• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.458 Missouri Bullets 405gn & Berry's plated 45-70 350gn RNFP

Tested some Missouri Bullets #1 buffalo in my 457 Texan LSS and thought I'd share if anyone was thinking of trying these. I called the company and asked them to size these from .459 down to .458

1681799498336.png

Rifle Settings: Power Wheel maxed towards butt stock. Carbon bottle filled to 3500psi, taking 2 shots, then topping off at 3500psi for the 3rd shot. 50 yards, so nothing to brag about, but it is still .26" center to center (1/2MOA) for 3 shots. Velocity is 2780-2810fps depending on the shot number. (I am pleased with these!!!). My rest position was: sitting on a rock, rifle perched over fallen tree, with each elbow on a knee. This position is pretty steady, but not the max steadiness I can achieve with a proper bench or prone. I believe these bullets would do 1 hole groups if my shooting was perfect and I topped off every shot. Next I'll have to see if they hold that precision at 100 yards. I also tried shooting them backwards for a wider meplat. The wound channel in river bottom mud was twice as big as shooting them nose first, but the accuracy was not there, I suspect because I was unable to seat them into the chamber consistently, base first. (and unfortunately I did not chronograph them backwards to see if there was any velocity difference). Looks like this gun likes 405gr

405gn 3600-3500 psi fill.jpg

If you've wondered about shooting Berry's 45-70 plated 350gn RNFP, don't waste your money. They almost always gut stuck in the breach, then a tank dump, and you have to wait for the hissing to stop to open the breach, pound it out with a rod, then refill your tank from 0psi. They are just a little too hard to conform to the rifling for our air pressures. I did get 1 to pop out the end and it penetrated a sand bag, hanging out the back side of the bag. This is not a bad review of the Berry's. It was meant for powder. It just doesn't work in this pellet rifle.

Also, if you own a Texan, do your self a favor and champfer (or round off) the top sharp edge of the chamber that likes to catch and shave the top of bullets when your force them into the chamber. I used fine sand paper, curled around my pinky and pushed in and out and twist, while keeping the sand paper on the top edge of the chamber. Now if the projectile is barely oversized, it squeezes it down instead of shaving off the top side of the projectile. Squeezing lead down doesn't hurt accuracy as much as shaving lead off.