• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

44 grains at 100 yard benchrest, Why?

Right now i have my impact tuned for the 50 grain jsbs at 900 fps and getting sub MOA pretty consistantly so i guess ill just stick with that then. I tried those Zan 56 grains and kept getting one out of every 5 shots were a flyer but i wasnt tuned for that weight
I been trying my hand at 100y bench with my Maverick VP .30cal, and I did so so with my second try at it, on a pretty windy day:

1. JSB Hades
  2. JSB Knockouts
  3. FX Hybrid Slugs
  4. JSB Exacts 50.15gr
  5. FX Hybrids
  6. JSB Knockouts

20230512_162244.jpg

Something to stew on, but every time I hear the comment made on “one every five” or every fifth shot is a flier, the common gun is the impact, and the discipline is bench or target shooting. I’ve caught myself enough times to realize, that maybe the plenum isn’t fully recharged. We all try and get off three to five quick cycle shots when the wind is in our favor, and it’s somewhere within those three to five shots one lands off in no man’s land and we label it that one flier out of five.

Just on my Impact I find I can rattle off three consistent shots for group and if I push for a fourth, it’s no where near the group. And this is shooting tethered to a tank, even. I’ve also found that counting to 12 and then pulling the trigger for each shot, my groups are very consistent.

Just thought I’d throw that out there

Just on my Impact I find I can rattle off three consistent shots for group and if I push for a fourth, it’s no where near the group. And this is shooting tethered to a tank, even. I’ve also found that counting to 12 and then pulling the trigger for each shot, my groups are very consistent.

My Impact MK2 is also tethered @ 195 bars, I am considering that as a first Reg. Also tuning with a one-piece rest to minimize the human error, so the remaining is only = the elements.
I spent many thousand shots with CF sleeved liners last year and this year and recently went back to orings and let the liner free float. I got a feel the harmonics is more friendly and predictable.
Currently sizing my .25 pellets and I would do that with slugs as well if I could source the tool, but have not seen any MFG that does a good and precise job... I am talking 5 microns increments.

Something to stew on, but every time I hear the comment made on “one every five” or every fifth shot is a flier, the common gun is the impact, and the discipline is bench or target shooting. I’ve caught myself enough times to realize, that maybe the plenum isn’t fully recharged. We all try and get off three to five quick cycle shots when the wind is in our favor, and it’s somewhere within those three to five shots one lands off in no man’s land and we label it that one flier out of five.

That's the reason that I got rid of the first regulator on my new MK3......I used the Saber Tactical fitting. The gun shoots more consistent now.....

What is this "saber tactical fitting" you speak of?
It's a straight through fitting that replaces the first regulator on a MK3 Impact.....You take the bottle off and remove the fitting that the bottle screws on to...the first regulator is made inside that fitting, you replace that fitting with the Saber Tactical fitting and you no longer have a first regulator. It also increased my shot count also....I get over 80 shots per fill now.....

It's a straight through fitting that replaces the first regulator on a MK3 Impact.....You take the bottle off and remove the fitting that the bottle screws on to...the first regulator is made inside that fitting, you replace that fitting with the Saber Tactical fitting and you no longer have a first regulator. It also increased my shot count also....I get over 80 shots per fill now.....
Isnt the whole point of the second regulator to be more consistant shot to shot?

The theory of having two regulators is supposed to be more consistent between shots....but, the reality is my brand new out the box MK3 was not consistent until I removed the first regulator.
What was your spread before and after? After tuning my rifle, i get a spread of 4 with deviation of 2 fps with the 2 regs