1/2 MOA at 100 yards?...Well, then ask Mike Thomas Niksch who manufactures the Thomas BR gun that won some world class airgun benchrest competitions last July precisely in kangaroo country...Three of his guns got got first place and first and second consolation places (second and third places for those who still believe there is room for 2nd & 3rd places).

This Thomas gun is one of the most if not the most accurate benchrest airgun produced nowadays...Mike is an honest man located in Arizona (USA) an I have no doubts that if you ask him if his gun can shoot 1/2 MOA or better at 100, or 2 MOA at a distance of more than 300 yards, he will give you a weird look and would not even consider answering you...I shoot against one of these guns in very good hands every month and I know what these babies are capable of shooting; we shoot registered 25 meters HV & LV and an open at 50 meters just for the fun of doing it.

Regards for all members...

AZ
Well mr. AZ, that's a pretty bold statement you are making.

But I respecfully disagree. The 100m competition in The Netherlands has a couple of shooters (around 10) which were able to beat the 300 points barrier.
The 10 ring is 3cm, so they are consistently shooting within 3cm at 100m. Imagine that.

And as far as my own experience goes, I have shot several 5 shot groups at 100m which were below 15mm ctc. I know what my guns can do.

Maybe the tattoo on some brains need to be removed....

Regards,

G

P.s. Not nice to talk about "the 80yo aussie" like that, for me the man is a legend. I like reading his stories.

"azuaro"Hello Mr. G,

If my math is correct, 3 cm. are 1.18 inches which are roughly the same number in MOA at 100 ....I said that your airguns are not capable of shooting .500 inches or less at 100....

So my friend, I respectfully don't see solid arguments for your disagreement,

As far as your gun(s) shooting several 5 shot groups at 100 below 15 mm....Read the post above, if you shoot many groups there will be 1, 2 or a few very tight small groups as you mention, but this is not what your gun can shoot consistently....Shoot a 40 shot group and that is what your gun is capable of shooting...And NO, this group will not be near what you think your guns are capable of shooting.

Regards,

AZ
Forgot to mention that the 100m matches are shot without a rear rest, it is not benchrest style☺
So most error is caused by the shooter, not the airgun.
But I have to agree that it is less common to find a .5 moa airgun than a .5 moa firearm.
If pellets were more consistent, I'm sure the results would be even better. 
My opinion is that pellets are actually the limiting factor in AG shooting with high tech airguns.
With the right combination of pellet and gun (just like firearms) the results are amazing.