• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

$400 budget for scope

I'd like to stay under $400. Which one and why?

• Arken SH4 4-14X44 ($350)
  • FX Element Helix 6-24x50 ($400)
  • Athlon Optics 4-14x44 Talos BTR ($300)

I currently have a SWFA SS 16x and like it. If it was *just* a bit brighter and handle high-contrast lighting better, I'd not be asking this...

What I like:

• MIL not MOA
  • Prefer smaller and lighter where possible
  • Illumination not needed (in fact the fewer bells and whistles the better)
  • I love the SWFA reticle. Anything similar would be fine. I DON'T like busy reticles
  • Need to be able to survive on a springer and/or have a great warranty

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks!

If you like the SWFA Mil Quad reticle then you'll PROBABLY like this scope. DAMN ITS CLEAR! Got it in a trade. I do own Couple of SWFA SS Scopes too. I'm not a scope snob. I'm a scope A$$HOLE. Yo!

1590972590_9271141855ed450aeae22e2.81226147.jpg

I vote for the Helix. It has a really nice reticle in MRAD or MOA. Internals for the turrets are metal, so the repeatability factor is there if you are dialing. Has the zero stop as well as a sunshade. Also has the Lifetime warranty, which is nice. I'm looking at this one myself for a P-rod carbine build. A lot of great features in a $399 scope that would cost a lot more in other brands. 

Keith

Salut YO, how are the turrets on that discovery? I like to mark the turrets to shoot for different distances. Are the turrets exact for clicks? I like the turrets on the SWFA.

It lines up perfectly CLICKS are positive but just so you know you pull up to click then press down to lock however it's still a Chinese scope and I personally wouldn't use it specifically for clicking for every shot but that's just me. I don't wanna find out on a missed shot someday. Yo!

I have had a Sightmark before. It was just a small 3x for a crossbow, but it was SUPER clear.

I'm wondering if I would find any clearer glass for $400 (or less) than this one:

SightMark Citadel 3-18x50mm MR2

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightmark-citadel-3-18x50mm-mr2-riflescope.html 

FWIW, I really do like the element, but I'm not willing to wait for it to come out. (Just ordered a new brocock sniper hp.)

So the runners up are the Athlon Talos and Blackhound. I'd love to hear from anyone who owns (or has used) any of these scopes!

Thanks!