400+ yards with the .308 Texan

Got out for a morning session with Steveoh to shoot our .308 and .257 Texans. We both were able to consistently hit the steel at 400+ (my range finder was at 405, his was at 427) yards. I picked up a larger piece of 30"x30" thin (i.e. lightweight and easy to carry) steel at a local fab shop from their remnant pile. Worked great to be able to get on target fast and stay there. This was the first time I've shot past 300 yards. The only time I've shot at 300 was last year and I used factory bullets and a Hawke Vantage scope, but limited reticles (4 mildot). I was able to hit a 24"x24" square about 3 out of 4 shots at 300 yards then. This time I had home cast/sized/lubed bullets and a tactical scope (although an inexpensive BSA; $110.00) Both Steve and I were able to hit the 400 yard target on every shot, and for me I was grouping really well at 300 yards. Groups were impossible to see at 400 and a 1/4 mile walk to paint a target is an undertaking. That being said, we set up a couple of used spray paint and soda cans around the target and Steve scored three hits with .257. While I didn't manage a hit, I was dancing all around them. We were fortunate enough to have a place to shoot with a lot of dry dirt so it was easy to see the impacts.

Once again the Arsenal .309 115 gr. flat nose gas check proved it's worth. This little bullet drops out at 110 grains for me and is the best all around bullet for accuracy that I've used so far. The NOE 134 gr. BBT is very, very good as well but the previously mentioned is more consistent for me.

Great day for Steveoh whom has never shot past 200 yards before. It was awesome to see the joy in him from hitting that 400 yard target repeatedly. We all spend time and money (especially money) on this hobby and getting to see and experience the results is awesome. Great fun, great friends, and getting out to do what we love. 

Any other big bore enthusiasts in the North Bay Area of California? Would be great to get together to 'release the hounds'.

LOL. I get where you're coming from. I haven't ventured into the realm of 'ridiculous' yet with using an adjustable scope base or rings. I'm holding on target using the mildots no different than I do when using my pellet shooters at 25 yards, 50 yards, etc. The center crosshair is WAY above the target, sure, but I'm still on the dots and hitting what I'm shooting at. 

Truth be told, ALL airguns are 'lobbing'. That's part of the appeal. It's much tougher than a firearm when dealing with yardages, regardless of airgun caliber. I have a lot of fun shooting my .25 cal. pellet shooter at 150 to 200 yards too. Shooting through the same dime sized hole at 50 yards gets boring.

I've fought the urge to go for the 'scope tilt' and I may never do it. I was surprised to find that I can be well within my mildots at 425 yards, but 500 might be asking too much. Being as how we can't hunt big game in CA it's just a bench shooting thing until turkey season so it's not like I'm messing with my hunting set up. May as well have some fun.

There is no direct link between caliber and long range capacity. Regarding initial data the hammer will launch really small and lightweight bullet at a decent velocity. Bc will probably be lower than what i achieve from my 457 tex or most of the 257 builds.

The equation to determine long range accuracy must include bullet design, speed, weight, barrel length and twist rate at minima.

Anyway wait and see what the hammer will have to offer.

There is no direct link between caliber and long range capacity. Regarding initial data the hammer will launch really small and lightweight bullet at a decent velocity. Bc will probably be lower than what i achieve from my 457 tex or most of the 257 builds.

The equation to determine long range accuracy must include bullet design, speed, weight, barrel length and twist rate at minima.

Anyway wait and see what the hammer will have to offer.

Just don't hold your breath