.401 and .457 bullet mold

I'm wanting to get into bullet casting for my big bores I've never did it before any tips and tricks would be appreciated! I'm wanting to do it the cheapest way 1. 35$ lee molds off amazon for my pbba .457 and XP badger .401 and a 30$ electric melting pot lead 2. Lead fishing weights. And is it possible I could get away without a lee sizing die

Screenshot_20240330-200646.png

Screenshot_20240330-200748.png

I'll have three Lee .401 molds on order that will arrive in the next couple of weeks, as I have a PBBA .401. I'll offer a sampler after casting them. Honestly, that is the cheapest way. There is a possibility that none of them will work for you.
Forget about those cheap lead melting pots. I bought a hot pot 2 and had the exact same kind of thinking you did. Pouring from a 5lb. pot into a 1/8" hole is not doable. Maybe for sinkers, but not for these molds. It is nearly impossible for consistent bullets, and the lead gets everywhere. I had to break down and buy a bottom pour. The experience was simply too painful.
You'll need to buy a bottom pour pot, the molds, a press to size the casts, the dies, candle wax, spoon to scrape out the slag, silicone hammer, lead from a local recycling center, bullet lube, and a hot plate to warm up the molds (to minimize wrinkled bullets) at a minimum. The low end is $350 to get started.
If you want to try out the .401's now, hunters supply has several. However, it will cost $30 per box + shipping to try out each one. You'll receive 100 but you'll only need 25 at most.
So if you want to get into casting the smart way, try as many cast bullets as you can out of your .457 & .401. Then only buy the molds that are proven performers. This way you only buy what you need.

• Love
Reactions: anonymous_.457
I'll have three Lee .401 molds on order that will arrive in the next couple of weeks, as I have a PBBA .401. I'll offer a sampler after casting them. Honestly, that is the cheapest way. There is a possibility that none of them will work for you.
Forget about those cheap lead melting pots. I bought a hot pot 2 and had the exact same kind of thinking you did. Pouring from a 5lb. pot into a 1/8" hole is not doable. Maybe for sinkers, but not for these molds. It is nearly impossible for consistent bullets, and the lead gets everywhere. I had to break down and buy a bottom pour. The experience was simply too painful.
You'll need to buy a bottom pour pot, the molds, a press to size the casts, the dies, candle wax, spoon to scrape out the slag, silicone hammer, lead from a local recycling center, bullet lube, and a hot plate to warm up the molds (to minimize wrinkled bullets) at a minimum. The low end is $350 to get started.
If you want to try out the .401's now, hunters supply has several. However, it will cost $30 per box + shipping to try out each one. You'll receive 100 but you'll only need 25 at most.
So if you want to get into casting the smart way, try as many cast bullets as you can out of your .457 & .401. Then only buy the molds that are proven performers. This way you only buy what you need.

I would have never thought that casting would be so involved :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: anonymous_.457