• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

5 rats after work...

Two quick hours at the dairy the four smaller rats at 40 yards. The fatty at 25 yards, I almost, almost feel sorry for them. All DRT one shot kills.

2A2ABB1E-DF91-461F-9A5E-26F57F93E428.1627339600.jpeg

Very nice.

I've always wondered how you rat shooters get em during the day like this, care to share? Bait? Wait and watch? Really densely populated rat areas so simply a numbers game that you'll see some?

Would love to add some more pesting fun to my airgunning. I guess I kinda clump rats together with gophers, yes, they can be shot, but I just don't have the patience to sit by their hole for hours and hours waiting for a 10 second flurry of kicking dirt. That's obviously an inaccurate assessment, as you guys that are ratters seem to be pretty productive in your rat hunting, and I just cant imagine you're all sitting and waiting and watching like a guy would for deer in a treestand. 

@franklink, at this particular dairy the rats are active during the day. I've already scouted out known, productive runways or locations. I typically set up an over watch position that lets me monitor at least three different shooting areas. Lots of glassing with my Binos... I do sprinkle some of the grain already on the premises to entice them further. These are very, very wary rats as there are four dogs on the premises. So most if not all of my shot are on furtive rats right on top of their holes. In many instances I have to reach into the holes with my trusty grabbers. My Bantam is wickedly accurate so I can precisely place my shots for anchoring kills. But, yes it is a numbers game, rats breed more in times of stress so the more I kill the more they reproduce... They will be here long after I'm gone. When the daytime rat action slows down I go after the starlings... 

@franklink, at this particular dairy the rats are active during the day. I've already scouted out known, productive runways or locations. I typically set up an over watch position that lets me monitor at least three different shooting areas. Lots of glassing with my Binos... I do sprinkle some of the grain already on the premises to entice them further. These are very, very wary rats as there are four dogs on the premises. So most if not all of my shot are on furtive rats right on top of their holes. In many instances I have to reach into the holes with my trusty grabbers. My Bantam is wickedly accurate so I can precisely place my shots for anchoring kills. But, yes it is a numbers game, rats breed more in times of stress so the more I kill the more they reproduce... They will be here long after I'm gone. When the daytime rat action slows down I go after the starlings...

Awesome. Similar to what I do for Euro doves and ground squirrels at my extended families feedlot. 

Looks like lots of fun. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Nice shooting,the bantam looks like it’s still shooting great
1f44d.svg
i dont fell sorry for the rats
1f602.svg

I’m plinking these on an almost daily basis at 102 yards. First round hits are what I’m looking for, the Bantam doesn’t disappoint when I do my part.

image.1627349627.jpeg

Practice, practice, practice, practice, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc... makes perfect! (grin)